Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

5.5 Quiz Results Text Styling Problem

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've created new caption and button styles for my quizzes. All works well except for the quiz results page, where all text captions disregard the new styles. The Scoring Result, Scoring Result Label, and Review Area all won't accept my new styles when published. Any ideas?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You did change the Object styles for Review, Score Result and Score labels - they have separate styles? And they do not apply, strange? Just checked and worked fine for me?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also seen this bug in Captivate 5.5.  It seems to have difficulty recognising some fonts and will default back to Times Roman or whatever.  I found I had to just go with Myriad Pro or pull my hair out.

Please log a bug for this as well so that Adobe gets the message it needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I tried several fonts for the object styles of the different captions on the score slide, and it seemed to work. Perhaps I did not understand the question correctly? Only issue I did detect (also in CP5) is that the dropdown list for the different sets of some fonts (bold, semibold, ...) do not function, whereas the 'faux' sets (icons with T letters) do. To me it is confusing 'object styles' vs 'font styles' in the character accordion which is only a small part of the total style of a text caption IMO. Must be my InDesign background

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found on my system (Win7 Cp 5.5) was that if I tried setting the font for the Object Styles of the Review Area and Quiz Score Result captions on the Quiz Review slide to Arial font, they would revert back to some kind of serif font at runtime.  I didn't work out exactly which serif font it was but it looked a bit like Times Roman. 

Only the Review Area and Score Result captions were affected.  The Scoring Result Label captions were fine with Arial. Once I set the Object Styles for the Review Area and Scoring Results back to Myriad Pro they remained set at runtime.

It's done this consistently for me and smells like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, checked it out for Arial and that is indeed the case. I do not like Arial a lot, because all our college documents are in Arial and I'm fed up with it. It reverts to the same serif font as what happens when you choose a font 'style' from the dropdown list as I described (which was already so for CP5). Other sans serif fonts work fine however.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Unfortunately I'm currently doing a big job for a multinational organisation that has very strict branding rules.  It has to be either Arial or Transit.  Since nobody in the company except the graphic designers with MACS happen to have the Transit font on their machine, I thought I was safe option for Arial.  Can't for the life of me work out why Captivate would pick such a common font to spit the dummy about.  Maybe it's also seen so much Arial over the years that it can't stomach it anymore too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the input. You were right, it rejects Arial. The client insists on Arial, but I should have tested different fonts. The formatting on the Review Area is terrible, too, and looks like you can't set alignment or line width without inserting line breaks. I wonder what the rationale is behind this. Also, have you noticed that you can't drop a button on the results screen, other than the given quiz buttons?

I'd like to report the font bug, but don't know how. Am I overlooking a link or button?

Thanks again,

e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has never been possible to add interactive objects to question slides, nor to the score slide.  If you want to have total control over question slides, you'll have to create them yourself instead of using the default question slides. In this blog post you have an overview of the functionalities and tweaking possibilities of the default question slides and the score slide:  Question Question Slides

It is perfectly possible to customize Review, blogged about it as well: Customize review messages

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

I'm in Captivate 5.5 right now, and the only options that I see for the REVIEW AREA (not Review Message) is Character, Shadow, and Transform. There's NO setting for alignment or line width. In addition, Transform:W (width) is ignored and long sentences/paragraphs don't line wrap, but instead stretch off the screen to the left and right. In the Quiz Preferences > Default Labels > Create New Style... button > Object Style Manager dialog, there aren't any additional settings options, in fact, there's less.

Again... I'm talking about the REVIEW AREA on the score page. If you can format the Review Area, please give me specific, relevant tips.

Quivering in anticipation,

etremmel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Review Area on the score slide has the same style as all Review Areas on the question slides, controlled by the same Review Area style.

I reported a bug in CP5.5: only one line can be shown in the area. Since on Question slides it is now much less used than in previous versions (indicators on the answers themselves now), the devs overlooked the fact that the Review Area on the score slide should be able to have a longer message. Format accordion has no sense for an area that has only one line.

Just checked my two blog posts about question slides, the one I already pointed to and the last one about Question Question Slides And indeed, the workaround for having a customized message in the Review Area of the Score slide is not included, will have to post another articel. Here in short that workaround:

• Make the current review area on the Score slide 'invisible' to the user, but do not delete, by adapting color and stroke and putting a space in the Quiz Result messages (Preferences, Quiz, Settings)
  • Create your own review messages for Success/Failure (text captions) and set them to invisible
  • Create an advanced action to be executed on entering the Score slide, where you show the appropriate Review caption, based on the value of one of the Quizzing System variable cpQuizInfoPassFail/cpQuizInfoPointsscored The first is the easiest one, will get value 1 when passed, and value 0 when failed

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri,

I have tried the same workaround, but when the user once failed the quiz and retakes the it then passed then he'll be prompted with two text Captions (both Pass and Fail Messages), is there any workaround around to reset the cpQuizInfoPassFail, though I believe this is a read only variable.

Regards,

-Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miguel,

Like most Quizzing system variables, cpQuizInfoPassFail is read only. But it is possible with advanced actions to check if the score slide is visited for the first time or not and adapt the showing of the messages based on that check. If you cannot figure it out, will try to work out the script, but now have to go to a meeting,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

Hmm that's interesting. I'll be happy to see your approach unto this.

Thank you very much.

-Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Miguel, you pushed me at creating a worked out example. You can find it on my blog:

Question Question Slides - part 2

You'll also find how I made it possible with custom review messages on question slides to realize multiple Retake attempts.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

Forgot to get back and tell you that your approach actually worked.Thank you.

I hope adobe fix this too.

-Miguel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lieve,

This is very very useful post for me, Can you please post the link again as it is no longer available in that location.

Question Question Slides - part 2

Highly appreciated for your efforts.

Thanks,

Ajay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The new location (all links are broken everywhere and I cannot edit any posts in this forum):

http://blog.lilybiri.com

Posts about question slides:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/question-question-slides-in-captivate

http://blog.lilybiri.com/question-question-slides-part-2

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources