Exit

Play/Pause a video

Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivaters !... 🙂

Today I started to play with video...

I recorded a video from Youtube (without advertisement... which is so rare !!!...)

I inserted it in my Captivate library and inserted it in a slide... but would also like to add a simple control "play/pause" button...

I found some help (as usual) in Paul's video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq9XIyw_SFo

But I didn't manage to make the javascript code working as expected (or as explained in the Adobe documentation) !...

So instead of the javascript command, I just put a "Pause" command... And it perfectly did the trick !...

So I'm wondering what I am missing ???... It seemed to be so simple !!!...

Take care and stay safe... And happy captivating !...

😉

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Simple explanation. You don't talk about the same type of video as in that 'tutorial'. 

Event video is normally playing totally independent of Captivate.  Reason why it has a dedicated control panel when you insert a video as event video.

You have inserted the video as slide video. That type of video is synchronzied with Captivate's Timeline and can be controlled by Captivate. The Pause command will pause the video, the Continue command will resume playing. Or if you want to use system variables

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Whether you have the video inserted as event video or slide video is your choice. It doesn't matter where you got the video. If you want to convert to an interactive video similar to my example it needs to be a slide video. If you want the video in a multistate object and/or in a Fluid Box it needs to be an event video.

I explained the main differences. Event videos behave totally independent. That means that you cannot pause the video with the Pause button on the Captivate playbar or with a P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple explanation. You don't talk about the same type of video as in that 'tutorial'. 

Event video is normally playing totally independent of Captivate.  Reason why it has a dedicated control panel when you insert a video as event video.

You have inserted the video as slide video. That type of video is synchronzied with Captivate's Timeline and can be controlled by Captivate. The Pause command will pause the video, the Continue command will resume playing. Or if you want to use system variables: cpCmndPause and cpCmndResume may allow for a toggle button.

Have a look at this Interactive video:

Custom Play/Pause button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lily !... 🙂

I was sure you would give me a bright light on this matter so quickly I didn't have to look elsewhere !...

If I understood correctly, the javascript command is useful if you take the video from the internet, but if you have it in the project, simple commands are ok ?...

Stay safe !...

PS : Thanks for the video !... I like it !... Cristal clear now !... (Hope so !...)

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether you have the video inserted as event video or slide video is your choice. It doesn't matter where you got the video. If you want to convert to an interactive video similar to my example it needs to be a slide video. If you want the video in a multistate object and/or in a Fluid Box it needs to be an event video.

I explained the main differences. Event videos behave totally independent. That means that you cannot pause the video with the Pause button on the Captivate playbar or with a Pause command. You can only pause it with the dedicated control panel which appears when you hover over the bottom of the video. You can put a very long event video on a slide of 3 seconds which is pausing, video will play completely.  Event video is, similar to animations, an 'object' which is not listening to nor obeying Captivate out of the box. To control it (never needed that myself, but I am not a video lover) you need to switch to embedded JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I wasn't perfectly clear about these videos !!!... I think it's mainly because all the explanations I found are in english... and there are some subtilities I don't really take into consideration...

I will have to make more tries !!...

I'm also not a big fan of videos which I find too "passive"... and I just started to use one...

(I think what upsetted me the most is that we are bombarded with advertisement !!...)

Big thanks again !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je m'excuse, j'ai oublié de répondre en français. Mon problème est que je ne connais pas les traductions de la terminologie de Captivate en français. Comment traduire 'event video'?  Evénement?

Je viens d démarrer une série de blogues sur les actions partagées. Pas sur la création mais sur l'utilisation des actions, créees par des experts. Pour moi c'est les possiblités sont tout à fait négligés. Je vais essayer de créer quelques petits vidéos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aucune raison de t'excuser !!!... Tu en fais plus que quiconque déjà !!!...

Et ça me fait cogiter de m'exprimer ici en anglais !... Hi hi !... (Je vis à Londres en plus !...)

The french documentation isn't very clear also on the subject !!!

https://helpx.adobe.com/fr/captivate/user-guide.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/fr/captivate/using/differences-event-synchronized-videos.html

It should be some "google translate" job !... Hi hi !...

"Shared actions" are no doubt under-estimated !... I'm sure you'll help us to learn more about them !... I also just started to use some... And used a lot the copy/paste/rename fonctions instead of using them !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comme la majorité des pages de la documentation officielle, ce page n'a pas été renové depuis des années. Il n'y a pas question des Fluid Boxes, ni des objets 'multistate'. J'avais l'habitude de dire: ne cherchez jamais dans la documentation officielle, mais posez la question dans le forum, ce qui est un peu rude...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... mais ce qui n'est pas faux non plus !...

Et ce que j'ai pu en lire hier était incompréhensible !!!...

On comprend mieux pourquoi ce logiciel ne rencontre guère de succès en France en particulier et j'imagine en Europe en général !...

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Il y a beaucoup plus de licenses de Captivate en Europe que des autres outils. Mais le support ni  le marketing ne sont pas à la hauteur.  L'Anglais est un problème pour les francophones plus que pour les germanophones. Je n'ai aucune idée de la situation dans les pays de l'Europe de sud. La dernière fois que j'ai présenté pour Adobe en Europe date de 2010... en Anglais bien sûr. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources