• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Walk behavior should work with only one profile

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, if you have Frontal and Right Profile the puppet will not switch from frontal to the profile when you use the arrow key. You have to create Left Profile as well for the flipping from “Frontal” to “Right Profile”. If the right profile is the default (like walkbot), then walking works. So it is not the walk behavior that seems to be the problem, but rather the code to decide to flip from the default profile to the walk direction profile refuses to work without Left and Right profiles both defined (and rigged sensibly).

I think it makes sense to allow Frontal with only one profile. Puppets can walk backwards if the other profile is not defined - and this works pretty well! So allow only one of the two profiles to be defined, allow it to flip from frontal to the side profile, then make it walk forwards/backwards based on which arrow key was pressed.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify (not sure why the above got munged, but I cannot see an edit button), I want to support Frontal + Left Profile (Or Frontal + Right Profile) where the other side profile uses the supplied side profile with the puppet walking backwards. CH already supports backwards walking puppets in walkbot.

(I would also consider adding support for the Frontal tag for consistency. If defined, then one of the tagged profile views is shown and other tagged layers are hidden.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

note to self: this is being tracked as DVACH-1463

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful to have a mirroring option. For now you can rig your character and duplicate it 3 times in CHA. Name one Frontal and the other two Right and Left profile. Then Transform on your opposite profile x scale to -100 and I think I had to swap left and right tags as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe should make it so we can trigger walk cycles from frontal without the need for additional profiles. Advanced characters can swap a couple body parts and be ready for a left or right walk cycle without the need for extra profiles which CA cant handle and drops the bps to 15 or less on more adavanced puppets. 

I'm only trying to appease CA with the optimization as it can't handle walk behavior in most real projects and should be considered a major flaw due to the bottleneck bps it causes.

!!! Just removing walk from my character took it from 12bps to 24bps+ !!!!

As of now, the way CA is coded is the only thing standing in my way of having a walking puppet with limb ik and head turns without sacrificing on layer count and features.

There is also no solution to take 2 puppets in the same pose and "merge" them in the timeline or have them share recorded properties which also makes plan B of having a separate walk puppet also look extremely amateur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate