• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What IP address does CF use to connect to my SQL Server?

New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one CF server that has a range of 20 IP addresses.  Our SQL Server is behind a firewall and we need to give it an IP address to allow access from the CF server to the SQL server.  CF is not picking the first IP or the last, it seems to have just picked one random IP address.

How do we configure or setup ONE IP for CF to use when communicating with our SQL SERVER? 

Please advise on any help & suggestions.

Thank you!

Ernie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using DSN connections, then you determine which IP address the SQL server is using for connections, go into CFAdmin Data Sources, add a DSN using the MS SQL driver, and then edit the DSN connection, giving it the dbname, IP address, port, schema, login and pw for the db server and the schema that you want that DSN to connect to.

If you're not using DSN connections, then you'll have to look that up.  I don't know how to do  DSN-less connections.

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the CF ADMIN > Datasources to add/manage the database.  The IP address that we enter is the IP address of the SQL SERVER (behind the firewall) and it works just fine.  The communication between the CF SERVER and the SQL SERVER work great.  That's not the problem.

The question is:  How does the CF SERVER decide which IP to use to initiate the communication to our SQL SERVER.  For example, our CF SERVER has a range of IP's from .210 - .234.  When we do a packet monitor to see what traffic is going INTO THE SQL SERVER we notice that the CF SERVER is using .232 as the source to talk to our SQL SERVER.  So where do we configure that source IP that CF uses?  The interesting thing is that CF ADMIN is not even using .232 it's another one of the IP's.... so how do we figure out how to modify that source IP that CF picked to communicate with our SQL server?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the windows command line "netsh" SkipAsSource option to skip all the source IPs except the one you want.  I had to use this to get our SMTP service and CF web services to respond on a specific IP address.

http://www.confusedamused.com/notebook/source-ip-address-preference-with-multiple-ips-on-a-nic/

Note the caveat/bug regarding Server 2012:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/08/27/skipassource-flag-cleared-in-windows-2012.aspx

This is also worth a read (adding a static route):

Bind ColdFusion instance to a single IP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't know if this will help, but I did find this SO thread that might be of assistance.

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you running the server on?  If it's windows, it uses the lowest IP address in the TCP stack.

example.  I have a server with an ip of 10.0.10.100 but it has a virtual website of 10.0.10.20 as well as 10.0.10.200

All outbound connections come from 10.0.10.20.  This is a windows thing, not a cold fusion thing.  If I ping another

server from this server, it comes from the .20 address as well.

--Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Evan -

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2.  It does NOT USE the lowest IP address in the TCP stack.  The range assigned to the box is .210 - .234 and for some reason, (based on our packet monitor), CF is using .232

Where would CF 9 pick and/or how do we explicitly assign what IP CF should use when communicating with our SQL SERVER through our firewall?

Ernie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation