Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Nikon D3, D300, and D700 "Camera" v3 beta profiles

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have posted a zip file containing updated "Camera" color profiles (Camera Standard, Camera Neutral, etc.) for the Nikon D3, Nikon D300, and Nikon D700. The zip file contains a copy of the readme, but I'll post it here for convenience, too:

For lack of a better name, I am calling these "v3" beta profiles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BETA RELEASE NOTES

Overview

These updated Camera v3 beta profiles for the Nikon D3, Nikon D300, and Nikon D700 are designed to reduce banding and highlight color artifacts. They also address the "too bright" tone curve issues with the previous "v2" version of the D3 and D700 profiles.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When using these v3 beta profiles, if you wish to match the default tonality of Nikon's Picture Controls (e.g., match View NX / Capture NX), you must set the Exposure slider in Camera Raw / Lightroom to -0.5.

Of course, feel free to adjust Exposure to make your image brighter or darker as you like. But in terms of matching Nikon's default tonality, you must set the Exposure slider to -0.5, or the default will be too bright.

For workflow convenience, you can use presets in Camera Raw / Lightroom to take care of both (e.g., simultaneously set the profile to "Camera Standard" and set Exposure to -0.5).

Installation

If you are on Mac OS X, drag the "Camera v3 beta" folder to:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

If you are on Windows XP, drag the "Camera v3 beta" folder to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, drag the "Camera v3 beta" folder to:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Note that the above path on Windows Vista and Windows 7 may be hidden by default. Check your folder settings.

Feedback

The profiles are currently in beta status. Please provide feedback via the online Adobe user-to-user forums here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/cameraraw
http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 241 Replies 241
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Vit.

I did a recent re-install of the entire C drive, including all programs and apps. Eric, (anyone?) is there any default setting when running on Windows 7 64 Ultimate that would interfere with Vit's profile loading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lawrence, this is where I put Vit's profile on my Windows 7 x64 system, and it seems to be recognized by ACR 6.6 okay...

C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Canon EOS 40D - Standard sRGB H3.dcp

ACR66Profile.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think maybe I had a corrupt download. Noel, your location in roaming was the first I tried, to no avail. So I downloaded again and this time it works.

I'll get back about any findings but just for a quick look, it's looking fine.

It seems to be my weekend for RAW file processing glitches. I recently installed the new DXO v7 and it's awful, so far as what their dng looks like in ACR, at least from my D80. The D90 looks better.

Sigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, Vit.

I am on ACR only, and not LR.  As for upgrading to V4, with the slider bug, I'll wait for the final release. I can't afford that kind of error in my daily work.

It completely slipped my mind that I needed 6.6 to run it correctly. I was also in the middle of fighting a perplexing printing problem, and I am also trying to spend time learning Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vit, I downloaded your version of the D700 Standard v4 profile and compared it with conversions of the same NEF files using ACR 6.6 with your Standard v4 (NX2 Standard aRGB v4) profile and NX2 using Standard profile.  I get excellent agreement between the two conversions.  I had noticed the difference in shadows when comparing conversions between ACR 6.6 Camera Standard v4 and NX2 Standard,  this difference is not there with your profile.  Do you plan on generating v4 profiles for the other 7 profiles for the D700?  If not, is this something I should be able to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b2martin_a wrote:

Vit, I downloaded your version of the D700 Standard v4 profile and compared it with conversions of the same NEF files using ACR 6.6 with your Standard v4 (NX2 Standard aRGB v4) profile and NX2 using Standard profile.  I get excellent agreement between the two conversions.  I had noticed the difference in shadows when comparing conversions between ACR 6.6 Camera Standard v4 and NX2 Standard,  this difference is not there with your profile.  Do you plan on generating v4 profiles for the other 7 profiles for the D700?  If not, is this something I should be able to do?

Actually, I didn't plan making new profiles, I just wanted to make some independent testing by some members of this forum, to give people from Adobe some feedback about quality of profiles or possible bugs.

My tests are showing that their calibrating procedure for camera profiles can still be improved and the differences in shadows are not much smaller than in v3 profile - tone curve has to be more acute at the bottom.

Profiles v4 permit enough precission in shadows - if they are well calibrated

But, since it's Christmas time, maybe I can make one or two additional profiles for D700 (you are probably not using all profiles), so make your whishes 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vit, thanks for the offer.  You are correct, I don't use all of the profiles.  I don't use Standard at all.  My priority on profiles is: 1. Neutral, 2. Portrait, and 3. D2X Mode 2. Neutral is what I use as the default in ACR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here is D700 Christmas pack

I didn't check if they are ok (it's possible that I forgot to set some NX2 slider to the right position, as it is several months since I used it last time), so report if they match the NX2 output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vit, thanks for the profiles.  I checked them out versus NX2 and get very good agreement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vit I wanted to make it clear, you second name is Santa, isnt it?;) Many thanks and wish you all the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Vit

What a nice Xmas it is;) I use standard and landscape personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I just happened to this discussion and, being a novice in such matters, I have three questions (if it makes any difference, I am an Lr 3.6 user):

1. Is there somewhere a summary of the differences between the existing camera profiles and, in particular, the beta profiles (of particular interest are tips as to their use - like the v3 beta profiles requiring a -0.5 exposure compensation) ?
  2. Is it clear that the v4 beta profiles are, in general, better than their predecessors, or are there particular circumstances, shoot parameters for which they are particularly well suited ?
  3. I already have quite a number of camera profiles (including the "dcpTool untwist" ones - any real use for these ?) and I am now considering (depending on the answers to the first two questions) to clean-up my system and upgrade to the v4 beta profiles. Now, to do this, I'd like to be able to identify the photographs to which I applied a camera profile that I intend to get rid of. How can I identify such photographs ?

Many thanks in advance to you all gurus for your time and effort in answering the above.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh....Vit...no way to have a New Year present for the D3X?? eheh just kidding....but...you never know!

In any case a Very Merry Christmas to you and all the people in the Forum!

All the best

Cristiano

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never posted here before, but I just want to say how unbelievably happy and relived I am. I just spent the last hour and a half reading the adobe forums to try and see if there is an obscure solution out there to the purple/green issue. I've battled with this ever since there was the change over from beta1 profiles a few years ago. It has been a constant headache for me in delivering good final images to my clients.

And I just cannot believe the fix was actually in the last official ACR update - I honestly never expected it would happen. I also wish I'd found this forum post earlier this year! But for now I am one very very happy d700 user. FINALLY! (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vit, could you put your v4 D700 standard profile on different site as megaupload is not working, I would like to give it a try if possible.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have nikon coolpix L310, is it work on the camera?

please, explain me how its work on it. thank's so much

nikonflickr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the Coolpix L310 support raw?  (I don't think so, but just wanted to check.)  These types of color profiles are only available for cameras that support raw format (i.e., NEF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines