• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New Camera Raw File Support - Requests & Information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a complete overview of camera support in Photoshop and Lightroom, visit the following article:

Why doesn't my version of Photoshop or Lightroom support my camera?

1. Make sure your version of Photoshop or Lightroom is updated for the latest camera support.
  2. If you own an older version of Photoshop or Lightroom, Adobe provides backward compatibility for the latest cameras through the FREE Adobe DNG Converter.

Note: ETAs for specific cameras are not available

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
DNG Converter , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

No one here knows. We don't know. Adobe never tells us when.

When Adobe gets all the work completed to successfully use raw photos from this camera, they will release a new version of the software. Then we will all find out at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Until Adobe release supported versions of Lightroom-Classic and ACR, you will need to edit with Canon's DPP App (Digital Photo Professional), and export to TIF or JPG.  DPP lists the R5c as supported.

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-00_Before_0050.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

No. Nobody can tell you this because they either do not know, or they are not allowed to tell you because of their NDA. I understand your impatience, but you will simply have to wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

No one can say (except for some Adobe employees, who are not allowed to say). You should check the list here each time Adobe updates the Lighroom Classic software.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

When is Adobe going to update so that users of Sony A6700 ... can use LR normally.

By @mariajen393

Update to Lightroom Classic 12.5 released last week. The Sony A6700 is supported in version 12.5.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-5/

New camera support:

• Sony
    • Sony A6700 (ILCE-6700)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When is de raw support for the Sony A7 IV available?"

Though Adobe almost never announces release schedules, historically support for a new camera from a leading manufacturer is usually included in the release following the camera's announcement but sometimes in the release after that. The Sony A7 IV was announced 10/21/21.  LR releases roughly every 8 weeks, so we might expect to see LR 11.1 sometime in December.  (This is just an educated guess based on past releases over many years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a Sony A7iv, maybe the most anticipated camera in many years.

Trying to import the raw pictures into Lightroom I am met by "file not supported".

When will I be able to use my camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony A7iv is one of the most anticipated cameras in years and here I sit with a very expensive brick I cannot use the pictures from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering that we do not tell when you will be able to use your new $2500 camera to paying customers is not an ok answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fred4242 wrote:

Answering that we do not tell when you will be able to use your new $2500 camera to paying customers is not an ok answer.

The answer however is correct: Those who know can't talk. Those who talk don't know.

You got software to access the proprietary raws from Sony. Had Sony provided raws to others like Adobe, they too could process them on day one; Sony didn't. You can use your raws today. You can use your JPEGs today. You will have to wait for Adobe support. Because again, Adobe got access to the proprietary raws when you did and they don't and cannot understand then and update their software over night. This isn't anything new! Its been this way for decades every time a proprietary raw file is released. Those waiting a few weeks/months before buying a new camera will likely be unaware that this is how its worked for decades. But it has. Such is life on the 'bleeding edge'. 

These are facts, I'm very sorry you don't think the factual answers are OK. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you say the manufacture of the worlds biggest photo editing  software suite cannot pressure Sony about this? 

How come Phase One just released support for the camera? Adobe has so much more resources. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fred4242 wrote:

So you say the manufacture of the worlds biggest photo editing  software suite cannot pressure Sony about this? 

How come Phase One just released support for the camera? Adobe has so much more resources. 

I am not saying that and I didn't say that. You can assume this if you wish....

As for pressure, perhaps you'll explore the history of this, the history of DNG of which Sony, Nikon, Canon and others didn't do anything about this long standing issue. Or examine the OpenRaw URL I provided to educate yourself about this long standing issue. 

So are you saying, all you camera owners would rather complain to Adobe than the folks who took your money and forced you to wait on raw camera support? See: if you want a resonable anwser, ask a reasonable question. 

How did Phase One just release support? Just as Adobe will do. Do you expect all software companies to do this work at the same time? See: if you want a reasonable anwser, ask a reasonable question. 

Will Adobe support this camera? Yes they will. Will it cost them money to do so? Yes it will. Will you have to wait? Yes, you will. Does this have to happen with every release of a new proprietary raw? No it doesn't. But this will continue as long as camera buyers direct their frustration at the wrong company. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s curious: Adobe didn’t get the raws to work with (Sony, YOU are terrible!), but days before the a7iv start shipping On1 Photo Raw (not just the lest release, but the previous too!) and Luminar Ai (those are the ones I’m sure about because I own it) where still able to open and develop A7 IV raws… Sounds incredible but it is the true.
Who ever write bad sentences about who shows doubts against Adobe release plans (aka missing!) should be better informed about what happens outside Adobe.
I’m not payed nor sponsored by On1 or Skylum, I’m just a critic user and a professional who lives with Adobes Lightroom.
The most suspicious answer I have is that the others are trying to get bigger so they are innovative, they make extensive releases (and quite interesting too) and Adobe, from his position (and stronger from a very vaste base of people that pay annual fees), is just bored, lazy and don’t care too much about his customers…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet."-Indian Proverb 

I had to wait on camera raw support and complained until I met a photographer who's raws were all corrupted.

And wait you will, now and in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are

That’s curious: Adobe didn’t get the raws to work with (Sony, YOU are terrible!), but days before the a7iv start shipping On1 Photo Raw (not just the lest release, but the previous too!) and Luminar Ai (those are the ones I’m sure about because I own it) where still able to open and develop A7 IV raws…
By @LucaViola_Italy

Sure, there are often sample pre-release raw files floating around. Support can then be developed "at risk" and you can be first to market, or you may have sufficiently bad experience of camera makers' late changes to raw formats that you choose to hold back until the body is officially released. If you choose the latter route, your customers may need to wait a reasonable time.

I think this is a professional strategy, for customer and Adobe. Going back to my electric car analogy, if I depended on a car for work I'd delay buying that shiny new car unless I knew I could charge it. So I'd either put off the camera purchase for a month or two (that's tough) or understand that I may not be able to use it professionally or seriously for a short period.

That said, I do think Adobe could change things. I'd want Lightroom to import these not-yet-supported files and manage them, even if they can't be used in Develop for a month or so (embedded previews would be available). Secondly I've never quite understood why support for new camera A has to wait until it's bundled up with B, C, D etc in the next release of CameraRaw/Lightroom. Simplisitically, you get a new camera, 10 days later Adobe releases that camera's support file, and you could load it in a subscribed CameraRaw/Lightroom. Equally, I'm amazed camera makers get away with failing to release cameras with a DNG option.

Sometimes you get lucky with release dates of new cameras and LR. Other times, you have to wait for proper support, but it's rarely an unreasonable time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ridiculous that so many other software companies seem to have support for the A7iv, but the biggest doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is ridiculous. As professionals paying a decent amount for software you'd expect to be kept up to date when new cameras are released. Come on Adobe and Sony, work together closer please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can throw all the dirty things about Adobe and Sony here, but I think it would be nice if Adobe (representative) wrote clearly: "we are planning an update on December 20, 2021", then the matter will be simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, I don't understand this mystery with their customers who are asking a simple question, when will the a7iv be supported? Then they complain about Sony and their policies. I sincerely think that Adobe's strategy in this matter is to use the pissed off customers as a method of pressure against the camera brands and not to give a quality service to their own customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried everything and I'm already in line 😄

Should I take pictures in jpg now and pay for something that doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert ARW to TIFF in ImagingEdge. It takes time and is twice the size, but there's no other option until Adobe stops acting like a company run by two guys in a garage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've tried, but I have a feeling that some weird compression will take place there when I'm comparing the eye, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already downloaded ON1 and everything is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just ridiculous. All those youtubers had the camera about 1,5 months ago to make their reviews and Sony wasn't able to send a camera to adobe and others the same day to get the software working? What is wrong with those guys, whoever they are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the new Sony 7 IV and can't import and retouch the RAWs. When does the update comes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates normally come approximately every 3 months (but no guarantees, either). The last major release from Adobe was October 26, 2021 (I think, I might be a day or two off). So, you do the math.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When does the update comes?"

LR releases a new version about every 8 weeks:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/when-do-we-see-lr-10-4.43422/#post-1287682

So we might expect to see a release towards the end of December.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, 

My dad recently purchased a Sony a7R IV, and he is trying to import his shots to Lightroom using. ARW format. And we keep getting (Preview Not Available) and the files cannot be opened by Lightroom.

He is using Lightroom CC 10.0 if im not mistaken. 

Can someone help us out please ? 

248775135_582382443007276_9137871219719955569_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got some more information.

247894377_606540490703267_6300263156248505727_n.jpg248233048_1704733603058680_97609484769401419_n.jpg248412491_243545681151044_7564888408192664907_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I Have the same problem, I can't import my ARW shots to lightroom, ohave you found the solution ? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines