• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SQL Server Connection with Windows Authentication

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is considered bad practice to allow other systems and users to connect to a database using the 'sa' login on SQL Server, so the best method would be to use Windows Authentication.... but how?

I have gone to Datasources in CF9 administrator, added a new Datasource, put in the correct server name and database names. I have left the username and password blank as per the instructions on Adobe's CF documentation:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf364104-7fe5.html#WS7E...

It simply will not connect, I get a notice along the lines of "login failed" for the database. If I put in 'SA' as the username and the password it will connect fine.

How can I allow CF to accces my SQL Server database through just Windows Authentication? My CF9 and SQL Server installation are on the same machine on the same hard drive.

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2012 Enterprise.

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the username that used in SQL Admin when you created Windows login the same login that the CF service is using to login?  By default, CF is going to be running under a service account, not a Windows login.

The other approach to not using sa is to create SQL (not Windows) logins in SQL Admin specifically for CF to use, and then specify those in CF Admin when defining the datasources.  If you have multiple CF servers, you might think about having a different login for each one, just to make things a little more obvious when looking at active queries on the SQL server.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reed, thanks for the reply.

Basically I have logged onto the server as the Administrator, installed SQL and CF9. Left everything as default values during installation. I'm a novice at server administration so I don't know what you mean when referring to CF's service account vs a Windows login. There is only one user account on the server which is the Administrator and thats it.

In CF9 I have created a new datasource using Microsoft SQL Server as the connection type. I put in the database name correctly and the server as 127.0.0.1 on 1433. I left everything else blank and it just won't connect - it says login failed. As soon as I put the sa as username and password in, it connects fine.

But I really don't wan't to use any login in SQL Server if I can avoid it and the instructions in the ColdFusion documentation make it seem that it should work with blank values. Is the CF documentation wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, let me say that in the past (pre v9) when I've tried to use Windows logins with datasources, it never worked.  But that doesn't mean that they finally got it working, just that I stopped trying.

What I was referring to in my post is that once you have CF installed, you need to go to the Windows Services screen, open each of the CF processes, click on the LOGIN tab, and change it from the default services login to be whatever WIndows login you have setup in Active Directory.  Then restart CF so that it's process is now running under that login with its credentials.  Then go to SQL Admin and setup that same login and give it access to the database you want to access.  Then go to CF Datasource menu and setup the datasource as you did previously.  If CF's support of Windows authentication for datasources does in fact now work, you should be in business.

If it doesn't work, then you'll need to do as I said earlier, and setup SQL logins for the CF servers to use, and then in the CF Datasource setup screens you would specify that login info in the same way that you would have given it the "sa" login info.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Reed! It worked perfectly, now I have Windows Authentication SQL Server datasources. I wish these instructions could be added to the CF documentation on connecting to SQL Server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Reeed.  I wrote a blog post about this after reading Reed's entry this week.  http://www.cfuser.com/windows-authentication-sql-server-and-coldfusion/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

another way of doing this is using SQL Server JDBC Driver (no need to change windows CF service account).

I have tested this one to be working http://jtds.sourceforge.net/

Microsoft also released SQL Server JDBC Driver which I haven't tried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The URL Stephen offered for his post there no longer works. The new one is:

https://www.stphnwlkr.co/windows-authentication-sql-server-and-coldfusion/

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now even that last url fails to find the post. Here instead is a web archive link to his original pist:

http://web.archive.org/web/20151123073740/http://www.cfuser.com:80/windows-authentication-sql-server...

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation