• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2023 issues using 'some' css and displaying 'some' image files

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to upgrade to a new computer, meaning everything started over (UGH!!!) I installed CF2023 and have been working through each problem I run into (hat tip to Dave Byers for helping me with SQL connection). Anyway, my most recent issue is that some stylesheets, not all which is perplexing, can't be found. They're in the folders, I've refreshed my cache, I've even re-downloaded files from the live server, but no change. Same with some images. I find ideas for older versions of CF, one talking about how it's IIS, but not being a server person, they're all greek to me. 

Any idea what might be causing this and how I can resolve it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's so much that could explain your challenges...and it would seem this css problem would be unrelated to cf. But it seems you're perhaps overwhelmed and just wanting a solution, so let's see what we may find.  🙂 

Please share first the url you're using for the css that is not found. I don't mean so we can test it--though you should, of course; I mean so we can see how you're requesting the file, which might convey something to us that's not obviously a problem to you.

Second, please share the error you get. 

Often when people move cf apps from one machine to another, there are all kinds of config issues that can trouble them...and of course we can't know what you did or didn't do, what you do or don't know, etc. While you admit to "not being a server person", had you at least been the one to setup how things worked before? Or had someone else done that for you before? 

And what cf version was that? And what OS and web server (if any) were you using before, and which are you using now? It could impact our recommendation of a solution.

Sorry for more questions than answers, but we have to start somewhere in this quest. 🙂 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG...I 'think' I figured out the problem. I'm not totally sure as I have to test everything, but I need to know if there is a setting in either IIS or CF2023 to change what I'm seeing.

So here's my question . . . Is there a seeting in either CF2023 or IIS 10 that controls upper/lowercase?  What I mean by this is, while I was looking through my code, I wondered if the 'case' of a file name made a difference. Now, on the live website , my logo displays fine, but on on my new computer, it shows as if the image wasn't there (but it is). ONe thing I noticed is the file name...the code had it all lowercase, but the file had upper and lowercas letters. For kicks and giggles, I updated the name in my code and viola, it displayed. In 25 years, I've never run in to this. 

Now, with regard to the CSS file, when I attempted to view it in my browser, I got a 404 error. But I also noticed one of the file folders had both upper and lowercase letters in it. When I changed that in the address bar, poof...the stylesheet displayed. Of course, it's still not working on my site even though I made sure the case of the filename was correct.

So again...is there a setting somewhere that controls the case? Sorry if this is rudimentary, but I've never come across this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, this is precisely why I asked to see the url you were using. My guess now is that you'll show having a port of 8500 (or the like), which means you're using cf's built-in web server. THAT web server IS case-sensitive. 

And using that would mean you're putting your site code in the cf wwwroot, such as perhaps coldfusion2023/cfusion/wwwroot. But here's the thing: you don't have to do that, and many if not most cf folks do not. 

Instead they use iis or apache, and put their code there (that web server's webroot), then they connect that to cf with the cf web server configuration tool (wsconfig).

And all this relates to the question I'd asked: was it YOU who setup the old working environment, or someone else? If it was you, is it too long to remember how you did it before?

As Dave kindly mentioned below (but I don't think he'd yet read what I'd written), I can help get all this working for you quickly via a remote screenshare session. We might be done in as little as 15 mins. More on my rates, approach, satisfaction guarantee, online calendar, and more at carehart.org/consulting.

But I appreciate that some can't/won't pay for help, even so briefly. So we're here for you, otherwise. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I will contact you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say the stylesheets and images can't be found, what exactly does that mean? Do they show up if you request those URLs directly, which shouldn't involve CF much? Do you see errors in the browser's developer tools when you go to the network tab?

Also, have you considered hiring a server person for a couple of hours consulting? I think @Charlie Arehart provides that service.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation