Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9.0.2 + iOS 10 Audio not playing

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had SCORM courses working on an LMS for the past year with no issues. All have audio voiceovers and small videos in place. Now that iOS 10 has launched, the voiceovers don't play and the videos are skipped instead of downloaded. I haven't changed these course files so it appears something is no longer compatible in the new iOS and is affecting the playback of these courses. They work fine on a desktop, but not on an iPad or iPhone with iOS 10. (Wasn't an issue with iOS 9).

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think it has to do with the Cap 9 update since the files were created in the original 9 and were fine. I've tested a 9.0.2 file and it's the same result so it appears something amiss with how iOS 10 is handling the course files.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks so much,

Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sort of problem is always a possibility when there is some major change to an OS in a mobile device platform.

I suggest you log it as a bug with Adobe.  They may already be aware of the issue but your specific use case will help them work out what to do.

After that you may have to wait patiently for a fix of some kind.

Hopefully someone else here will have found a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, I always appreciate your response and advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that the browser Opera still can play audio and video in scorm.

Johannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

I verified sample 902 content on ios 10, for an Iphone 6 as well as ipad pro. Audio and video seemed to be working fine. I have hosted sample content on a webserver http://trycpcontent.com/leadgen_902/. You can verify if that works fine for your ios device.

Moreover, can you send me one of your sample content created out of cp 902 and share it(via dropbox) to CaptivateHelp@adobe.com?

Thanks,

Aditya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Aditya,

I tested your sample content on my iPhone and iPad and it is indeed working. I will upload my files for you… perhaps I've got a setting or preference or something off?

Thanks so much for your help,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

I can hear the audio fine for the project you sent. Can you check your audio settings once ?

Thanks,

Aditya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aditya,

Did you test it on an iPad and/or iPhone running the new iOS 10? It works fine on a desktop, but not on the iOS v.10. Also, if the audio plays for the voiceovers, does the video on slide three load and play for you? On my iPad and iPhone, the audio for the voiceovers don't play and the video on slide 3 doesn't load but is skipped instead and it moves on to slide 4. All of this worked just fine in the previous iOS v.9. Yes, I did check the audio volume settings on both devices.

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I verified that your example does not work on an iPhone 5 with iOS 10.0.2. While on a strong Wi-Fi connection, it loads forever but never starts playing.

I also verified that your example does not work on an iPad 4 with iOS 10.1.1. While on a strong Wi-Fi connection, it appears to load but never starts playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also expirencing the same issue.  I created scorm packages and use moodle.  They have been working wonderful with Apple mobile devices using IOS 9.3 or lower when Apple released IOS 10 i loose audio and close caption within my scorm courses. 

It appears IOS 10 is not recognizing the scorm package contains audio. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problems with all of my projects (HTML5, no SCORM) with IOS 10. No video or audio working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, my original courses were all SCORM packages. I also tried as a TinCan package with the same results. Format of the course file doesn't seem to make a difference. The problem is consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "problem" is that IOS 10 has included a major change to the way it handles videos and audio.  In the long run this change will probably be a lot better for e-learning.  But in the short term it now means all courses set up to work with the previous IOS will not work with version 10.

So while you are complaining to Adobe, why not complain to Apple as well.  They are just as much part of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple is part to blame but I'm not paying thousands of dollars to Apple to create an e-learning program.  Adobe  needs to figure out the issue and they should be the company to communicate with Apple not the customers who pay thousands of dollars to buy  a program Adobe sells to create elearning on mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can guarantee you Adobe WILL already be communicating with Apple about this recent dramatic change to the IOS video handling.

I chimed in on this thread because I take exception to a unilateral complaint against Adobe as if they are the ONLY party involved in this new issue and were supposed to have somehow pre-empted any and every change to the Apple IOS so that Captivate was already compatible.  That's simply quite unfair and unreasonable.  Apple did this.  Not Adobe.

How was Adobe supposed to have known when they released Captivate 9 (over a year ago now) that 14 months later Apple was going to drop this bomb.  Apple does WHAT it wants to, WHEN it wants to.  It doesn't ask permission.

Adobe will of course now be investigating how to resolve the issue and release updates to accommodate it.  But it can often take weeks or months of effort in software changes and extensive testing to make sure such a major change to the Captivate application output does not introduce some even worse side effect.  Inconvenient or not, we just need to be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem. I just updated my iphone to iOS 10 last night and now I have no sound on all my previously recorded modules that were working just fine. How do we put in a ticket with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

800-833-6687

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone needs to complain and put a ticket with Adobe

800-833-6687

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly suspect it's going to be this iOS bug back again. Everything points to it so far.

Certainly it is NOT going to be an Adobe issue, I can replicate this problem in products other than Adobe ones. Even a simple webpage with just an HTML5 video (or audio) tag in it triggers the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hearing that iOS 10.2 will contain a fix for this issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documentation of issue with new IOS 10 and Scorm with no audio and closed caption.

On 09/24/2016  I discovered using moodle 3.1+ Scorm 1.2 published using Captivate 9.2 only when viewing on an I-PAD or I-Phone using only IOS 10 or greater the audio would disappear along with the closed caption.   However same device using any version of IOS 9 or below worked fine.

On 09/26/2016  The issue was reported to both moodle and Adobe along with several forms that other people were having similar issues.

On 10/02/2016 I decided to test the following: 

I now have come to the conclusion that the issue is part of the moodle LMS

I created a new course with NO GUEST ACCESS and the captivate scorm package made for moodle scorm 1.2 does NOT have audio or closed caption.   However if I place the moodle course with scorm to allow guest access IT WORKS FINE!  Its only when guest access is not allowed when we have an issue.  This only happens with IOS 10 this is not an issue with all versions of IOS 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ0011 wrote:

I now have come to the conclusion that the issue is part of the moodle LMS

PJ0011 I can replicate this bug outside of Moodle so no, it's not.

I suspect the reason it works when guest access is enabled is because the problem is to do with authentication i.e. the session authentication cookie is not being passed by the browser when it requests the video from the server. If guest access does not require authentication then it's not going to trigger the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how to we fix this issue and whom needs to work on it?

apple? Adobe? Moodle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Apple's responsibility to fix as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately it is notoriously difficult to get Apple to admit that there is ever anything wrong with anything they've done 😉

Moodle *may* be able to work around it but I suspect they will be reluctant to when it's not their bug. There is a workaround suggested here.

I don't see that it's anything to do with Adobe whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moloko5​ is correct.  I work for an LMS vendor, and we encountered this issue with our hosted SCORMs on iOS 10 (only.. iOS 9 was fine).

The problem is if you use a cookie of any kind to require access to a video or audio object, that cookie must have a real expiration date (not a session cookie), or the media request will fail.  The possible solutions are:

1) Don't require authentication for media objects, or

2) Use a cookie with an expiration date, not a session cookie

3) Wait for Apple to fix it in iOS 10 (might be never)

We used option #2, and that fixed our problem with iOS10 devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources