• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webcam using my own phone (using Droidcam or IP Webcam)

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My webcam is messed up (very blurry because i put on a tape on it before)

I want to suggest if I can use my phone as a webcam. Droidcam is what I use (using USB), I hope Character Animator detects it too although I know that it is not listed in the 'Camera' or 'Imaging devices' in Device Manager.

I am really hoping for this to be added.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Streaming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's something we've considered. Anyone else want this feature? How would you use it beyond replacing a blurry webcam?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, pleeeeazzzzzzzzzz!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might not be a common usage, but MoCap rigs often use a phone in a face rig to capture face expressions while the actor is acting out the movements. VTubers are doing this quite often now - but you need to capture head motion as well. I have been playing with HTC Vive controllers to record a puppet, but I have to stay near desk because I have to stay near camera. As I said, not mainstream, but you asked for use cases beyond just replacing a blurry webcam!

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2015/01/27/oscars-greatest-mistakes-overlooking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I want this feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this functionality. Skype, OBS all can utilize DroidCam / ipcam but not Character Animator...
If you could use multiple ip cameras to animate multiple rigged characters at once that would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a live podcast which i am overlaying a character and i need to have multiple video inputs on 1 PC. so since i don't have an extra webcam i was hoping to use my phone as the camera to capture the face and use my other cam to record. It would be great for CA to connect to a phone in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'd love this purely because I use a Mac mini and don't have a built in camera!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I would definitely use this feature. I’m in a small studio set up using an external monitor and the only WebCam I have is built into my MacBook Pro. So I have to slide over and open my MBP and it’s difficult to see the display. I already have an arm that I can mount my iPhone or even an iPad 2 right in front of my face so this functionality would be ideal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a webcam and this would certainly improve my setup. I tried with https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.949/ to create a Virtual Camera, but Character Animator doesn't show it un Windows 10 64Bit. The OBS Webcam works otherwise well with Zoom, Skype and Meet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also look out for this feature. I tried to make a dslr (canon 550d with newest webcam utilitydriver for windows) which works in obs, skype zoom etc but not in CA. Tried piping it into obs and then virtualcam from obs to CA. Nothing. Tried NDI Virtual input to have this route EOSwebcam -> OBS -> NDI virtual -> CA. All works. Until it hits CA. there is something not right about CAs acceptance for webcams. its truly limited. what works is sparkocam. but its another 60 bucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup me too. No web cam. Phone has an awesome camera but cant find anywhere how to make CA and android phone cam work together. As a novice user that sees so much potential in this software, I would like to see a menu entry that prompts for "webcam or USB cam" or something. Then have it 'just work' like all the other amazing features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This would be really great to have!
I don't have a laptop with a webcam, so it would be really nice to be able to use this with OBS VirtualCams, GoPro Webcam Utility, Canon EOS Webcam Utility, virtual IP Cameras, etc. All of these work fine with Zoom, Google Meet, and most other programs, but it doesn't work with Character Animator, as they are not set up as system webcams.

Votes

Translate

Translate