Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No option to use Super Resolution 'enhance' in Camera Raw 13.2

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have the new Camrea Raw 13.2 installed and want to use the new Super Resolution option with jpgs. When I control click I don't get an option to Enhance, in fact the options look completely different to all the online videos (see screengrab).

I've tried opening Camera Raw from Bridge but the button is greyed out and turning on the double click to open Camera Raw from preferences doesn't work. Also there is no option to control click open in Camera Raw.

Photoshop is up to date (22.3) and i'm running macOS 0.15.4 

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 17.17.41.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Actually one can use this feature on JPEGs or TIFFs or PSDs etc. It's a bit of a hack but works (although not as well as doing this on a true raw). 

In Photoshop's Open dialog, set Format Menu to "Camera Raw" after selecting a JPEG or TIFF. This forces it to open in ACR (not ACR as a Filter) and you can now use the new Super Resolution. 

OpenOption.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the new Enhance feature doesn't work with jpegs. It only works with raw files. According to the documentation, "The supported file types are raw mosaic files from cameras with Bayer sensors (Canon, Nikon, Sony, and others) and Fujifilm X-Trans sensors."

What's tricky about Camera Raw is that the options that appear for Raw files are different from what appear for other file types, so they're not just grayed out--they're not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am getting the same thing using a tiff file 

the camera it was shot on was a  Fujifilm GFX 100 

44568C37-A368-4F28-8337-32B5DC5FF7E4.jpeg

Process 

image in capture one 

edit with

photosho 21

choose setttings 

tiff

16 bit

at 360

processs Prophoto

(and yes I tried in rgb)

image is now transferred as tiff to photoshop 

click filter

camera raw

open 

image appears 

right hand click and the he above screen shot

any other suggestions please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs to be a raw file. To make it a raw file do the following:

1. Open Bridge
  2. Select the image
  3. Go to File > Export to > Export to DNG
  4. In the Export Progress dialog click on the exported image to navigate to it in Bridge
  5. With the DNG selected, go to File > Open in Camera Raw...
  6. Then in Camera Raw, you should get the Enhance option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much 

yes it works- 

I use both photoshop CCand capture one CC  - both all up to date 

anyway for information I followed your instructions 

I opened the file where the raw images are for a work flow in C1 

opened the he file chose an image converted to DNG AND OPENED IN CAMERA RAW

This works it also stores the dng file in the capture one concession and psd 

I think it's effective but cumbersome at the moment to use effectively in a workflow 

that said not every image you are going to want to do this but it would be so much easier if you could convert the raw file in c1 first to tiff as normal and then processing and save 

done :white_heavy_check_mark: 

Looking at capture one the output for raf files are tiff psd or jpeg 

thank you for your help but I think it needs some tweaking to make it a viable and interesting mechanism for pre pro for me 

@Myra Ferguson wrote:

It needs to be a raw file. To make it a raw file do the following:

1. Open Bridge
  2. Select the image
  3. Go to File > Export to > Export to DNG
  4. In the Export Progress dialog click on the exported image to navigate to it in Bridge
  5. With the DNG selected, go to File > Open in Camera Raw...
  6. Then in Camera Raw, you should get the Enhance option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, still cannot find the super enhance feature, everything up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file type are you using? It needs to be a raw file. The steps above will help you convert your file to a DNG. Try that and then see if you can access the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra for replying and clarifying.

That's very confusing from Adobe, on their own blog (see enclosed) they say it works on other formats, jpgs, tiffs etc...

I suppose they got that bit wrong, perhaps it's coming eventually.

854A85AF-909B-4EF2-B8C9-BA08519B21C3.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Myra Ferguson wrote:

Unfortunately, the new Enhance feature doesn't work with jpegs. It only works with raw files. According to the documentation, "The supported file types are raw mosaic files from cameras with Bayer sensors (Canon, Nikon, Sony, and others) and Fujifilm X-Trans sensors."

No, that quote is from the description of the Raw Details feature in Enhance; Raw Details only works with raw files, of course. Yes, this is kind of a subtle thing that confuses people.

Those restrictions don’t apply to Super Resolution feature of Enhance, which is described in the next paragraph on that page. Super Resolution works with non-raw formats supported by Camera Raw, so if you use one of the techniques to let Camera Raw open non-raw formats, you can run Enhance on it:

If you want Camera Raw to always open non-raw formats, change Camera Raw preferences as shown by post by digitaldog later in this thread.

If you want Camera Raw to not open non-raw formats by default, but override that occasionally, use the technique I showed in another post on this forum, where you use Photoshop to open a JPEG in Camera Raw (not using the Camera Raw filter).

Enhance is available for non-raw formats using either of those methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum, from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually one can use this feature on JPEGs or TIFFs or PSDs etc. It's a bit of a hack but works (although not as well as doing this on a true raw). 

In Photoshop's Open dialog, set Format Menu to "Camera Raw" after selecting a JPEG or TIFF. This forces it to open in ACR (not ACR as a Filter) and you can now use the new Super Resolution. 

OpenOption.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you elaborate on this one ? cant find that options in photoshop, thank U

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got into quite the spat with a chat rep about this very issue. The Adobe Blog post by Eric Chan dated Mar 10, 2021 states that unlike Raw Details (that only works on RAW formats) the new Super Resolution feature also works on JPEG, TIFF, PNG and HEIC. The rep tolde it only works with RAW and directed me to a KB article on Enhance Details that in the third paragraph (specific to the new Super Resolution feature in 13.2) ALSO works with JPEG, PNG, TIFF and HEIC. The chat rep told me that the KB article is wrong and the Blog post by Eric Chan is wrong. I explained that articles posted by Petapixel, Fstoppers, etc ALL show them using Super Resolution on JPEGs and TIFFs straight out of PS into ACR. I was told those articles are all wrong also. Not entire sure how when they show photo tutorials of them opening a JPEG I'm PS, opening ACR and then right-click > "Enhance..".  At least I now know, thanks to this post, that you can convert to DNG to get it to work. I thought I was losing my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines