• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Incorrect default color rendering on HEIC files (iOS and Android Captures)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC Version 11.3

Os Windows 10 21H2

Problem:

Panoramas shot on iPhone 13pro and imported in Lightroom Classic in heic-Format.

When opened in the develop-module,  the colors are changing completely without touching any button. This also happens when a heic-pano is exported to jpg from the library-module right after import. The attached picture shows the original and the exported jpg.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. We have released a fix for this issue for Android and iOS. Check your App Store for the update. See this post for more information. https://adobe.ly/3EUZjRR

Sorry for the frustration.:radio_button:rs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13. The update contains a fix for this issue.  Please download and the latest version of your application via the Adobe Creative Cloud Application or your respective device app store.

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]. 

Note: App store availability can take several days for the update to appear and be available. 

T

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
98 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating issue to iOS and Android adding Camera Raw bug numbers 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13. The update contains a fix for this issue.  Please download and the latest version of your application via the Adobe Creative Cloud Application or your respective device app store.

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]. 

Note: App store availability can take several days for the update to appear and be available. 

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. We have released a fix for this issue for Android and iOS. Check your App Store for the update. See this post for more information. https://adobe.ly/3EUZjRR

Sorry for the frustration.:radio_button:rs

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this problem occurs on Windows Lightroom Classic too. As everybody else mentioned above, photos are washed out and fluorescent. I believe you're already working on this issue for Windows too. The bug seems to be affecting new HEIC photos but also old photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed an issue regarding the rendeting of colors with panoramic heic files shot on iPhone starting with the last release of Lightroom (Classic or Mobile)

Original file screen capture from LR rendering (since HEIC cannot be attached!!!)

Screen capture as rendered in LR classic (all settings at 0, except some reframing)

Version Lightroom Classic: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
Licence: Creative Cloud
Paramètre de langue: fr-CA
Système d'exploitation : Mac OS 12
Version : 12.3.1 [21E258]
Architecture de l'application : arm64
Nombre de processeurs logiques: 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to the latest version of LR Classic v11.3.1  I am getting major colour and exposure shifts only on panoramic images imported from an iPhone 13.  This was not an issue previously. All other imges reproduce just fine.  Looked at in PS, the panoramic images are fine. I am on an Apple Mac 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is today, May 1, 2022 (LRC ver.11.3.1) The photos were taken with a Samsung S20 FE format HEIC. My photos were imported a few weeks ago so the preview looks normal, but when I go into the develop module, it's blown out like everyone elses. Notice the Gamma Shift in the histogram.

And while I'm at it, fix the Wide Angle Camera issue on Samsung Phones. You can't noise reduce images taken with the wide lens. This happens in Photoshop ACR too.

Develop.JPGPreview.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some HEIC files from OnePlus 10 Pro phone are not displayed correctly in LR Classic 11.3.1 (Camera Raw 14.3), Windows 10 Pro. See screenshot. I tried uploading two files in question for debugging but your uploader doesn't support the format, so here is a link instead:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgLYorkr0ElFgfE68PDBor82JNzLZw?e=kvzeGs

helmutsteiner_0-1651744872579.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/supported-file-formats.html

and here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update? Is this working for anyone yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TiedToThe90s 

LR iOS has already released a fix.  Other LR apps will see the fix in future releases (weeks not months)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos taken on my Note 20 Ultra in HEIC format show up extremely washed out and with incorrect colors once imported to lightroom. They appear fine in Explorer and on the phone, as well as immediately after import for a few seconds. JPG photos taken with the Note 20 Ultra are completely fine. 

I've attached a comparison of what the images look like in LR Classic (left) vs. what they are actually supposed to look like & how they appear in Explorer (right).

I'd appreciate any help in fixing this issue as I use Lightroom Classic as my primary tool to keep my photo library of 5 TB organized, including my phone photos - but this is making it practically useless and I am considering switching away for good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe employee Charlie.D recently wrote, "LR iOS has already released a fix.  Other LR apps will see the fix in future releases (weeks not months)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thank you very much - hopefully this fix will roll out to Windows very soon as this has been an issue for quite a while now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it correct to say that this is a recently introduced bug? I'm sure I have successfully Imported and Developed HEIC photos from my Smasung Galaxy phone in LrC previously. It's only in the past couple of weeks or so that I've noticed the washed out, fluorescent colors appear when moving from Library to Develop modules.  Is it possible to backout the version that caused this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MalcolmSu Yes, It's recent. It worked for me (LrC) last month and then didn't. I don't think you can back out because I believe it's an Adobe Camera Raw issue... which I don't think you can reverse. Notice, in Photoshop you should be able to open the files, but if you use ACR to open them, they look identical to LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing images from phone I found out that the colors are totally off in the imported images. This has never happened before. The phone or any import settings have not changed since the previous import. There are no custom import presets in use. Raw image import from an SLR camera works normally. The images are from Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

I'm suspecting this is related to the latest release v11.3.1 (Windows). or to one from the last a couple of months. Images from previous imports are not affected (previous import containing HEIC files was around end of February)

HEIC image is not allowed as an attachment here, but I can deliver one on request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import a picture to lightroom from my iPhone.  Then I press the "auto" button to set optimal values.  The colors in the image change to a lighter magenta/light-blue scheme.  Unclicking auto changes the picture to be a washed-out version of the original.  Nothing I do resets the picture or allows me to use the original colors in the picture.  However, the preview thumbnail has the correct colors.  And, if I select a different picture and then the affected one, for a moment it shows up correctly and then changes back to the washed-out, magenta based colors.  This is driving me crazy.  It doesn't happen on every photo but on quite a few.  The color adjustment tools cannot completely compensate for this problem.

If I export the image with the "original + settings" option, I get my original HEIC file, which appears correct in the preview viewer on my mac. Exporting as a JPEG produces the incorrect colors in the exported file.  I'd include that here but this system won't let me attach it. If I open it in Photoshop, the colors are incorrect (magenta-ized.)

I have included a short screen capture video showing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just returned from a month travelling, using LR Mobile on iPad and a combination of Nikon DSLR and iPhone 12 Pro camera.   Both sources were integrated into LR Mobile environment and looked good.

When I opened LR Classic at home on my iMac, the photos all showed up, but when reviewing them, there were a few pictures that were quite different than the way they look on the iPad.    Digging into it a bit further, this seems to be specific to scenarios where the source was an HEIC Panorama taken on the iPhone.   No processing had been done in Photos before they were added to Lightroom Mobile using the Add from Camera roll option.

The profile used was the default Color profile applied.   Because it wasn't one of my Raw files, I didn't try using any other profiles.   I did start by hitting the Auto option in the Edit module and then tinkering with a few sliders.

The source photo looks fine in Photos on both iPad and iMac.   So I don't think its a monitor calibration issue.   All other HEIC source photos look the same on iPad and iMac.

I have included 4 screen shots of the same photo (sorry they are not all the same size - but it was really the colour cast I was trying to highlight):

- Pano in Photos on iPad

- Pano in Photos on iMac

- LR Mobile version after import and edits on iPad Pro

- LR Classic version after sync from LR Mobile

Any thoughts?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with my HEIC photos from my Samsung S20 FE, since 22.04.14. After dropping it to Lr Classic/ Lr Mobile it looks white and weird. Any ideas?

First screen is from loading into lr for android, second one shows after processing it. 

A before.jpgB After.jpg

[merged from separate thread - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was introduced in LR 11.3:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-incorrect-default-color-rendering-on-heic-files-ios...

Adobe employee Charlie.D said on 5/10/22, "LR iOS has already released a fix.  Other LR apps will see the fix in future releases (weeks not months).  While waiting for LR 11.4, you could roll back to 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

merged

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On our Samsung phones (S10 and Note 10+ 5G) we switched to the heic file format, as soon as lightroom supported these pictures (spring 2020).

Since then, we have almost 10.000 heic pictures in our collection, including invaluable memories of our family, safari/travel and so on. We manage over 150.000 private pictures with lightroom and we are very dependend on it.

As I said, everything was fine until April this year. With one of the (automatic) updates there must have been a change in how lightroom handles the colors of heic files. During the import process the colours are completely messed up (see example attached, original heic file: https://we.tl/t-kwaKMKeGxq).

This happens with Lightroom mobile under Android, with Lightroom classic under Windows 11 and with Lightroom CC.

If I open the same file on our phones or on the PC with Windows photo viewer, irfanview or any other app, the colours are fine.

Interestingly, it doesn't only affect new imported files, but also ALL our previous heic files, and these had normal colours until recently.

Please have a look what happened, fix that terrible bug and save our memories!

Thank you very much, indeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate