• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5: No AVI; multiple FLV/F4Vs

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or that I'm not looking in the right places:

Captivate 4 was able to produce a single SWF which contained all my media, and this could be used by our DRM tools to prevent unauthorized distribution of our content. It could also output the project as an AVI which gave us access to non-flash platforms via playing an AVI or converting it to other video formats.

Captivate 5 doesn't appear to support either of these. As far as I can tell, I need to convert my AVI to FLV/F4V and then I end up with a litany of FLV/F4V media files when I publish. And as for the AVI... I'm not sure how I would go about converting the media and html a single video file.

Someone tell me if I'm missing something here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Huh. Well, I must be doing something wrong.

If I use the Adobe Media Encoder to make the AVIs into either FLV or F4V, put those in the Library of my project, and publish the project with the 'Enable SWF for conversion to iPhone application' checked on unchecked gives me the same results, a directory that looks like:

abc.htm

abc.swf

abc_BDMetadata.xml

standard.js

abc-1.f4v

abc-2.f4v

abc-3.f4v

abc-4.f4v

abc-5.f4v

where the 'abc-*.f4v' files are one-to-one matching what's in the library.
I also noticed that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

AVI is not supported anymore. So, right now the Media support is for F4V only.

Thanks,

Sikandar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we're 50% there: no AVI support (boo), which really means no non-flash support.

(editorial: I can understand support for flash -- this _is_ Adobe, after all... but I don't understand NO support for anything else, even Flash Player support H.264.)

What about the other question?

How do I publish and have a single .SWF container for all my video instead of multiple .FLVs/F4Vs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H,264 output is suported in Captivate 5. When you publish to F4V you get a *single* video file which is encoded with H.264 codec.

If you want to convert this video to MP4 ( again with H.264 ), you can do it with Adobe Media Encoder which is installed free with Captivate 5. This thread also can help you: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3010188#3010188

Both the above methods give single file output (irrespective of numerous videos which you have in your project). However if your are publishing to SWF, then the videos (which you already inserted in Captivate) are kept outside - This is done so that your SWF size is within control and makes the playback experience smooth and fast.

-Sony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Well, I must be doing something wrong.

If I use the Adobe Media Encoder to make the AVIs into either FLV or F4V, put those in the Library of my project, and publish the project with the 'Enable SWF for conversion to iPhone application' checked on unchecked gives me the same results, a directory that looks like:

abc.htm

abc.swf

abc_BDMetadata.xml

standard.js

abc-1.f4v

abc-2.f4v

abc-3.f4v

abc-4.f4v

abc-5.f4v

where the 'abc-*.f4v' files are one-to-one matching what's in the library.
I also noticed that they show up as 'video' in the library. I had an older .CP where the converted (directly by Cap4) showed up as 'media'.
On a lark I used a separate app to convert the same AVI files to SWF, and then import them, and wouldn't you know it, they showed up as 'media' in the library and subsequently converted to a single, large, .SWF, which is what I need.
So, I think I have my answer, unless someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong: Captivate 5 relies on Media Encoder to convert AVI to something it can use. And Media Encoder won't make my AVIs to SWF, so I need to use a third-party app to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think in Captivate 4, you were inserting SWFs into the project. If you so the same in Captivate 5, you will still get a single SWF output. This way you get the same workflow as in Captivate 4.

On the other hand, if you are inserting video, then all those will be kept outside the swf, when published. The alternative is to publish to video - You can select the Media option  when publish and then again select f4v.

-Sony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(hmm... I thought I had responded to this a while back...)

No, in Captivate 4, it did the supported conversions internally -- it never referenced an external application. If I dropped AVI into it, it converted them to something that looked like a flash container but isn't really supported by anything other than CP4.

My observations of the way CP5 works is that it treats 'video' and 'media' different depending on how it was originally imported.

It seems to matter what 'container' format is used. If the imported video used an 'swf' container, then it will publish to one, big, swf.

If the imported video used an FLV/F4V container, then you get a multitude of files. This is all largely some design decisions by Adobe -- why? I don't know, but that is the way it works.

As for the publishing to F4V method, I just tried that and I have to say that I am less than impressed. It has to 'play out' the entire project to convert it to the F4V which implies my whole system is tied up doing that lest I interrupt it and create some kind of artifacts in the output quality.

So far, while there are many things I like about CP5 (Mac, same interface regardless of platform, more consistent options, more stable) there are a host of things I don't like. And while this may, in part, be due to my experiences with similar products and having my own idea on how the workflow should 'work', my subjective analysis is that this is mostly how I felt about 'Windows XP' when it first came out: the kindest thing I could think to say is that it was the least buggiest version of Windows to date. Long term, I left Windows for Mac and never looked back. Adobe makes some great products, PS, PSE, LR, Acrobat -- creating PDF! But this, isn't one of them. I hope it grows up a bit more, and quickly or I'm going to dump it in favor of something that does what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of support for AVI, MOV, etc. makes Captivate far less attractive

I converted to Captivate CS5 because CS4 kept crashing on my 64bit Win7 machine.  If I had known that Adobe was going to pull a stunt like this I would have switched to Camtasia or something else. The small company that employs me counts on me to provide all of their  asynchronous elearning videos and I feel like Adobe has really let me  down - especially since I have been their internal corporate champion.

And even the .F4V files are encoded in some wierd way. 

My company uploads videos to Wistia.com and the .F4V files dont work from captivate.  But Wistia's support center tells me that they can play .F4V created by other products with no problem.

Does Adobe plan to have a patch release or an upgrade that fixes this issue?

~ Sincerely frustrated and dissapointed. 

Ron in Columbus, OH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ron,

Can you try publishing the File as 'F4V Fixed Frame Rate' and check whether it plays? If not, can you share the F4V which doesn't play and will investigate it further here. You can send it to viswanat@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Vish,

I've already tried the fixed frame rate and it didn't work.

The file is rather large. Do you have an FTP site where I can upload it?

Thanks,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources