Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF Scheduler - Repeating a task on exactly the same day of the month

Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(CF2016)

I need to run a task on the schedule on exactly the same day of the each month. I can set the start date this month, and lower down set MONTHLY, but does that mean it will litereally run on the same day of the month each day, it's not clear that will be the case

Thanks.,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023
The answer is to use instead the available cron time feature in defining the scheduled task. It's not new (introduced in cf10) but many have never noticed it or didn't realize its capabilities.

So first, the following would run every month on the 1st, at noon:

0 0 12 1 * ? 

While the cron time is documented a bit by Adobe, there's far more at the site of the scheduling engine which Adobe bundles, especially at http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/documentation/quartz-2.3.0/tutorials/crontrigger.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is to use instead the available cron time feature in defining the scheduled task. It's not new (introduced in cf10) but many have never noticed it or didn't realize its capabilities.

So first, the following would run every month on the 1st, at noon:

0 0 12 1 * ? 

While the cron time is documented a bit by Adobe, there's far more at the site of the scheduling engine which Adobe bundles, especially at http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/documentation/quartz-2.3.0/tutorials/crontrigger.html

Even more helpful is a site showing a) dozens of examples (https://www.freeformatter.com/cron-expression-generator-quartz.html#cronexpressionexamples) and b) above that offering a quartz crontime generator. Sweet. 

Finally, note that quartz crontime does differ from linux/UNIX crontime in having an extra seconds value as the first argument. So be careful finding any old cron time examples. 🙂 

Let us know if this gets you going. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie, that's a massive help, I did notice it but was not familiar with Quartz so ran in the other direction

Using the Quartz generator I was able to create what I wanted, so if I want to run on the 28th of each month, I just add in 

0 0 0 28 * ? *

Just need to give it a month now to see if it works 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help, and yep that would be at midnight, if that's what you want (you hadn't said). And the last arg is optional, which is why my example didn't have it. But yep, cool stuff. Thanks for marking it as the answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, glad you pointed the time out, I was not using the tool correctly, I didn;'t realize I could set the seconds, minutes, hours etc on each tab to build the string up, Now it's right, this should be 1 minute passed midnight on the 28th, so basically as soon as the 27th ends, 1 minute later the task runs

0,28 1 0 28 * ? *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no. That will run twice that day, at 0 and 28 seconds after the given hour and minute. I don't think that's what you meant. Your first one seemed right, being once a month at the given day of the month (and given hour/minute/second). Why did you change it? I merely commented that the last arg was optional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I must have messed up on the generator. I was trying to create one that ran on the 28th of each month, at 1 minute past midnight, this must be it 🙂

0 1 0 28 * ? *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation