• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storyboard view in Captivate 5

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using Captivate .  I took the training on Captivate 4, dowloaded the trial version which is Captivate 5, and now can't locate the storyboard view.  Can anyone tell me how to get to it?  As I recall,  Captivate 4 had a tab on the right hand side where you could choose branching, edit or storyboard.

Let me know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

The Storyboard view is no more in Captivate 5. I think the closest thing to it is probably Branching view. You may also rearrange the Film Strip so it resembles more the Storyboard view.

If you feel the Storyboard view was a useful thing to have and you would like to see it return, please consider submitting a Wish Form to advise the development team about it. (Link is in my sig area)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The storyboard view in V.4 was helpful because it had an information area at the lower left that displayed total project length in mm:ss.

Is there a way to view the entire running time of a project in CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For the moment the only way to see the total project running time is by activating the TOC (Project menu). By default the total time is displayed in the bottom of the TOC.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri.

That's helpful to know, but it's a lot of extra steps just to find out the duration of your project (i.e., you have to turn on TOC then preview in the browser then remember to turn TOC off if you aren't going to use it in the published version).

I submitted an enhancement request to see if this functionality could be brought back, doesn't really have to be in storyboard view but it should be easier to accomplish than it is now in version 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As Rick mentioned you can create a storyboard view -feel by resizing the Filmstrip. Resize it such that it will cover the entire stage. Now you can play with your slides and rearrange them as well.

-Ashwin Bharghav B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick and Ashwin

That doesn't answer jhartmannj's question.

Like jhartmannj it is not just the 'look' of the storyboard it is the features and functions ot the storyboard that were useful.

Just the view of storyboard is useless, its the functionality that is the issue.

Once again thank you Lilybiri, your knowledge is legendary on this subject; but like suede vest it is a cumbersome workaround when an already perfect method existed.

Like suede vest I have also submitted an enhancement request.

I like the look and feel of 5 and 5.5 but I must ask the question: Whose decision was it not to include this feature in these versions. No doubt it was a programmer, was there ever any consultation with actual users of your product to see what features are useful?

So if this is included on another update of Captivate I assume that means we will have to purchase another update of Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't blame the programmers for this, because they're usually at the bottom of the food-chain and don't get to make arbitrary decisions about leaving out or putting in some piece of functionality in the final version of an app.  That decision falls to managers, and it will usually come down to whether or not that piece of functionality can be built in the available timeframe before go-live and whether it can be tested as bullet-proof enough to work reliably.

When Captivate 5 was being scoped out the objective was to provide everything that Captivate 4 already had.  Unfortunately, it took longer to build than was hoped (software always does) and some things didn't make the final cut before deadline.

By all means submit enhancement requests for any feature that you feel passionate about.  As these requests mount up it helps to show Adobe where their development budget should get allocated in Captivate 6 and beyond.  If a previous feature were to be dropped and nobody complained, that would be a pretty good indication to me that nobody cared about it, and I would be looking to build something else instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Andrew

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You said:

thedarf wrote:

Rick and Ashwin

That doesn't answer jhartmannj's question.

I took the question to mean that jhartmannj was asking where the storyboard view was in Captivate 5. As it doesn't exist, I feel my original answer of "It is no more" (meaning it no longer exists) was totally accurate and answered the question. You may not agree with the answer and wish it were different. But it was accurate, no?

I note that in Captivate 5.5 the team added a new area called Project Info that offers some of what the Storyboard had:

tmp1.PNG

And that same information was available in Captivate 5 by clicking File > Project Info.

tmp2.png

Like you, I found the storyboard view useful and I also disagree with its removal. There are a great many things I disagree with in Captivate 5 and 5.5. I personally dislike the whole change and operation of the look and feel. I get lost in the ocean of gray panel after look alike panel. I miss the way things worked in Captivate 4. It still seems easier to use for me than 5 does. But it is what it is and we either learn to use what is there or we stop using it. No?

However, there are a great many users that DO actually like the new interface much better. I can't expect Adobe to create a version just for me. (Although it would be cool if they did!)

I can say that the develpers DO listen to the users. And the Wish Form is precisely the avenue to use because that's what they pay attention to.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources