• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am new, how I have found CF so far!

New Here ,
May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just finished the 2 lynda.com tutorials series for CF 8 (very well done I would recommend them to new CF users). Once you do them (and practice) you can wizz through most web tutorials you will find. Not to mention Ben Forta's phone books are suddenly easier to read. Th I am still going through Ben's et al books but together they are really helping me learn CF quickly. The community web sites are harder to find but are also proving VERY useful. They are not so many but what there is are very good.

I have to say as I am starting to build my own CF applications now that I find the language VERY WELL suited to the web. I like the easy syntax even though I know more traditional coders prefer traditional syntax. I learned basic programming in traditional syntax, but I did not find it hard at all to pick CF syntax up or was it annoying as I had been told!

At first it did freak me out all these <> things. But you get use to it and it does help to feel more web like, but coming from traditional syntax this <cfcommandhere> is weird at first.

I got the Adobe bug a few years back when I was working mainly with MS technologies.

I started to get into AI, FL and PS and even ID if you can believe it! I also knew the old DW/HTML/CSS/JavaScript set up so I started to wander into front ends and bought a Mac. I just liked it, it was fun. I forgot MS it had been boring and stuffy.

But recently with the economic mess things are in I thought I would get back into some back end again to have a wider skill base. Keep my options open kinda thing.

So I thought well I am using Adobe anyway let's see this ColdFusion rather than go back to MS or turn to PHP/ROR. You have to understand having been in front ends and graphics I have some basics of them all anyway.

I nearly did not as the web is not full of praise at all on the surface for CF. ROR is hyped but I did not like it's feel (framework is good bit CF does it too if you want to). The PHP community was too fragmented into a multitude of Open Source Projects - most of which I would never use. ASP had changed too much for me and I did not own a windows license anymore. I am using OSX and Linux distros of the day.

So I looked up the CF community. I noticed unlike the PHP/ASP/ROR etc you had kinda like father figures here (who help newbies!). So I bought the lynda.com DVD's and Bens books and go to work. 2 months later I am glad I did! I am far from finished but proud to be part of CF and feel eh rather powerful like a web magician now.

CF gives me time to do graphics and not be stuck in code all day long.

I also noticed CF was based on Java and could be scaled up potentially better than the others with Java technologies. It could also integrate with .NET technologies.

I also have to say how impressed I am with ColdFusions hook up to MySQL Server (or any popular DBMS). It was amazing how quick I could get data in and out of a database with CF! If your a database guy and want to do front ends in a browser from your databases you have to try this! I had some pretty complex schema, it did not bother CF at all, it just wrapped the SQL and was like a bridge to the my front end. Much easier than PHP or ASP.

I don't believe you need to make things difficult just because you can, and that is why I like CF if Adobe can make it easy for you they appear to do so. The amount of functions CF has is very impressive. The whole focus of the CF is for rapid web development. It does not mess about it just gets straight to that goal.

The free development license too is amazing. You can learn for free. What is all this CF costs money rubbish I was told before I started. I have found very good shared hosts with great prices and even some using open source CF really cheap. If you need a dedicated machine and can't afford CF then you can't afford a dedicated machine. So that is all rubbish that is spread by other web application server language users. Adobe needs to make new coders know this is rubbish. Some kind of Mac like  adverts would be really cool. Like Mac had a problem with misconception and stereotypes I think CF has an issue there to be resolved for new potential users. I mean I am new and I felt like this. The free academic license is great start.

CF also runs on just about anything did I mention that!

I have been using ColdFusion for only 2 months but I think this is the start of a long term relationship with another Adobe product. I just wish Adobe would clean up some of these bad stereotypes many people have about CF which nearly put me off. If I had not been so hooked on DW,PS,AI,FL,ID etc I would never have tried CF after reading the other communities web sites. It is fine to have an opinion but most of them are wrong that is the problem and have never even used CF. I never found CF coders doing the same in return, they did not comment unless they knew the other languages. That helped me be more confident joining this community.

Anyway just a perspective from a new user! If your thinking of getting into a web application server language I hope this post might help.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dido

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started making web sites in the mid-90's starting with HTML of course, and then I picked up Perl CGI because I needed to process forms. When I needed something to actually make a web application (shopping cart), Perl was just too complex and bloated. I found PHP to be easy, powerful, and free, Coldfusion was still too costly to concider. I used Perl for about a year before PHP, and then used PHP for the next 3 years along with MySQL where I learned SQL syntax also. Then I stumbled upon a "free" version of CF 5 and gave it a go. WOW!!! I was blown away and my development time was cut in half. I used both CF and PHP for a year or two until CFMX came out with components, then I dropped PHP and never looked back. Macromedia did an excellent job of creating a web developers IDE dream world of interconnected tools to handle everything from images to rich internet media production. If it wasn't for CF I'd still be flipping burgers with those PHP guys. Now I'm on the front line in the future of web innovations and making a ton of dough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always exciting to read how someone such as yourself feels about ColdFusion. Sometimes, we as developers forget those first days, months and years learning and grappling with ColdFusion.

Just in case you didn't know about some of these ColdFusion resources, I thought I would point them out to you:

• http://feeds.adobe.com/?categoryName=ColdFusion - you'll find recent posts from ColdFusion blogs that have registered with Adobe
  • http://www.coldfusionbloggers.org/index.cfm - another aggregator of ColdFusion blogs
  • http://cflib.org/ - a great place to find User Defined Functions (UDFs) created by ColdFusion developers
  • http://www.riaforge.org - another great resource of many free, open source ColdFusion projects, etc.
  • http://www.carehart.org/cf411/ - an endless list of several other ColdFusion tools, resources, etc. that will keep you busy for the next several years!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I wish you continued success in your quest for ColdFusion knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of new converts - NetTuts just posted an introductory CF tutorial on their site with a brief intro to Railo and mention of a follow-up Flex/RIA post.  The users of this site (in my opinion) fall somewhere between the developer/designer delineation, so its great to see CF catching on in a new arena (grabbing some PHP share).

If you are not familiar with the Envato family of sites you should be (tuts+ network) - very slick, great tutorials on a variety of web topics (see flashtuts, vectortuts, etc.) and free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have to say as I am starting to build my own CF applications now that I find the language VERY WELL suited to the web.

Good for you. Nice choice. Coldfusion 8 is the winner of the Jolt Award for Web Development in 2007! Some call the Jolt awards the Oscars of the software industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation