Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 10 install won't start

Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial of Coldfusion 10 64 bit for windows and have tried multiple times to open it on my Windows 2008 Server.  When I double click the EXE, the hourglass spins for a few seconds, and then nothing happens.  I've rebooted and the same thing happens.  I have also tried installing the 32-bit version on my windows XP computer and the same thing happens.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Hi,

Can you try the following steps:-

Launch Command prompt as Administrator

Navigate to the installer location and type the name of installer with extension followed by -console and press enter. For eg ColdFusion_10_WWEJ_win64.exe -console

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps, but I extracted the coldfusion installer and tried running the adboe_cf.exe file and get the following error:

----------

LaunchAnywhere Error

Windows error 2 occured while loading the Java VM

----------

I have the latest java installed.  Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try "Run as Administrator" rather than double-clicking.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried that already too.  I have been able to run the install on my Windows 7 computer without issues, so I know what's supposed to happen.  But I've tried running on two different Windows Server 2008 computers and nothing happens.  There must be something needed by the install that's not on these servers.  Really strange.  Any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other suggestions, sorry. I've never had to install it on win2k8, and I am unaware of any intrinsic problem with doing so (nor, it seems, does Google).

In the past I have had the installer file be corrupted during download, and a fresh download has sorted it out. I only ever get this downloading from Adobe, and it's happened more than once.

Maybe download it again.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you try the following steps:-

Launch Command prompt as Administrator

Navigate to the installer location and type the name of installer with extension followed by -console and press enter. For eg ColdFusion_10_WWEJ_win64.exe -console

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anit - you are a genius!  That worked perfectly!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I may have spoken too soon.  The installer started immediately with the -console parameter, however after it extracted -- it disappears and the "java" piece never comes up.  Is there something missing from the OS that would cause the JRE in the coldfusion installer not to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I kept trying it and it came up after the third try.  Not sure why but I'm good to go now. Thanks again everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anit, why would this be necessary?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running windows 2008 server and am having the same issue.

I followed your directions and did the -console trick...

The installer dies after extraction..

anything else I can try... I really need to get this install up...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound crazy - but run the setup from command prompt with -console, as you did - but immediately launch 3 more setups from the command prompt without the -console. They should all be extracting at the same time. In a few minutes you should have at least one wizard, allowing you to install. Close any extra wizards. Let me know if it works for you. I've done this on a few servers and its worked every time. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It Worked!  No idea why, but it did.  Thanks for the tip I would have never stumbled upon it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three months later, this problem is still not solved? I'm surprised, really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works also for cf11 installation on Windows 2003 R2 server !!!

Thanks a lot

Pierre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  We picked up a new copy of CF10 2 days ago and while waiting for the package to get here we went ahead and downloaded the version off the Adobe site.  We are running Windows Server 2008 Standard.  This is not Windows Server 2008 R2.  I've done all of the windows updates and made sure the latest version of Java was installed.  The installer WILL not open.  The only way to force it open is using the -console and then once it hits 100% extracting it disappears and nothing else happens.  I'm very frustrated and I'm about to give up and tell Adobe they can take the CF10 back.  I've never had so many problems with installers than I do with adobe products, especially the new stuff.  I'm tempted to move back to CF MX7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know - this is very frustrating.  What I did (and don't ask me why it worked) was open the command prompt as administrator.  And launched a few installers -- I think I had 3 or 4 running/extracting at the same time -- and I walked away in frustration.  After a few minutes the wizard appeared and I was able to install.  I'll never understand it. It must have something to do with the built-in JRE for the adobe install on windows 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try that.  Thank you Greg.  If it works I will let you know.  I've got another server here with Windows Server 2012 but the installer does not work correctly on that one either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year later and I just had this happen when trying to install CF 11 Trial on a Windows 2008 server (not R2). It would unpack but the installer wouldn't start. Then I did the trick of trying to load from the command prompt. Then I tried launching 4 simultaneous from the command prompt and one of them started the installer. Thanks for the tip everyone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation