Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bake xmp changed into my Canon RAW files

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks

This last update of camera raw 12.3 creates .xmp files besides my Canon CR2 raw files....

How do I bake my changed settings back into the CR2 file like have done for so may years before?

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 12.30.13 PM.png

-David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Apparently the option to utilize a database instead of external XMP files is no longer available. Another "feature" of Camera Raw 12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

First, you have never been able to bake anything into a proprietary raw in any version; Adobe treats these raws as read only. You could and still can do so with DNG. 

What has changed, and correctly outlined is that the Camera Raw Database is no more. As outlined below, it could cause more issues than it helped:

Camera Raw Database
If you want to do absolutely no file management, and you work on only one computer, the advantage of saving settings in the Camera Raw database is that they're index

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the option to utilize a database instead of external XMP files is no longer available. Another "feature" of Camera Raw 12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since I have been using bridge and camera raw for over 10 years.... 

Keeping my systems and project small and simple has alway be key.

So for the over 100K of raw photos I have that I modified them in Camera Raw and only have ONE file to reference I now have to LUG another file around.......

Yea...  this is going backwards....

Just like using mainframe computers of the 60's .... i.e. "the cloud" ...yea...  not helpfull.

Thanks for confirming what I thought Adobe removed..... (hands in face)

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you have never been able to bake anything into a proprietary raw in any version; Adobe treats these raws as read only. You could and still can do so with DNG. 

What has changed, and correctly outlined is that the Camera Raw Database is no more. As outlined below, it could cause more issues than it helped:

Camera Raw Database
If you want to do absolutely no file management, and you work on only one computer, the advantage of saving settings in the Camera Raw database is that they're indexed by file content rather than name. You can rename your raw images and move them anywhere on your computer, and Camera Raw will still associate the correct settings with each image.
The significant downside is that you rely on a single file on a single computer to hold all your image settings. If you move the images to a different machine, or even just burn them on a CD, the settings won't travel with the images. So while settings saved in the Camera Raw database are easy to handle in terms of file management on a single machine, they're very inflexible. This inflexibility leads me to always save my settings as sidecar .xmp files.
Sidecar XMP Files
Adobe's XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) is an open, documented, W3C-compliant standard for saving metadata (literally, data about data), including all the EXIF data generated by the camera; IPTC information such as captioning, keywording, and copyright notices; and, last but not least, all the settings you used in Camera Raw on a given image.
When you elect to save image settings as .xmp sidecar files, they're saved in a small file with the same name as the image and a .xmp extension. The sidecar file is automatically saved in the same folder as the image, which is usually what you want.
As you'll learn in the next chapter, Photoshop's File Browser offers features that automatically keep the sidecar files with the raw images as long as you use the File Browser to copy or move them. If you use some other software to move or copy your images, it's up to you to keep the sidecar files with the images. Since they're always saved in the same folder as the images, and the file names match those of the images, this isn't hard to do.
But whichever method you use, Camera Raw doesn't limit you to saving only the entire group of settings for a specific image. Much of the power and flexibility of Camera Raw comes from its ability to save subsets of settings in addition to complete sets of image settings.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Digital Dog....

Your incorrect on this...

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.42.26 PM.png

Files above are shown in the previous Camera Raw version.

But thanks for replying.

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir, you are not correct in thinking that 'baking in' data into a raw is the same as a sidecar file/ACR database. It isn't. Again, you've NEVER been able to bake in any data into your proprietary raws. You were able to 'bake' that into a Camera Raw Database which is now gone. Now you have one option (well actually two):

1. Stick with sidecar files with proprietary raw. 

2. "Bake" the sidecar data directly into a DNG. 

What you cannot do, what you could never do is bake the same data INTO a proprietary raw. Sidecar files were explained above; read about them. 

Your actual question was: How do I bake my changed settings back into the CR2 file like have done for so may years before?

The question could have been, "How do I bake my changes back into the ACR database" and the answer would have been: You no longer can because the ACR database is no more. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet the data above proves my point....

And note these image have moved from machine to machine with no extra need for a XMP sidecar file.

Obviously you missing something here.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 7.14.58 PM.png

Files from 2011

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, you cannot, nor have you ever been able to bake settings into a proprietary raw. And the data above proves my point and below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/introduction-camera-raw.html

When you adjust a camera raw image, the original camera raw data is preserved. Adjustments are stored as metadata in an accompanying sidecar file, in a database, or in the file itself (in the case of DNG format).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with video footage that was recorded and a XML file along with another mp4 file that has 0 GB of data. However the xmp file shows the correct data. How do I access the video footage from this file number? I have racked my brain around this and need asssitance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have the original file (raw or video) because that has the actual data. The XMP file is simply metadata- edits and additional information like copyright.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm going to bring this thread back to life.  It was informative and leads me to a few questions:

1. Is it possible to merege all XMP files into one Camera Raw Database?

2. If the answer to above is yes, could I create a single Camera Raw Database, or similar file for each of my folders? 

3. If neither of the above work, could I zip all of the xmp files, knowing I would need to unzip them to make any modifications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No to all of those things. what's the point of zipping XMP files, they are just small text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines