• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5 published course bookmark in LMS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I create a slide presentation course in Captivate, I publish the course using HTML/SWF and send the zip file to our LMS vendor to upload.  Right now, they are using the HTML5 file only.  I would like users to be able to pick up the slide presentation course where they left off.  The LMC can remember to resume the user to the page that holds the slide presentation but it will resume to the beginning and not on the actual slide.  Is there a way to set it up inside captivate before exporting that allow a user to resume to the actual slide?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

I just noticed something in your earlier post.  You said that you "have five sections in the course and each section plays a 5-15 minute long captivate file. The problem is that if a user leaves during the captivate section and returns later they must start the entire section over again."

Am I correct in understanding here that you have embedded five previously published Captivate outputs INSIDE another Captivate shell project?  This might explain why you are seeing those sections always start f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set up the course as a SCO, by filling out Quiz, Preferences, Reporting? In that case the bookmarking is normally turned on by default. You can check in the Reporting dialog box, under the Advanced button if 'Never send Resume Data' is UNCHECKED, wich is the default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not actually using the quiz to show completion.  I am building the quiz inside the LMS. The "Never Send Resume Data" box is unchecked. Should I check the box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, do NOT check that box because that would disable bookmarking totally.

Can you show the Reporting dialog box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

captivate.PNG

The quiz is built and graded inside our LMS system, not in captivate.  Our LMS vendor is using the HTML5 file.  I have five sections in the course and each section plays a 5-15 minute long captivate file. The problem is that if a user leaves during the captivate section and returns later they must start the entire section over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use the criterion 100% slide views, because you are never sure that all slides will be totally viewed.

If there is a quiz, use that for the completion criterion.

Did you try in SCORM Cloud as well, to check if the problem is with the LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not try the scorm cloud to test.  However, if I am building the quiz inside the LMS with their tool and not in Captivate, would I still have to use the quiz to show completion in order for the course to start where you left off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed something in your earlier post.  You said that you "have five sections in the course and each section plays a 5-15 minute long captivate file. The problem is that if a user leaves during the captivate section and returns later they must start the entire section over again."

Am I correct in understanding here that you have embedded five previously published Captivate outputs INSIDE another Captivate shell project?  This might explain why you are seeing those sections always start from the beginning.

What format are these 'embedded' Captivate outputs, SWF or HTML5?  If HTML5, are you inserting them as web objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the five published captivate scorm files are added to a course shell but it's not a captivate shell. The shell is a course shell that is created by our LMS vendor. After speaking with our LMS vendor, they are uploading the scorm zipped file and using an iframe to add the HTML5. So it seems as though the HTML5 is only getting used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I would say that the bookmarking is not working because of something related to how your LMS vendor is loading the HTML5 SCORMs.  My guess is that it's reloading the iframe in a way that is killing the resume data.

If you want confirmation that it is the LMS at fault, just upload the same HTML5 SCORM zips to SCORM Cloud and see if they resume properly there when they are NOT being loaded from within your LMS iframe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it's something specific to your LMS. I use 3 different ones with settings similar to what you show in your screenshot and am getting the results that you're asking for- I can log out of the LMS and go back in and be in the same place. Can you share who the vendor is to see if any of us use it to be of further assistance? Does the vendor not allow you to upload for yourself or are you paying them to do it for you? It would be interesting to see what their settings are for adding scorm objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo RodWard, 
I'm using Captivate 9 with bookmark. When popup appears, Ok and Cancel do the same action, they bring me where I stopped (the last slide view). 
Maybe should I set anything different?
Best regards

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Resume Data bookmarking, or do you also have Self-Paced Learning bookmarking turned on as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have both turned on.
I've tried to uncheck Resume Data but it's same behavior...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using an LMS with SCORM modules you should NOT have Self-Paced Learning turned on.  Only use Resume Data bookmarking with an LMS.  If you have both types of bookmarking turned on then they will fight with each other. 

Self-paced Learning bookmarking only really stores information about which slide the user got up to and it stores that data in the user's browser Local Storage area on their PC or mobile device.  It doesn't consider any other factors.

Resume Data bookmarking stores information about the user's progress through the content as well as their interaction with any scored assessment interactions.  It stores the data in the LMS database. Nothing is stored locally on the user's computer or browser.  This is the one you should be using if you are delivering this content from an LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much RodWard 🙂

Wish you a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources