Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Hibernate Dialect error against Firebird 2.1.2 DB via JDBC

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion9 ColdFusionBuilder1 on XP Pro

Ok, now I'm completely stuck.  After 2 days of configuring CFB9 (and it's Administrator) I was able to, in CFB connect to a Firebird DB in design time using JDBC instead of ODBC.  However, when I try to Run the project, I have exactly the same problem as when I configured to connect CF to FB via ODBC...and that problem is...

Hibernate is complaining that it needs to know the Dialect of the Firebird database.  Well, it's 3.. but, how do I configure Hibernate so that it knows this value?  I know nothing about Hibernate, nor how to configure it.  I've done a search on my HD for files with the extension *.hbm.xml but no results come up.

If this can be solved, then CF9 can be used on the many hundreds of thousands of Firebird databases that are in use today, and CF's market will grow substantially.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2009 Sep 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Hibernate dialect (ie: for this.ormsettings.dialect) for Firebird is org.hibernate.dialect.FirebirdDialect.  I found that out by googling "hibernate firebird dialect".

I have installed FB, strummed up a datasource in CF and done some testing of CF's Hibernate integration at it all seems fine to me.  My testing was only as extensive as having it create some tables and persisting some object in 'em though.  But if it does that much, I have no reason to think it's doesn't fully work as one would expect.

Not that it matters, but I think you are overestimating the importance of Firebird in the general RDBMS market.  One would never hear it mentioned in the same sentence as Oracle or SQL Server.  Or even MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.  Not that my own experience is authoritative, but in 15 years in the IT industry, I hadn't even heard of it until about a week ago.  But still... that's neither here nor there.  CF/Hibernate supports it already anyhow.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2009 Sep 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help received. I was able to solve the problem and get moving forward on my project.  I have attached a file that can be used by a ColdFusionBuilder/JDBC "beginner" to connect CF9/CFB1 and Hibernate to Firebird 2.1.2 via JDBC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2009 Sep 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool.

That's a good doc, btw.  Thanks for taking the time to do that.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation