Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Options missing from Properties window for smart shape

Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel really stupid. I recently updated my Captivate 8 to 8.0.1.242 and now I can't figure out how to change the color of my smart shapes. I don't see the fill or stroke settings. Is there somewhere new I should be looking? Shouldn't they be under the "State" area? All is see is the opacity setting.

smart_shape_properties.jpg

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Maybe you need to reset your preferences.

If you are using PC, Close Captivate.

Right-Click the shortcut you use to start Captivate and choose Properties.

Click the Open Folder Location button.

Find and open the Utils folder,

Run the CleanPreferencesWin file.

Restart Captivate, open the project and see if the issue is resolved.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I would have started with clearing the cache, and restarting CP and PC, it sometimes helps as well and you don't lose all customization. Maybe that is not important, but for me it takes at least half an hour to reset everything, so I avoid to clean preferences until I have tried all other techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, what was I thinking, not doing a restart. Tech support 101---turn it off and turn it back on. Restarting did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri

Unfortunately your solution did not work for me. This contribution is more for Adobe than you. This has become a very annoying problem. I cannot get to the Smart Shape properties. Even creating a new smart shape (which I intent to delete) did not active the properties. Sometimes these properties just seem to appear after a few frustrating clicks on the smart shape...but not today!!!!! Is this on the bugs to be fixed ASAP list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I'm not from Adobe, but I suspect it is due to something in your setup/system. Why did I never see this, and working many hours a day with CP. It needs to be identified what is the cause. A bug that happens to (almost) everyone is much easier to solve than one that happens only to a small number of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me, too.  PC restart worked last time but now I can't solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences, clearing caches etc does not work for me.  Can we set this question back to "unanswered" please?

EDIT: OK, it finally worked, but I'm not convinced that it came back as a result of the actions taken: I think if I'd hit it with the bible and done half a dozen restarts it may also have worked.  I still think the thread should be set back to "unanswered".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NeilHoskins I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It started after I upgraded to 9.0.2.4. So frustrating. I have tried everything. I think I am going to have to uninstall and reinstall Captivate and forgo the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unfortunate that this issue is still persistent in Nov 2019, and while resetting the preferences via the 'CleanPreferencesWin/Mac' executable does wipe your custom layouts, it seems to have worked in resetting Captivate's sometimes 'buggy' interface. I think it's something that's worth doing semi-regularly, along with clearing the cache. MOST IMPORTANTLY, there is a way to keep your custom layouts - after a while searching I found this thread which I think should be a part of this discussion.

https://elearning.adobe.com/2018/10/ive-reset-preferences-custom-workspaces-mac/

(Note: it is directed at Mac users, but I'm sure it would be similar for Windows!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen this bug since a long time, but I use Windows. Maybe my blog, which is still valid, also explains how to keep customisation when cleaning the Preferences:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/cativate-8-dot-0-1-install-keep-your-customisation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely helped, I noticed you don't comment anymore, you still alive and well in the Captivate world ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been having the same problem. Clearing the cache and restarting Captivate and computer did not work for me.

I managed to get back the full fill and stroke properties by creating a new smart shape on a slide. That seemed to 'jog the Property panels memory.'

Captivate 8.0.1.242

Mac OS X 10.10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what about refreshing the Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Stimpski and NeilHoskins - this question is NOT answered. This is an annoying software bug that definitely requires a software patch from Adobe ASAP. Software that costs $1100 a copy shouldn't behave this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

I've unmarked the "correct answer" for this thread as requested.

One thing I'm wondering. And this is more of a work-around than a true "solution". If you create a totally new blank project, do the properties then appear for a smart shape in the new project?

My thought is that it's possibly something specific to the project and maybe a totally fresh one will offer the settings. And if so, you could work past it by configuring the shape in the new project, then copying from the new to the existing project.

Yeah, I know it shouldn't happen in a perfect world. But sometimes all we can do is help one another find ways past the obstacles!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick if it is a bug, it is very strange that I was never able to reproduce it at all, and I spent a lot of time trying to repro each issue. It looks more linked with something on the systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure whether it's a bug or not. I don't believe I even stated that. But I did unmark the correct answer as folks are still experiencing it and they don't have a solution.

I've worked in call centers enough to know that I NEVER tell someone what they are observing isn't happening. Clearly they are seeing an issue whether or not anyone can actually reproduce it on their end. No?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about the clearing. And I don't say it is not a bug, just that it happens so inconsistently, that a real exploration of all factors that could cause this should be started. And that is really very difficult, even impossible in a forum like this. Moreover the bug form has no longer Captivate in the application list, we cannot even point to that neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I hadn't noticed the form had changed.

Have you reported it via our channels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, a while ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the exact same issue this morning - working fine last week and now monday morning comes and it doesn't work! can't adjust properties of smartshapes - after wondering for a while if I'd done something wrong I thought I would see if anyone else was experiencing this issue.

Luckily for me a system reboot seemed to "magically" fix it but I would suggest as a number of users are experiencing it there needs to be a more effective solution provided. Especially as for some the reboot only fixed it once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me too... I was working on a project in C9 this morning, closed it down for lunch, relaunched on return and it didn't show caption colour options on an existing text box. A few clicks around from style to options then back again did the trick.

Now, I am still able to change text colour in properties, but smartshapes is a no go!

I have also tried closing down C9 again and created a new project etc. but it hasn't changed yet. I shouldn't have to wiped my preferences and cache... it should just work, like you'd expect a £1k piece of software to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same here, same thing is happening to me.

This week, I noticed my Adobe Captivate 9 subscription edition (home PC) is missing the same Smart Shape Fill options and Stroke options that jordan.perry posted above. Meanwhile, by comparison, my AC9 full license version (work PC) is fine, showing the full set of Smart Shape Fill and Stroke options.

Needless to say, the subscription version needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources