• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AA and Boolean variable

Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is a continuation of an earlier post. I received some great input on my problem. I thought I had it solved but the scenario is not working as intended.

And yes this portion is not strictly learning per say but it is requested from a client.

I have groups of slides. Each group consists of a handful of slides that has event video on each slide and nothing else. The videos autoplay. The user can enter these groups at any point and must watch each video before being redirected back to a main menu. So if the user enters on slide 2 the sequence should play as follows : 2, 3, 4, 1 and then redirected to a main menu.  To do this I followed some great guidance by a few experts on this forum. This is what I did.

1. I created a variable  for each slide and gave it a value of 0

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.12.49 PM.png

2. I then created conditional actions as follows

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.13.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.13.48 PM.png

3. I then run the AA on slide enter.

The effect of doing is that the entire group is skipped and it plays the next slide after the group. Was hoping that someone could spot the flaw in my logic(obviously there is)

Again, I know this portion is not interactive learning but it is a client requirement.

Thanks in advance

Kurt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello kurt farr,

Are the video playing in sequence.

eg v1,v2, them v3.

if that is the case jump from v3 to the Main menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info

I create a SmartShape as button,

that button show up as the video is finishing. eg: in 20sec.

The SmartShape button jump to Main.

For info on the pause take a look at Lilibiri blog.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SmartShape is on v3 or the last video of each group.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show the Advanced Interaction panel, want to see the part with the 5 slides, and the Success column (which indicates the On Enter actions) expanded so that the name of the AA is visible?

Something is wrong with the logic in this case. If I understand the setup, you want to jump to the menu slide only when all the video slides have been visited, but they can start either on the first, the second.... slide. You will have to separate the commands to be done always (standard action) from the conditional action where you check the values of ALL the variables. So these sequences are all possible?

• 1 2 3 4 5
  • 2 3 4 5 1
  • 3 4 5 1 2
  • 4 5 1 2 3
  • 5 1 2 3 4

Can you confirm if my understanding is correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see below. In this case it is 4 slides (videos). In short, I want the user to stay in this 4 slide group until they have seen all 4 slides (videos). each slide auto advances to next video. until they have watched everything in the group. The jump to slide in the last entry sends them back to the 1st entry assuming they have not visited that slide already.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 3.03.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see only 4 of the 5 slides you were talking about. What about the rest of my questions. If my interpretation is correct, your present setup will not work at all.

You have a Next button on each slide, you will have to use the success event of that action as well to trigger an advanced action, if you need indeed to make any start slide possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are only 4 slides in this group. I am unsure where or how 5 was introduced into the conversation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am not using a button to advance to next Slide . Just a go to next slide that is incorporated into the conditional action . There is a screenshot of it in my first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see the problem. My else statement was saying go to next slide rather than play slide. Will update ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Play slide command, just Continue.

So, you don't need different sequences possiible as I stated. Totally misunderstood your original question in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right to understand that I can not use "on exit jump to slide" . instead I must use a button? According to your posts online you say not to trust it. My timeline ends and I want it to jump to slide but it continues to the next slide. I am having a hard time understanding why I can't do it without a button. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, answer my question about the sequences. Because in that case it is a lot less simple as you think, since you have to take into account all the sequences. Personally I avoid the On Exit event, whenever possible. It would be better to use the On Enter event of the next slides, but you'll have to check ALL the variables if the sequences are allowed. Still no answer to that question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I understand your sequence question.  For A group of 4 videos the following sequences are possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what complicates everything. If I find an hour, will write out a blog to tell how to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello kurt,

If that is the sequence for the video in each group,

You will need an action for each one and be able to keep track.

In addition, to advancing to the next group and advancing to the next video within the group.

You are complicating the problem because the video within the group should be linear.eg: v1, v2, v3.

V3 jump to main. ( If I click on group 1, them an able to choose v1, v2, or v3 to start).

In my opinion the group should be random and the video linear.

If both are random is very complicated. Shared actions should save you some time.

Lilybiri is very good with shares actions.

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example file created and blog is written, but waiting for moderation in the eLearning community. If it is not moderated tomorrow morning, will post it on my personal blog and add a link here.

Luis I used both simple actions, advanced (2) and shared actions (1). It is not a random selection (could work that out as well) but only linear sequences, with possible different start video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but there has been no moderation (since a couple of days, afraid of the lawine of questions waiting in the community).

Now I have a meeting, when I am back home will create an identical blog on my personal blog (takes bit more work). You really get free consultancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lillybiri,

I do realize that and can’t thank you enough. Hopefully as I work my way out of the newbie category at some point in the future I can give back to this forum/community with the knowledge that I have gained from experts like you & Ward. I really do believe in the "pay it forward” mantra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I *think* I've gotten it to work.  I did a test with a main menu with 3 buttons that jumps to 1 of 3 screens.  I didn't know how you wanted them to get out of that 'group' though.

So on the MenuScreen, On Enter, I put an Advanced Action 'Reset Variables' to set var_s1, var_s2, and var_s3 all to 0.

on screens S1, S2, and S3, I just have text on the screen for 3 seconds 'Playing S1', 'Playing S2', 'Playing S3' so I could tell where I was.

Then for the 'On Exit' of each of these I put a unique Advanced Action as follows:

1st action:  assign var for current screen so it registers as 'played'  (Assign var_s1 with 1).

2nd action is conditional:

if var for the next screen = 0, jump to the next screen (and play it)

else, jump to menu screen.

I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here os a link to the published example movie:

SequenceVideo

All details of the shared action and two advanced actions can be found in this blog:

Forced view - special use case - Captivate blog

It has the same movie embedded but at a fixed resolution, while the link above leads to a rescalable HTML project. I used slides from the Quick Start Project 'Wired' and assets from the assets library.

Please test starting with any video, and you'll be able to play the vdeo sequence multiple times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. unfortunately I seem to have a really basic problem preventing me from implementing your solution. I was have issues jumping from slide 4 to slide1 in the sequence. To troubleshoot I removed all advanced actions and only used a jump to slide 1 on exit from slide 4 . It continues to the next video rather than jumping to slide 1. So I am working on that issue before implementing your solution.

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could "grouping" slide maybe cause navigation issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI extending the timeline a fraction of a second on the slide you want to jump from seems to have worked

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources