Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What makes published SCORM run slowly on LMS

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys.

I use Captivate to create e-Learning and my published SCORM has been uploaded onto LMS successfully but when I have to review it on your LMS. Loading notification always shows and I have to wait for a while for the content to continue playing. My published SCORM is about 1 hour and its size is 192,000 KB with many objects, video media and interaction.

1.What can be the main factor for our published SCORM to run on your LMS not smooth?

2.How can we solve this problem to run it smoother?

Thanks for your all kind recommendations

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that your main issue is going to be insufficient bandwidth.  Either at your end or at the LMS server end.

Have you done a bandwidth test to determine what your download and upload bandwidth is?

https://www.speedtest.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highly appreciated with your response, Rod.

Can you inform me further if there is minimum speed requirement to run SCORM file on LMS without any loading interuption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the SCORM side of things that slows down the playback.  It's your video media that will be the main reason things are bogging down.  Look up the specs on your videos to see what bitrate they are encoded for.  Is it higher than your current bandwidth?

If you're delivering your video as streaming files from a streaming media server (which is unlikely if you are using an LMS) then the video bit rate and quality are automatically adjusted to match the end user's bandwidth. 

But if you are not using streaming video, then your media will likely be set up as progressive download videos, which means that the server has to 'buffer' up enough of the video to start playing, and then after that initial buffering your bandwidth must at least be high enough to continue the download while at the same time playing the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your always kind answer, Rod.

Will follow your instruction and check if I can resize the video file to run on LMS smoother or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you check your ACTUAL download bitrate using a bandwidth testing service like the one I linked to my previous post.  Many people are actually quite surprised to learn how bad their bandwidth is.  Don't believe everything your Internet Service Provider (ISP) tells you.  They usually like to quote bandwidth figures in terms of the upper limit of what you can expect to receive rather than actual bandwidth at times when most people are expecting to do consume content.

The other part of this equation is whether or not your LMS has sufficient bandwidth to be capable of delivering video files to all the people that might be simultaneously consuming your course.

You can think of internet bandwidth as being like the water supply pipe that comes to your home. If everyone in your street happens to be taking a shower at the same time, that's going to reduce your water pressure.  If the Water Company hasn't increased the size of their main pipeline to keep pace with the growing population, then everyone is going to find that their water pressure is gradually getting lower.  The 'water company' in this context represents your LMS Server.  The more end users the LMS is delivering courses to, the bigger bandwidt it needs to service all of their requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources