Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Control Publishing Format/Size?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I'm new to Captivate and testing to see how things work.

I've imported a PowerPoint presentation, not embedded, and then exported to see what the file structure and size look like.

The PowerPoint is 27MB and the Captivate with the embbeded PowerPoint is 190 MB so I assume Captivate is creating a full res image for each slide.

When I publish to html, the files are saved as PNG and the total project is 105 MB.

In an attempt to reduce the file size, I imported a set of jpegs of the PPT presentation. The total jpgs are 6MB and the Captivate file is 7 MB - much better.

When I publish this version to html, the folder is 37MB. It seems like a lot of extra data and I see that the images are converted to json (which I've never seen before).

I then selected all the slides and set the properties/quality to jpg. When I publish this version to html with publish quality = jpg 50%, the folder is 26MB and images are converted to png.

Is there a way to control the output?

When publishing, the "Size and Qaulity" settings don't have much if any, effect.

What I'd like to do is have Captivate create a slideshow using jpegs, as that is all I need.

Any insight into how the export works will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Size and Quality settings in Preferences relate more to the older SWF output.  Captivate uses JSON to speed up delivery of the content to the end user. HTML5 output with many images would require potentially hundreds of requests to the LMS web server, whereas you can have hundreds of image files serialized into a single JSON file and that means just one request.  Much more efficient.

If you want better control over the output, starting with PowerPoint is the WRONG way to go.  It ties your hands in almost every way possible.  Do yourself a favour and learn how to create your e-learning courses from the ground up in Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I am "converting" many PPT presentations to Captivate. Rebuilding the slides using text and backgrounds would not be economical, but exporting images from PPT is doable. I've found that I can easily drag the images into Captivate and make a slide from each. Then add an audio file to each slide.

Can you suggest an optimal workflow?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You didn't mention in your previous post that these were previously created PowerPoint courses that you were just converting in Captivate.  I understand your dilemma, but your problem will remain the same.

Starting with a PowerPoint deck for a Captivate course is like trying to play guitar with your hands tied together.  You can only get so far before the limitations will prevent a more creative result.

Yes you can add images from the PowerPoint presentation to Captivate slides and then add audio.  This is a better workflow than just importing the entire PowerPoint, but it is also more time-consuming.

What would be the 'optimal workflow' depends on several factors: Time available, project budget constraints, desired quality of the end product.  There is a saying in the e-learning industry: "Good, cheap, fast.  Pick any two."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources