Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desk moving with Almasol like puppet

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

So I've created my own puppet based off of the Almasol Podcast puppet structure. I matched all of the layers in PSD in the correct hierarchy and the +'s all seem correct.

When I open in CA everything is working except for the desk, it's moving around with the camera input. I've added a fixed point and stick in the body layer of the rigging so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Attached I have some pictures so you may be able to catch whatever it is that I've overlookedshirley sitting puppet.png.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try putting +Desk (make it independent).

At the moment, the Desk is a part of the same mesh as the Head and Body layers. The arms are independent meshes. So I would expect the desk to move with the head and body.

Do you want the desk to move or stay still? If stay still, it needs to be disconnected from the body. You might need to experiment with the “Attach To” settings as well - I think there is a “Free” setting (not near computer just now). That is, the arms you want to move with the body and so should be attached using Hinge or Weld. But I think Free means it won’t move.

Putting the desk in the middle of the puppet like that looks correct - the only way to get the arms in front of the desk and the body behind. I think its just the independence and attach type of the desk you need to fix so it does not move around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply!

So I made the desk independent and used the "Hinge". It's working much better than before and isn't moving around as freely, however, it's scaling big and small now, almost like squishing itself if I move the head. I tried using a fixed point and stick on this layer but still have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I mean, it's stretching and squashing and floating somewhat.

Screenshot 2019-02-26 09.25.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Independent will stop distortion with parent. Hinge will stop twisting, but it will still track parent origin. (E.g. you could move th origin of the desk down near feet and it would probably move less.)

But did you try AttachStyle of “Free” instead of “Hinge”?

But getting bigger and smaller is interesting. I am wondering if its being treated like “head” and you have Head Scale Strength set to some value, so the desk is scaling with the head. To experiment, set the Face behavior Scale Strength value to zero and see if the desk stops changing in size. (The Desk is under the mesh containing the Head layer. If Head was independent, I suspect this would not occur.). You could also try putting a Face behavior on the Desk layer and set all the properties to zero to try and stop the root Face behavior from affecting the desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alrighty, so I tried all of the above with the same results. The "Free" was actually making it worse and made it move as it had been at the beginning with the camera input.

But!! I played with the origin points and put them directly on top of the default point, if that's what you call it, attached I have a picture of what I mean. I had to change that on the Desk and Shirley layer. I also tweaked the face settings slightly and now it's not moving!!

Thanks for all of your help! Now I just need to figure out how to make her neck and not so much her body.

origin wrong.pngorigin fixed.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines