• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magnets Hinge and Weld - none great (add friction to hinge?)

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a balloon on a string. Dangles turn off the string (created a separate issue for that one). Without dangle the balloon would either sway from side to side with no way to stop it (there was no “friction” setting on the hinge to slow it down), or using weld it would be a firm stick with no dynamic feel to the balloon at all.

I think Hinge would be more useful if there was a friction or damping setting to slowly reduce the swaying effect of “hinge” today. Otherwise hinge is not that useful - things just keep spinning.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
(I later realized the possibly obvious workaround - add a “end of string knot” layer about the rest of the balloon. Make the balloon and string a nested independent layer and put dangle on that (no collision - dangle and collision don’t work together). Put collide on the “knot” layer (I used a circle). So the string attaches to the knot, the knot attaches to the hand. The knot spins around a lot, but using hinge to attach the balloon to the knot means the balloon dangles nicely. I then made the knot invisible so you cannot actually see it. That workaround works pretty well - but I still think adding friction to hinge to slow down the spinning would be helpful.)

Votes

Translate

Translate