• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced answer feedback - what actions settings to use?

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create quiz questions with custom feedback and three attempts.  I set the attempts to three and added customized feedback using the Advanced Answer Options.  The problem is that after the first attempt the slide continues to the next one.  If I change the Action to No Action or Pause, the slide will never advance if the user gets it wrong after three attempts.  What are the correct action settings to make this work?  I can supply a test file if necessary.

Thanks,
Andrew

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of your software and the operating system you are using?

Also, can you include a screenshot of the options (Properties and Advanced Answers Options) you have selected?

Can you include the steps you took to set this up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 2019, Version 11.5.0.476. 

Here are the settings for the incorrect answer choices:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.51.13 PM.png

Here are the quiz settings:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.53.45 PM.png

Here are the slide properties:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.57.16 PM.png

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Much Thanks,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps taken to set this up:

1. Create a new project.
  2. Insert a Question Slide (MC type)
  3. Set answers to 4.
  4. Type in the question and answer choices.
  5. Open Options for each incorrect answer and select Advanced Answer Option and Show Feedback Message.
  6. Enter the feedback messages, resize and reposition messages.
  7. Save and preview.

Thanks,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update, either to 11.5.1.499.

It is tricky, this situation. Those advanced answers were designed for a situation where there is only one attempt. Since you want more attempts, you have not only to edit the different failure messages (one for each wrong answer), keep the success feedback (you can edit it as well, do not makr the correct answer for advanced answer feedback), but you'll need to create a user variable for tracking the attempts and use an advanced action instead of the default 'Continue' action. If you set that action to No Action, the quiz slide will remain paused after the last attempt. 

Maybe I need to write out another blog...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the guidance.  I was able to use Advanced Actions to track attempts, and continue after the third attempt; however, I still have the problem of not being able to display the built-in "failure" caption after a final incorrect attempt. 

I could use a text caption to do this, hiding it as the default state, then showing via the advanced action by adding an "If" statement comparing cpQuizInfoLastSlidePointScored. But then continuing in the default way (i.e., click anywhere or the 'Y' key) becomes a bit of a chore, and I can't imagine doing all of this for every question.  

Thanks,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, understand what you mean, it is a lot of work, and it seems to me the only possibility.  I hope the design of the Advanced answers will be refurbihed, rewritten in a future version. For a responsive project it is even worse. Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope so too.  Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources