• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firewall exception each time Captivate 8 is launched

Advisor ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I launch Captivate 8 I get a Windows Security Alert asking me to add an exception to my Windows Firewall for Captivate. The details of each exception point to a location inside my appdata\local\temp directory.

C:\users\mstephens\appdata\local\temp\cp3916420360387session\cptrustfolder3916420360387\adobecaptivatews

C:\users\mstephens\appdata\local\temp\cp8020420386985session\cptrustfolder8020420386985\adobecaptivatews

C:\users\mstephens\appdata\local\temp\cp11584515494399session\cptrustfolder11584515494399\adobecaptivatews

I have the main executable added as an exception already but I get the prompt for new temp folders on each launch.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

I was having this same issue with Cp8 in Windows 7. I contacted TCS support and they helped me solve it for me. I asked if they would be willing to reply here with a link to download the fix, but they said "We don’t know, when we will be providing the link to the file, however we will be updating about the same on our forum and hopefully can come up with the link to the file shortly."

However they don't have an issue with me posting it, so here it is.

1. In C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 8\SW

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I'm assuming it's a bug as it is noted as a top issue by Adobe.

http://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/kb/top-issues-captivate-8.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely a bug. I contacted Adobe directly about this and they confirmed it is a bug and the representative said that Adobe is working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also experienced the same issue with Captivate. Glad to see Adobe's aware and working on it. For users with local admin access this isn't a problem but in our environment users do not have local admin rights so this poses a problem. Fortunately it seems there's a simple workaround: Just wait for Captivate to finish loading completely before click on the Cancel button on the Windows Firewall prompt. If you wait until Captivate loads, clicking Cancel will not terminate the program and seemingly all functionality remains intact. If you click Cancel before Captivate is finished loading it will terminate Captivate. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case I am working at a home computer, no issues with local admin rights. I have tried out you solution, but it doesn't work. When I wait for Captivate to load I get to see the opening screen for a few seconds and then it suddenly disappears. Cancel or no cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate . Curiously do you have Run As Administrator checked? Maybe that'll make a difference and sorry if it seems obvious but in my experience sometimes the most obvious solutions are overlooked. If it isn't, try checking it and then hitting Cancel on the WIndows FIrewall prompt after Captivate loads. Otherwise it seems the only thing to do is for Adobe to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Have done everything you mentioned without success. I guess it comes down to waiting for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Until Adobe addresses the issue with a service release, it won't matter if you have Run As Administrator enabled or not (And you should ALWAYS be running as Administrator).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would happen if we just deleted that folder or that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem in my organisation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue with Cp8 in Windows 7. I contacted TCS support and they helped me solve it for me. I asked if they would be willing to reply here with a link to download the fix, but they said "We don’t know, when we will be providing the link to the file, however we will be updating about the same on our forum and hopefully can come up with the link to the file shortly."

However they don't have an issue with me posting it, so here it is.

1. In C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 8\SWF_Components\ws rename CivitWEb.exe to CivitWeb_bak.exe, or move it to your desktop.
  2. Download CivitWeb.txt from my Dropbox.
  3. Move the .txt version to the \ws folder above and change the .txt extension to .exe.
  4. Launch Captivate.

Once I placed the file, I no longer got the firewall warnings, and no more buildup of cp session folders. I was also having an issued with browser previews not working. That issue was solved also. They said that with this file in place, Edge Inspect preview wouldn't work, but it is working for me.

Hopefully this will help others until Adobe has an official update or fix. Of course this is at your own risk. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised they have not released this yet or updated the software with the fix. Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a good fix.  Who is "TCS Support"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely simply "Adobe Support". Captivate is part of a bundle known as the "Technical Communication Suite" (or TCS).

My guess is that this is what was being referred to.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I mean. We use the the Tech Comm Suite. Adobe's TCS support is a different department than FrameMaker, Captivate, or Robohelp support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers! Thank you for the CivetWeb fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Its worked for me !!!..

Regards

Eldhose Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DarrelTenter Thanks for your fix! I no longer get this pop-up, but my browser previews are now maximum size and are not responsive (they don't resize to the window). I like to have the preview fit in the window so that I can see everything that's going on. Any ideas on this? Anybody else have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  Has this been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue, and to date, Adobe has NOT fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, but I found that just by renaming the CivitWeb.exe file to a .bak extension you're never prompted about the firewall. I haven't noticed any effects from doing so that cause Captivate to function incorrectly.

EDIT: Don't do this if you want to use the preview to HTML5. Removing the file causes this ability to no longer function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is wondering, this issue also exists with Captivate 9 but can be resolved using this same method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the fix and it worked. But i now cannot Preview a responsive project. When i click the windows yellow bar message to remove it, the loading icon stays onscreen and nothing else happens. I have reinstalled captivate (9.0.0.223) - preview works but i still get the firewall exception message. Do back to square one. Regards Donal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't follow my suggestion to just delete or rename the civetweb.exe file. Doing so means you won't be able to get results from SCORM Cloud if you use it for testing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources