Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Checkmarks upon viewing

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Cap4. I have a

nice interaction page that uses 5 header buttons to that jump to 5 pages.
Since the buttons are in the header they are global. Only the content changes below (for each of the 5 pages).

I want to add a Checkmark over each header button when the user visits each of the 5 pages.

When each Checkmark displays I want it stay visible throughtout the project.

I have tried several ways to make this work with and without variables.

Can anyone share a quick clean way to do this?
Below are some images of my interaction.

mainMenu.jpg

CheckMark01.jpg

Thank you for any and all help and suggestions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Have worked out several use cases like this but for Captivate 5. It is pretty late over here, want first to check if it works all right in CP4 and could be back tomorrow. Could you clarify one thing: are those buttons on one menu page where the user returns to or do they have to be on all pages? That is not clear for me, sorry,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri

I'm trying to do a similar thing (either display checkmark or grey out the menu item when it's completed).

Tried standard action 'jump to menu slide' and 'show' for checkmark image, but it keeps displaying all checkmarks vs. just the 1 for the section the user has completed/is jumping from. 😞

Can you add your cases for Cap5 as well please, as I'm on 5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anja,

Just worked out a template in Captivate 5, which can be adapted and with 2 possible advanced conditional actions to be triggered on entering the menu slide:

1. shows a checkmark after completion of an item, dims the button and disables it; after completion the user is directed to an end slide
  2. shows a checkmark after completion of an item, dims the button but keeps it enabled so that the user could have another view at that item

Do you see more possibilities to script?

I provided 5 possible items. And will try to explain how to adapt the objects without having to change the scripts. Nobody has described so far the possibility to re-use advanced actions by means of a template, which will be the principal subject of this blog post.

What do you think? I plan to offer the template on the blog.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I'm after the 2nd option, as I want to leave it up to the learner to revisit chapters. The first option may make a lot of sense in other scenarios as well though.

A 3rd option could be to link to individual tests per chapter, ie from menu I would choose pre-test, if passed, the learner jumps back to the menu directly and the chapter would be checked & disabled without the learner actually taking it (although I'd always offer an 'I want to take the chapter nevertheless' button). If test is below 'pass' grade, the chapter would proceed.

But hey, I'm a newbie user, so I'll have to work my way through the basics first, before venturing into such technically more sophisticated learning paths. 😉

If you would pick up the topic of templates with those scripts would be great, as I think I (and many others) would use this workflow in many projects - and it'd be great if there's a way that you don't have to re-create from scratch every time!

Where are you living? If it'd be anywhere closeby, I'd invite you for lunch for your great help!

BR, Anja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Third option is a lot more complicated. Will try to explain how to use this template first of all because it is pretty simple. If one only wants dimming or only a checkmark the scripts could be easily adapted, or perhaps I could add them as well.

Just tried it out: created two different examples based on the template and changing background and colors for one of them. The changes just took about 2 minutes, so that is acceptable. And it works fine, advanced actions are preserved, labels are there ...

Have been looking for a solution to have re-usable scripts and this seems for the moment a possibility as long as we cannot export/import scripts. If you send me a private message with an e-mail address I could send you the template right away, but the tips to handle changes will be on the blog later on.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily,

I would love for you to share a CAP 4 version of the this interaction.

I'm attaching a rough example that at least shows you the project structure.

Thanks again for being so supportive and collaborative!

_robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Lily,

I would love to see the code and possibly adapt for use.

I sent you an source code example of the project CAP 4 v.

_robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Robert,

You cannot attach files, only insert screenshots using the small camera icon.

As I mentioned to Anja, I have a template ready in CP5. Will try to convert it to CP4 ASAP.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lillybiri...

This is exactly what I was looking for! Please send me the link to the templates (especially the one allowing the user to go back and revisit sections after completing that section) to my email: kstagg at gmail dot com

You. Rock.

Kevin

DFW eLearning Adobe User Group

@dallaselearnaug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do Kevin, but have two versions: one for CP5.0 and one for 5.5.

Which do you want?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate 5.5 - thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anja,

I just published on my blog this subject:

Template for reusing scripts?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicely done Lily,

I think I understand how this is done but I am still having trouble writing

the

correct action-script When a button on the Menu slide is clicked, a simple

standard action is executed that changes the value of the user variable and

jumps to the proper slide.

Can you please provide an example of the action-script syntax?

Thank you very much,

_RobertB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Can you send me your e-mail address and I will send you the link to the template. You will be able to check the advanced actions then. Perhaps you could use a private message in this forum, if you do not want to show your address publicly.

Sorry, my bad, forgot that you are on Captivate 4. I just fired it up on my (old) desktop and it will look like this:

v_item1 := 1

Jump to Slide  Slide_item1

where v_item1 is the user variable to change, and Slide_item1 is the slide to jump to. The first statement is in the category Assignment, the second in the category Standard actions.

If I find some time I will try to work out something similar for your use case. It will be more work because you do want the menu on each slide if I understood well.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lily,

I understand in CAP 4 how to create variables and incement them.

But I dont' undertand the syntax for showing them. (see image below).

My email is
rpbuchinski@gmail.com

Thank you again for your continuing support!

-RobB

advanced_actions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

It is indeed the conditional action that gives most problems, and they are less easy to script in CP4 than in CP5. That is the reason why I first want to try everything out in CP4. A couple of questions:

About the checkmark check01: have it initially hidden on the slide so you will only to program the show action.

About your condition: why do you try 'greater or equal to'? I suspect that you are incrementing the value of the user variable every time, it is much better to set it to the value=1 as I showed in my previous answer.

How do you trigger this action? Any advanced action needs an event to be attached to: a button/click box click, submitting an entry in TEB, entering or exiting the slide (but show will not work on exiting a slide), rolling over a rollover slidelet.

For the moment I'm in college, only laptop available, no CP4. I can only try your usecase on my desktop later on at home.

BTW: I did send you the template, but you will have to open it in CP5 (trial version?).

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Template for reusing script is a great blog post- will be checking in again. Would love to have a look at the template thx mark@markwaterfield.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Done! Hoping to get some comments on the blog or here in the forums.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri - good stuff as usual. Your posts are always helpful.  I'd like the template too please.  ssrktucker@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lily,

I am tiggering the action (on enter slide)!

I could just try (equal to)

I downloaded the template - thanks for you all your help!

Let me see what I can do with it now!

I'll let you know!

Thank you very much!

_RobertB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a sample/example of what the advanced action would look like? I keep trying to set it up, but I can only get the first check mark to appear. I think I may be doing too much... but want to clarify.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need an email address if you want me to send the template, it has advanced actions in it to show checkmarks

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, could you please forward the template C5 - wallensteinpatricia@praintl.com Thanks - this is exactly what I am looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version please?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources