Exit

Problems with the view area and menu bars for video-demo

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

I hope I can find some help here.

When I record a video demo in Captivate (2017 Release), after I click the Video-Edit button the usual view does not appear. The menu bar is missing. The timeline is not docked. Why is this happening?

different-views_captivate.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Viktoria

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

WIshed I would dare to write in German which I can speak, but am afraid of making too much 'Fehler'.

Can you follow my step-by-step explanation:

• Close Captivate
  • Look in your profile for c:\users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\\Adobe\Captivate 10.0
  • Rename that file (or delete it, but by renaming you have a backup)
  • Restart Captivate, a new folder will be created. That Captivate 10.0 folder is the Preferences folder for this version.

The folder named 'Captivate 10.0   IS THE PREFERENCES folder. It is not labeled '

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else posted a similar issue a while ago (difficult to find with search functionality). That was about the missing toolbar (Big Button Bar) at the top, don't remember that the Timeline was floating. Which OS are you using?

The video editor definitely has not at all the same functionality of the cptx workspace.  I see on the (vey tiny) screenshots that you are on a German version, and that the right docking panel has only the Library visible. Can you show other panels with the 'Fenster' menu? From the cptx-view I see that you are working in the Newbie UI, which makes floating of the timeline in the cpvc-file even more weird. Can you switch the Timeline to Mouse view (with Ansicht)?

First idea (but doubt that will be the cause): did you ever use two monitors?

Did you try to clean the preferences? If you have administrator rights look for the subfolder 'utils' under the installation folder of Captivate. Close Captivate and run the CleanPreferences.... file appropriate for your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lilybiri,

Thank you for the quick answer!

I work on Windows 10 Pro with Captivate 2017 release. And yes, this is a german version.

Unfortunately I don't have administrator rights, so I have to assign the IT-admins and that will take time. I'll pass your suggestion with cleaning the preferences to them.

I hope it'll do some good. 😕

Here is another screenshot with reduced options for video editing...

different-views_captivate_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could post in German, but have to allow me to answer in English.

You seem not to have understood what I tried to explain: the Video Demo editor has a lot less options than the cptx UI. You cannot compare them at all as you did with the screenshots. The cpvc editor has less panels than the cptx interface. Moreover in the Newbie UI what you see in a menu like 'Fenster' is limited, which is not the case in the Expert UI. You do see the Video Effects. When you look at the Ansich menu, you are probably able to switch to mouse options as well.

There is a manual way of clearing the Preferecnes that doesn't need Administrator rights, sorry it is for the English version of Win10:

1. Close Captivate
  2. Look in your profile for c:\users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\\Adobe\Captivate 10.0
  3. Rename that file (or delete it, but by renaming you have a backup)
  4. Restart Captivate, a new folder will be created. That Captivate 10.0 folder is the Preferences folder for this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lilybiri, thank you again for your quick response!

Unfortunately I can neither see the folder "utils" nor "CleanPreferences" in my Local folder (Local/Adobe/Captivate etc.). Probably because this is my local folder. I don't have the appropriate rights for the admin folder.

Our IT support will try your solution bit it will probably take a little longer... 😕

Til then I've found the following solution for myself (I think you also suggested it in another forum):

I start with a normal slide project and add the video demo. This way all menus and the customary view are just where they should be.

Thank you very much for your helpfulness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIshed I would dare to write in German which I can speak, but am afraid of making too much 'Fehler'.

Can you follow my step-by-step explanation:

• Close Captivate
  • Look in your profile for c:\users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\\Adobe\Captivate 10.0
  • Rename that file (or delete it, but by renaming you have a backup)
  • Restart Captivate, a new folder will be created. That Captivate 10.0 folder is the Preferences folder for this version.

The folder named 'Captivate 10.0   IS THE PREFERENCES folder. It is not labeled 'Preferences' because you can have several versions of CP. There is no file to run to delete that folder as is the case for the one in the 'utils' folder. You just either delete that  Captivate 10.0 folder or you rename it to have a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh! Yes! It seems to work now!

Screenshot_Captivate_cpvc_itworks.png

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, was getting desperate! English is not my mother tongue neither, 3rd language following Dutch and French.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we both made it:)

Yeah!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works perfectly. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're weclome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources