• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to center text on knowledge check submit button

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a course with a large number of knowledge checks.  On some of the KCs, the text for the Submit button is centered, for others is it left-aligned.  I don't see any style options that will allow me to set the alignment.  I need them all centered.

Grateful for any responses!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which theme do you use? Normally all quiz buttons (they use the Quiz Button style) have centered labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a custom theme created by our design team.  I suspect it stems from many of the slides being created using copy and paste or duplicate and then changing the questions instead of inserting new KC slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sighing, think your suspicion is correct. Personally, due to many years of issues with copy/paste I will avoid that as much as possible. Do not copy/paste quiz slides, use the quizzing master slide and the object styles (all part of the theme) to change design. I did see the copy/paste recommendation already several times today, and I'm always sighing. Duplicate is a tid better, because it is not using the clipboard, but nevertheless. Did you try to reset the master slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The button is correct on the master slide, but when I create a new slide, the button resizes to the size of the text; when I resize it, the text becomes left-aligned.  However, the issue does not replicate when I try this in the original file we use as our staring point for new courses, so I think my overworked file is corrupted.

The reason I used copy/paste in the first place is that when I create a knowledge check slide, while it carries over the styles and formatting from the master for the correct feedback, the positioning is not the same, and there is no retry or failure caption on the master so I have to completely reformat those captions every time I create a new KC slide. Is there a way to create a new master quiz slide that includes those captions?  I don't think it will help my current course, but it could save me in the next one.

At this point, I am resigned to creating a new file and copying over the "good" content slides and rebuilding all of the knowledge checks.  I know, there's that "copy and paste" again...!  I'm holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy/paste is a work flow very often leading to issues. Label on Submit

button is centred by default. Master slide has all feedback messages, in

the same location stacked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are sighing Lilybiri and so is everyone who works with this program.

I have the same problem and I did not copy and paste anything. I created Quiz slides from a GIFT file and yet here we are. The button text is left aligned.  I click "Reset Master Slide", it reloads correctly, only to be left aligned again after a few seconds.  And there is no setting with which we could address this. All I can do is keep hitting the Reset Masterslide button, or throw everything out and start over again and again and again.

And btw, the "Copy/Paste" workflow" isn't exactly a bizarro way to go about things. It's just about the most common and useful things about computers. So sad Captivate cannot do something so basic. And if it really cannot, then it should disallow it, so we don't have to spend hours speculating about what exactly just happened that trashed our last week of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, distrust of Copy/Paste is something I acquired decades ago, before I used Captivate. It is not linked with Captivate at all.

If you still have the right aligned text in those transparent buttons, something is awry with the theme. That was what I answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilibiri is correct.  The problem with using Copy / Paste directly from any other application (other than perhaps a plain text editor such as Notepad or similar) is that it can bring along text formatting as well.  This formatting may not be compatible with Captivate and can create the kind of conflicting behaviour you have seen.

You can use Copy / Paste, as long as you avoid this trap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a copy/paste issue. When you create a new knowledge check slide, it puts the Submit button on the slide by default. There is no way to copy/paste this button. It's part of the software. The funny thing is, if you check the box to include a Back button or any of the other buttons, the text on those buttons is centered by default. It's just the Submit button where the text is aligned to the left by default. There is no option to change this.

The work-around to this bug is to edit the button text and add 5-6 spaces before the word Submit (e.g., "     Submit") which can give the appearance of centering, but I have not tested this work-around in mobile or other published formats. This is clearly a bug. I hope this work-around helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this issue on my system when I create a new project and add a KC slide.  No matter how I resize the Submit buttons I don't see any change to left alignment.

You are correct that adding a KC slide or normal quiz slide into a Captivate project will mean the Submit button is on the slide by default (because that's the usual way people will want to submit their answer to the question), but I don't see the alignment issue.  Is there any other information you can share about your system OS or Captivate version or language version of the app that might make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mr. Ward for your quick response. We are using Cp 2019 v11.01.266 on Windows 10 (US English) and are in the process of evaluating the next version for use on our network. I've run across this problem for several versions. I hope it is fixed in the most current version. When we are able to install it, I look forward to it. In the meantime, the work-around of adding spaces is just one of those things you have to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - I checked with some colleagues in my company and re-downloaded the latest corporate template. It works fine with the latest template. So, I have to conclude it was somehow a problem with my template or the customizations in the object manager that I put in there. If I ever pinpoint the source of the problem (if its something I did in the object manager) I'll post it. If not, then it was probably the template I was using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That makes sense.  The original poster above mentioned that they were using a custom Theme in their Captivate installation and that they had been doing a lot of copy and paste.  This can introduce corruption into the template and cause formatting issues like the ones you have seen.

The way to check if this might be the case is to see what happens when you just create a new project using the default Captivate theme.  If you don't see the issue then, but DO see it appear when you apply your custom theme, then it's likely the formatting in the theme that is causing it.

What would be nice is if Adobe decided to add extra formatting options to the Object Style Manager so that it became possible to configure things like the alignment of all quiz text objects and buttons.  Currently the options are quite limited and this can leave you without much option other than to do what you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources