• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting dangle and collision effects to work together.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my issue is that right now I can't seem to get a dragable object to dangle and have physics collisions.

Capture.PNG

Basically I have a dangling ball that needs to collide with a pole in the middle but also needs to be dragable. This doesn't seem to be possible with what I have even though it seems to be kind of working.

The red rectangle I threw in to test physics and it will collide with the pole when it's dragged into it but not the ball. The ball will collide with the red rectangle but not the pole.

I need the ball to have similar behavior to the rectangle at least and I'm not sure how to continue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Not sure if useful, but you can have fun by changing the direction of gravity. I set the ball gravity sideways, so it bounces back to the poll. Bu there is no visible cord. And recording and playback look very different, making editing next to impossible. Oh well! (I was hoping I could hit the ball, then put a cord on there afterwards and drag the two ends to manually keep them connected to the ball and pole. But I think it will be too frustrating.

Scene 2_1.gif

You may have to resort to not using physics - ju

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the ball a part of the same puppet as the pole? Not at a computer - just wondering if a puppet can collide with itself. Also i wonder if the layer hierarchy makes a difference - eg if ball is an independent layer inside pole puppet, do collisions still work? Or are extra tags needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! I think the answer is much simpler. It won't work.

That is, I don't think the physics engine is smart enough to understand dangles.  I created a puppet that was a block, a thin "cord" (a thin rectangle), and a ball at the end. I put a dangle on the ball.

I then placed it in a scene at 45 degrees, causing the "cord" to bend.

For clarity, without the dangle it looks like:

I then dropped a rectangle (collide + dynamic) from the top of the screen on the version with the dangle. It is a bit quick, but the rectangle drops straight down and hits the "cord" as if it was not bent. It lands on top of the ball  which stops it falling to the ground (where it would be without the dangle), and tips over to the side against the cord. (I positioned the rectangle carefully at the start of the scene! 😉

I put a dragger on the rectangle - as I drag it around, you can see it follow the outline of where the cord and ball would have been without the dangle effect.

alanj-02-08-2018-21-05-57.gif

Also, as soon as you drag the object, it sticks to the drag position. Dynamic behavior when you hit record does not get reset, so you start recording but the rectangle looks like it has already fallen (when you play back the recording it does reset, but you cannot tell during recording mode - not very intuitive). I then dragged the rectangle around while recording, which was all recorded and played back. But the rectangle would stick where I left it. I then trimmed the start and end of the take. That caused it to fall based on where I trimmed it to. So I could get a drag to work on a dynamic object - but it was by trimming a longer take recording - doing a simple record was not good enough.

Here is the timeline showwing the trimmed take:

Here is the result after trimming (a different take to the previous video). You can see it fall to the ground based on where I trimmed the take to.

Scene 1.gif

So sorry, I don't think you can combine dangles and collisions. Maybe there is another way to achieve your goal with how it behaves? But it may require some creativity.

But it was very interesting trying! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if useful, but you can have fun by changing the direction of gravity. I set the ball gravity sideways, so it bounces back to the poll. Bu there is no visible cord. And recording and playback look very different, making editing next to impossible. Oh well! (I was hoping I could hit the ball, then put a cord on there afterwards and drag the two ends to manually keep them connected to the ball and pole. But I think it will be too frustrating.

Scene 2_1.gif

You may have to resort to not using physics - just put a dragger on the ball and pretend to make it bounce. The following is not very good, but its just done with manual draggers. Obviously need to get the timing right to make it look like the bat is hitting the ball!!! (hard)

Scene 3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines