• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project with Overlay Slides - Convert HTML5 output to MP4?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a project and imported a regular video file (mp4). It gave me this cool option of Overlay slides so I built my video/course around this idea.

Now I can only export as HTML5 and I want to get it on YouTube as a straight up video so I need to get it converted to MP4 or some other compatible format.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I realize that that Captivate automatically turned my imported video into an Interactive Video (a feature I had not explored yet). I spent a lot of time creating the overlay slides and now i'm worried that i'm out of luck. Please help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slide video with Overlay Slides is not supported in publishing to Video Output.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Paul, I realize that now that I have read up on it a little.

Do you know of any way to turn that HTML5 output (which is really just a video anyway - I have no interactivity built in since it was supposed to be a YouTube video) into an MP4 video? I've tried converters but none recognize the HTML5 output as a "video"...

I ended up exporting each of my Overlay slides separately as mp4's and used iMovie to put it back together the way I wanted it. 

Next time I will probably just use iMovie from the start when creating a video with no interactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inserting a video as slide video will automatically add the timelines for bookmarking and overlay slides. I reported this as a bug, because lot of users only want to publish to PASSIVE video, which is the only way to publish to YouTuve or Vimeo.  It is very tempting of course to use those timelines to go to an INTERACITVE video, which could be a lot more engaging as learning asset, but cannot be published to those platforms.

You are not the first to be confused. Inserting interactive video should be only possible uising the new Big BUtotn to avoid that confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I wish that wasn't the default. I wasted a lot of time trying to sort that out last night. Anyway, see my other reply to Paul Wilson. I was able to workaround and get my video created last night. Thank you for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be still some misunderstanding. If you don't insert bookmarks nor overlay slides, you can export to MP4, even if you inserted the video as slide video. It is only when you use bookmarks or overlay slides that the MP4 option will be unavailable because it is no longer a passive video. For static slides with interactivity, you would just lose the interactivity if you published to MP4, but apparently interactive video slides cannot be decapitated from the overlay slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No I get that. The problem was that I had initially exported a full video file from iMovie and imported it into Captivate and used Overlay Slides at various points in the 19 minute video. The fix was to unlink all the Overlay slides and just exported them separately and edited the video (with overlay slides) in iMovie.

I couldn't break up the video in Captivate in order to add the "overlay" slides where they needed to be in order to allow it to be published to MP4. 

I still want to know though if anyone knows a way to convert the published HTML5 output to an mp4 video but i'm thinking it can't be done since i've been googling it all night lol!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources