• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A book on the latest version of ColdFusion

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a book available on the latest version of ColdFusion? Something akin to a learning guide?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a learning guide for cf in general, or for the latest version? I suspect you mean the former--but one that's updated for the latest release. 

To be clear, books on cf are rare. The only "current" one is Modern CFML in 100 Minutes,, from Ortus Solutions. It's available both in print (paid) and online (free).  It's a great general intro to cf, with a focus on more modern practices.

That said, it clearly is not "all there is to know about cf", nor does it focus on "what's new in each cf release".  For those things, look to the cf docs from Adobe. Many only ever find the cfml reference manual, but there are more manuals. Sadly, the Adobe site doesn't always present the fact that there's such additional documentation. It just depends on how you get to a page (as to whether it shows a left nab bar to more docs). 

Even then, there's also no single section of the cf docs that effectively lists for EACH release (and ALL of them) what's new. There IS at least often one page for each new release that then points to more on each change. But there's no one place in the docs that lists ALL those overview pages for each release--which would be useful for those moving to a newer cf version from a much older version.

For that, I'd recommend my "hidden gems" talks that I do for each release, where I DO point out all the available resources for each new release, as well as what's new--and especially little things one could miss. Those are at carehart.org/presentations.

Finally, as for other overview books, including CF Alive, Obect Oriented CF, and others, see my category on cf books in my meta resource, cf411.com.

Hope something in all the above helps you. Others might have still better suggestions. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Online resource: Adobe ColdFusion User Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ColdFusion books are pretty thin on the ground. The language hasn't changed much in a long time, so you can get an older book and it'll still be accurate. But newer CF developers tend to emphasize CFSCRIPT over CFML tags, so you might want to look at a newer book for modern coding conventions. @Charlie Arehart suggested a "Modern CFML" book, I suspect it falls into that category.

https://modern-cfml.ortusbooks.com/

You also want to keep track of the documentation and release notes for new versions, as Adobe occasionally drops a significant change that'll require code updates to existing applications deployed on new or upgraded servers.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation