• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard Eyegaze now working

Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have developed numerous puppets, but this one has me baffled. I have spent numerous hours comparing my working puppets to this one and I just can not get the eye gaze to work. Assistance is appreciated. Attached are some screen shots which I hope will help.

Thanks, Platty Rigging.PNGBehaviors.PNGEye Gaze.PNG

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a first guess or thing to try - not sure if it will fix it. If you look at the behavior bindings, see how it ends with .../Left Eye/Left Pupil:Left Pupil (there is a colon there) but the pupil range does not? That means it bound to a handle in the layer, not the layer itself. Photoshop might introduce the extra layer (not sure!), but in illustrator that is usually bad. You want ch to move the layer, not the handle in the layer. So if there is a handle on those layers, try to delete them so it binds to the layer name instead (ends in .../Left Eye/Left Pupil).

I also test using the mouse as well - it allows small movements (eg turn off eye snap). I often do that with the yellow mesh on in the scene window. I watch to see if the mesh moves at all - does it twitch etc. Sometimes if gives a hint.

I assume the layers tagged as pupil range is larger than the pupil size tagged layer? Something to check for as well (check the yellow outline)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Alan, I will give it a try in the morning. Have a great New Year.

Another "thank you" on behalf of us newbees for all the assistance you have rendered.

Be well fellow puppeteers - Platty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks.

Here is my solution, and it is a lesson to be learned. Alan, your last paragraph was the key. In the attached image the "Eye Whites" were eliptical in design. Here you see that the red "Pupil Range" is bigger than the Eye Whites which I guess the CH interprets as Pupil Size (?). Anyway, this puppet works.  The other image is the Right Profile which hasn't been changed yet.  You can see that here the Pupil Range size is based on the size of the pupil size and not the Eye White size.

It appears that, in this puppet, the Pupil Range MUST exceed the Eye While (Pupil Size ?) in all dimentions.

Thoughts and/or comments anyone?

Frontal.PNG

Right Profile.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the rule is more the pupil range must exceed the pupil size. Your pupils are bigger than the eye white (it extends a bit above the top) so there was no room to move.

There are two common solutions (and probably lots more).

1. Make the eyeball whites much bigger, round like a real eye. Put it behind the face skin layer. Have a cut out in the face skin so you can see the eye through it. Then the pupil can move the range of the larger eyeball, but you cannot see the larger eyeball. This is mimics the human body.

2. Add an extra "pupil range" layer and make it invisible. This is what I usually do myself. Don't remember if there is a particular reason, I just find a pattern and repeat it. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/ has an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Alan. I will give it a try the next time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines