• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing the CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl file

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 9 (subscription) and I would like to change the the default caption text. I am recording a web-based application and the default text is "Select..." I would like to simply change this to "Click".

I found the appropriate file in the program file for Captivate and I opened it in Notepad to make the change. However, when I tried to save the file, I got a popup message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. contact the administrator to obtain permission."

I work from home and Captivate is installed on my private computer. So, doesn't that make ME the administrator? If not, how do I become the administrator?

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Make the changes to the CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl file except instead of trying to save it to its original location, save it to your desktop. Once saved copy the newly created file on your desktop to the original location of CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl. It will ask you for administration permission if you wish to overwrite it. Agree and it will replace the original with your modified version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you Run Captivate as Administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do run Captivate as an administrator. I think this may be a Windows 10 issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not due to Win10, because I run it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Paul Wilson for the solution! Here are the steps written out:

Use this procedure to change the default text in capture captions.

1.    Open Windows Explorer and navigate to where Captivate was installed. This may vary, but a common path is: C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Captivate

2.    Copy the CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl file to a different location such as your Desktop. Note: It is recommended that you also make a backup copy.

3.    Open the file in Notepad and make changes as needed.

4.    Save and close the file.

5.    Copy the edited file back to the original location. A prompt will advise you that you need administrator permission to overwrite the file. Click Continue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the changes to the CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl file except instead of trying to save it to its original location, save it to your desktop. Once saved copy the newly created file on your desktop to the original location of CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl. It will ask you for administration permission if you wish to overwrite it. Agree and it will replace the original with your modified version. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Paul! Your solution worked perfectly. This will save me tons of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources