Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to convert Canon CR3 files

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have having problem with converting CR3 files and hope someone could help.

I use Photoshop Elements 12, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS5.1

I also just downloaded from Adobe website the latest ACR and DNG 11.0 software.

But they still don't work on CR3 files.

I assume it's not backward compatible to older photoshop software???

I also tried to use the DNG 11.0 to open CR3 files, but it doesn't recognise the format.  Does anyone know the reason?

Does anyone know the latest Photoshop Element 2019 will work with CR3 files?

Thanks for any info.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

CR3 files from which Canon camera? The EOS R?

Supported cameras are listed here:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Compatibility of various Adobe software with the various Camera Raw versions are listed here

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

None of the older software versions you've got are compatible with Camera Raw 11. You may think you've installed Camera Raw 11, but if you check Help > About Plug-Ins > Camera Raw you'll find an older version listed. So, if you don't upgrade, y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CR3 files from which Canon camera? The EOS R?

Supported cameras are listed here:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Compatibility of various Adobe software with the various Camera Raw versions are listed here

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

None of the older software versions you've got are compatible with Camera Raw 11. You may think you've installed Camera Raw 11, but if you check Help > About Plug-Ins > Camera Raw you'll find an older version listed. So, if you don't upgrade, your only option is the DNG converter.

Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plugin. The Raw converter is built into the software code so Lightroom has to be upgraded to get new camera support.

Version 11 of the DNG converter definitely supports the EOS R. If that's your camera, where exactly does it get stuck in the converting process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Thanks you for the information. I use the Canon M50.

I gathered the new camera CR3 format is not compatible with my older Adobe software.

Do you know if the new Photoshop Elements 2019 will support the M50?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no problem opening and working with the CR3 raw files. It's just not getting thumbnails when loading the files from, the sim card - just the date and file number but no thumbnail. This makes sorting which photos go into which folder more difficult. Not impossible but annoying. CR2 files work fine in this regard. I'm using a SanDisk extreme 32mb card in my EOS R camera and have all the latest Camewra Raw and Photoshop updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines