Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and Drop Error

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Here's a challenge for anyone who enjoys unraveling tangled Xmas tree lights.

This question has two parts.

The first is that I have created a drag and drop interaction and checked the box "include in quiz". However, the score slide is showing that it has not been completed and thus I am only getting 10 of 20 points (10 points from a second MC question) Any suggestions on how to fix this?

The next issue is more complicated:

I have created a World Travel themed interaction where the user learns about different countries by using a drag and drop scenario. When the user drops a passport stamp onto the drop target (same target for all 4; but with 4 different states) they are given more information about the topic. The idea is that once they have completed all 4 actions they are taken to the next slide for a new activity. And here's where the problem begins...

I have created a variable to act as a counter and set up my Advanced Action as follows:

If Variable "passport" is equal to 4

Then Go to Next Slide

Else:

Change the state of (image) to 'Belize'

Increment Passport by 1

I created 4 separate actions for each of the countries (Belize, Saudi Arabia, France, and Mexico) and set it up to execute an advanced action after each object is dropped onto the drop target. The variable counter is showing that for each drop action the "score" increases by 1. So far, so good.

However, when I preview the project it requires that I do 5 drops before it advances to the next slide.

I have triple checked everything and can't seem to find where that extra drop is coming from.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I will offer a couple thoughts. Hopefully they are helpful.

Problem 1 - How are the points being assigned? Sounds like two questions at 10 points each. I would want to take a look at those. Maybe we accidentally assigned points to the wrong answer or something like that...? For me, this one would require a bit more information about setup and such. Double check all the drop success actions.

Problem 2 - Sometimes - order of operation matters.

In this case it looks like you only increment in the else statement when variable equals 4 is false.

What that means is that the if statement looking at the variable is already passed over. It will not check again until it is triggered by placement of another stamp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advanced action is used as object action?  I wouldn't have used a counter, but there is a logical bug. You need to increment the counter before checking its value. Which means you need two decisions: the first one not being conditional, incrementing counter, and the second to check its value.

To obtain the score those actions should not be needed. Can you check the Advanced Interaction panel to see if the scores are connected with the right scored objects?

BTW I got this same question twice in my mailbox, from two different ID's. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Here are some screen shots of what I currently have going on:

Advanced Action 1.png

Advanced Action 2.png

If I understand your solution correctly I should delete the conditional statement and set my Object Actions for the drop items to execute the advanced action of only changing the state and increment the variable.

Object Action.png

(currently the advanced actions on this slide are set to the Advanced Actions shown above with the If statement set to Equal to 4))

Go to Next.png

Do I create an advanced action that says IF Around_the_World is equal to 4

Then Go to Next Slide? and should this AA be tied to the Passport Drop Target or On Enter for the main slide?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, while not technically the best from a logic standpoint - what if you just left everything else the way it is and change the if statement to say  if Around_the_World = 3...

It would save a bit of rework time and perhaps do what you want from the user experience side of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you didn't understand what I told. You need an advanced action with TWO decisions. I could write out that actin for you, set up a quick project but read further because you can never have a score for this slide.

Now I see what you want to do more clearly and there is another problem. This slide is used as a Knowledge Check slide, there is no correct answer, which means you cannot assign a score to the exercise at all. A D&D used as a real scored quiz slide needs a correct answer which doesn't exist here. Unless you want to impose a sequence of dragging?

Tell me what you exactly want to achieve: is it compulsory that the learner is doing the exercise, that is already the case because he can never proceed to the next slide without finishing the exercise. If you need a score as well, I would show a Next button after the exercise is completed (for which you may need the forementioned AA) and attach the score to that button.

Another question: why did you extend the duration of the slide?

Last question: hope you realize that you are getting into troubles with a simple counter variable when the learner drags the same object twice to the target? Just to read it again? That is what I already mentioned in my first answer, you need a variable for each drag source and check the value of each of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple drops by the same source would not be a concern if we have four distinct targets that only accept one specific source and they are not allowed to drag the item again. I cannot quite tell from the picture if we have one or four targets.

I am trying not to offer any JavaScript help for this one...

In my head - JavaScript is fixing this quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One target which is acting as a multistate object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me offer the most simple solution for your setup, which is making the D&D a real question, ready for validation, by creating a correct answet:

• Edit the 'Accept Drag Sources' for the target back to its default setup: Accept All and Count = 4
  • Check the correct answer: it should now be that all drag sources have been dragged to the target.
  • You could change the Snap settings to have the drag sources disappear by either setting Scale or Alpha to 0 or to sent then Back instead of Front
  • No need for object actions anymore
  • Just use the Success action with 'Go to Next Slide'

You will have a score in that case without problems.

Only drawback: learner cannot view a state another time. If you really need that, you cannot use the counter as I explained, but need a variable for each drag source, Booleans to be toggled to 1 when the source has been dragged, followed by a condition to see if all sources have been dragged at least once. In that case you still do not have a correct answer (it is almost impossible to indicate all possible sequences as correct answers, in ^that case I agree with Greg you'd need JS). That is why I proposed to show a sored Next button, with a pausing point which is later than the pausing point of the D&D (set by default at 1.5secs), and choose the command 'Continue' for the Success actions of the D&D panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I am still fairly new to Captivate so I hope I understood both of your solutions correctly.

As far as the scoring of the Drag and Drop goes I checked to make sure that the objects were assigned to the correct targets and checked the button include in quiz. I'm not sure what I am missing here but I'm guessing it's right in front of my face.

drag and drop scoring.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to go to the next slide immediately after the fourth stamp is placed...

It is all about the sequence.

Must increment variable followed by the if statement - You are currently doing the opposite of checking with the if statement followed by incrementing.

I see that every stamp runs an advanced action. If it  does not matter which order the stamps go in - all of them will need to increment first followed by running the if statement because the code is executed in the order it is written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources