• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: DNG files have pink cast in preview & thumbnails mac

New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previews and thumbnails of DNG files have a pink cast but the original CR2 files don't.

All DNG files read fine when opened in Adobe software (Lightroom, Raw & Photoshop)

I've been keeping the CR2 until I understand what's going on but it takes up a lot of extra storage space and some I already deleted before realizing the issue.

I'm shooting with CANON 5D IV & II (2 different cameras) and the files are coming from various SanDisk cards. This has never happened and only started in April 2018. Images I shot in March didn't have this issues. YET there were some images in March I didn't upload until April and they are pink.

It seems to be something that has happened during the conversion from CR2 to DNG.

I use Lightroom CC with Raw 9.12

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your "Lightroom CC with Raw 9.12" refer to?

The current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop are:

LR CC 1.3 -- this is the mobile version that used to be called LR Mobile.

LR Classic CC 7.3.1 -- this is the desktop version that used to be called LR CC.

PS CC 2018/19.1.3

Camera Raw 10.3

The latest versions of the previous, now obsolete, LR version series are:

LR 6.12 -- this is the final perpetual license version that doesn't require a monthly payment.

LR CC 2015.12 -- this supported the same cameras as LR 6.12 but also had more features because it was a CC subscription.

Both of these were desktop versions that have been superseded by LR Classic CC 7.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problems as you.  I've used the converter before and didn't encounter this problem.  I am also keeping my CR2 files, as they don't have this issue, and if i open them in lightroom or PS, they look fine.  My preview on the files are also pink.  I'm using a Mac.

Were you able to figure any of this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered the answer that has been marked as being correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find the answer to the issue of DNG file appearing in pink with previewed?  What do I have to do to correct this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm not mistaken, the only one who can mark an answer as the correct answer is the person who originated the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I can not see and response that addresses the issue and how to fix it - this is the first time I have used this and maybe I am not looking in the right place to find the answer / fix to the DNG preview pink issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply, above, was merely trying to determine what software the user was using by saying LR CC ACR 9.12, which didn't seem like the current versions of anything, and perhaps that was why things were pink.  I don't know why the answer was marked as correct, unless, perhaps the user was using old versions and updating to the current versions fixed things for them.

The same question for you, what versions of what software are you using and what changed as far as computer hardware and software that resulted in things looking pink the first time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for the response

I have the latest version of LR Classic CC. I always update when Adobe advises on any update

The problem started in end of March.

I always imported into LR converting my Canon 5D IV CR2 files to DNG .

I wanted to understand if others had this problem and checking on the web it appears to be a common issue all starting at the same time. It appears to be and issue that when importing and converting the CR2 file to DNG. If I have saved the same file in CR2 and DNG - CR2 is fie but DNG is pink

I hope you have a solution to this or a recommendation on where to go at adobe to get an answer to my problem.

From now on I will retain the images RAW CR2 format.

Hoping you can help

Paul Wild

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of LR are you running, specifically, the number from Help / Sys Info or Help / About LR?  Sometimes the update system stops updating and "the latest whenever I'm advised of an update" isn't really the latest, anymore.

Once the DNGs are imported are there any settings in LR that have been applied on Import, perhaps as the LR customized defaults, that cause the pinkness: a custom WB, or a non-standard camera Profile or an errant HSL slider?  In other words is the pink-ness some difference in default settings between DNGs and CR2s for the 5D IV?

How about show us a screenshot in Library using X|Y side-by-side view with the DNG on one side and the corresponding CR2 on the other.

Here is LR Classic CC 7.3.1 with a 5D.IV sample raw converted to DNG via LR import, and its original CR2, side-by-side in Library after computing 1:1 previews and neither looks pinker than the other, so at least with the current version of LR, converted a 5D IV CR2 to DNG doesn't in and of itself, cause pinkness.  That isn't to say there isn't some special situation when you import DNGs that causes them to be pinker than their original CR2s, but we're not there at your computer, you are, so the cause is probably something you're going to discover, there.

For my default develop settings I happen to have Adobe Neutral set as the camera profile, and otherwise my Develop settings are defaults.  Maybe your setup is different or at least different between the DNG and CR2 defaults:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - Canon 5D mark IV .CR2 raw files converted with Adobe DNG Converter (v10.4) appear pink in the MacOS Finder column preview. The files are absolutely fine in Lightroom, Photoshop etc, and even Finder in icon view. Sony RX100 .ARW files converted in the same way are also fine. It's not a huge disaster, but it would be nice if it didn't happen please.
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 18.53.30.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-19 at 18.53.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please send us the DNG file and also let us know what compression options you used during the conversion (if any). thank you.

you can dropbox myself if you'd like aohlmeye@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the swift reply. Kindly see below a screenshot of the DNG settings - unchanged since installing.
The original .CR2 file is on it's way to you by WeTransfer.Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 19.15.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the Raw file from you. I prefer the DNG, so I can check your settings. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning... I notice that the .CR2 was downloaded successfully from WeTransfer. I have sent the DNG that was created by Adobe DNG Converter (10.4) as requested. The direct link is: https://we.tl/SaW0otOjKd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I downloaded both and cannot reproduce this issue in ACR 10.4x976. Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 9.54.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened in Mac Preview, I have OS 10.13.4. What are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right, they're perfect within Camera Raw and other Adobe apps. But in MacOS Finder, the preview shows a pink cast on all Canon 5D Mark IV .CR2 files converted to DNG (kindly see below). As I say it's not the end of the world, but it is odd! I'm using MacOS 10.13.5 (17F77).Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 19.19.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running MacOS 10.13.5 (17F77). All CC apps are fully up to date too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS do you have installed? I have checked in Preview.app in OS 10.13.4 and 10.12 and  there is no color cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to agree, just contributing to the existing thread. Perhaps the embedded jpg is being misinterpreted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not figured this out as well.  I'm wondering if the problem is in the Mac software itself, as it tends to work on Adobe products.  I'm glad I'm not the only one encountering this though.  I have the latest version of everything as well, and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the exact same issue with Sony files. I use import into LR as RAW file, apply rating and rating and processing and then convert to DNG via the Library > Convert to DNG with these settings (see screen capture). Working on a Mac 10.13.4 with up-to-date LR. Screenshot 2018-07-28 07.45.09.png

Screenshot 2018-07-28 07.50.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrin, if you don’t use the lossy compression it doesn’t show the pink cast.

Best DIRK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing this issue since earlier this year (with Lightroom Classic CC), but I can't say exactly since when. I'm always on the latest version of everything (LR Classic CC, Camera Raw, Photoshop), and I'm using Windows 10.

I convert a lot of raw files to lossy DNG from Lightroom, and every now and then, some of them are rendered with this purple - pink color cast. But the purple version is only displayed in the Library module - when I switch to the Develop module, things are ok. Same if I open the lossy dng file directly in Photoshop. So, I guess the problem is related to the preview. Strangely enough, the preview for these pink files are displayed ok in the "preview" panel of Windows Explorer. Same if I use a picture viewer like FastPicture Viewer, which shows the embedded jpg preview (inside of the lossy dng file) - it looks ok. But, like I said, when displaying the image from the Library module within Lightroom Classic, things go purple.

I've tried rebuilding 1:1 previews from Lightroom, sometimes it works, but sometimes it won't allow me to do that, because the previews are up to date already. Then I have to make some changes in the Develop module, rebuild the preview, undo the changes, rebuild the preview again... and sometimes it works, sometimes I end up as I started.

Lastly, like Isaid, it just happens with a minority of files - I haven't been able to detect a pattern yet. I don't know why it happens with some images but not with others. Well, there's something but I'm not sure - when batch converting a whole folder of raw files to lossy dng, I think that the first or last files to be converted seem to have a higher probability to have this problem, but I am not sure, this is just something I noticed a moment ago when looking for this kind of files.

So far, I haven't found a thread for this over at the photoshop family feedback page... maybe I'll try to post there later today, unless someone tells me there's a solution for this, or that it's already being investigated (but I don't think so since nobody posted anything else since 3-4 months ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate