• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use themes from previous release with new version?

Participant ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I ran the update to bring my Cp2019 up to version 11.5.0.476 last night. I believe I was on 11.0.1.266 before that. I noticed my custom themes were removed, so I have a couple questions around getting the new version set up how I (and my teammates) need.

1. Can I pull in my custom themes from the previous version without issue, or do we need to create them again from scratch?
    • We've been saving themes to the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Layouts\11_0\en_US.
    • I'm hoping I can simply copy those themes into the 11_5\en_US folder, but I wanted to make sure that is not "bad practice" before doing so.
  2. If I created a file in Cp2019 version 11.5.0.476, could someone else on my team open the file and work on it if they have an earlier version of Cp2019 (such as 11.0.1.266)?
    • I know Captivate is not backwards compatible, but I wasn't sure if it was ok as long as we all had Cp2019.

Any info is helpful. One theme in particular has more than 20 Master Slides and more than 50 object styles. I'd hate to have to do all that over from scratch.

Thanks!

Brandon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Themes from previous version can be used directly in the latest upgrade but not vice-versa.

Older Themes will be upgraded to latest version once applied/browsed in latest captivate version.

Regards,

Udaya

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I pointed out several times it is not a good idea to store custom themes in the folder which is used for the default themes. When you install a patch, that Layouts folder will be updated and you'll lose the custom themes. Personally I create a custom theme for each project, and I save it in the same folder as the project. That way, it will never be deleted.

I didn't test yet if there are upgrade issues when using themes from a previous version. There are some changes to the Themes feature, need to explore more in-depth.

Difficult to test if you can open a file created in 11.5 in 11.0 since it is an upgrade. Will test (have still a system with 11.0) it out and revert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have read quite a few of your posts on themes and object styles (it's how I learned anything at all) but both concepts are still new to me and I missed that point about saving themes in that folder.

Background: our team shares a common controlled version of a cptx file (our "template") which is our starting point for training simulations. We created a theme for this file using the previous Cp2019 release. The theme, objects styles, and preferences are also saved in a second location. (Maybe this is working similar to how you say you save themes with your projects instead of the default theme folder?)

I believe I was able to get everything set back up again as needed. The themes seemed to work after moving them into the 11_5\en_US folder, but objects styles and preferences did not import when I tried this. So, I opened the "template" cptx file mentioned above and saved a version in the new Captivate and then exported the prefs so we can save them for the updated version. I'm assuming, since my object styles and prefs did not import effectively, that these two versions of Cp2019 are not compatible. I haven't had the chance to test this with a teammate yet, but if you do find anything out about that I'd be very interested to know. It will be a huge factor in how quickly we need everyone to update.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

The captivate files saved in 11.5.0.476 won't be compatible with 11.0.1.266.

Regards,

Aditya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that you missed that point about not saving in the default Layouts folder. That is the problem with blogs, compared with books. I am sure to have mentioned it, but so easily overlooked.

BTW I am happy that the blogs were of some use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Themes from previous version can be used directly in the latest upgrade but not vice-versa.

Older Themes will be upgraded to latest version once applied/browsed in latest captivate version.

Regards,

Udaya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually having issues applying a theme from an old version of captivate to a new version of captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That's unlikely to work. Each Captivate version makes changes that affect things like Themes. If your old theme is not compatible with the current Cp version, you may find you need to completely rebuild the Theme in the current project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources