• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Witch Version to Use Enterprise or Standard

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit frustrated. I tried to get information on pre-sales and support regarding the different versions of ColdFusion. Unfortunately, no one could give me a answer that satisfies me!
Following situation:
We have a web application that will be external developped with ColdFusion 9.0.1, but operated in-house.
We run an ESX infrastructure and want to virtualize the server. Apparently to do so, the Enterprise version of CF is needed.
Since we do not virtualize the application CF (as with Citrix usual) I do not see why I need to obtain the Enterprise version and and pay $ 6,000 more, just because I do not want to use a dedicated physical server to do so.
Does CF notice that the server it is running on a virtualized server and is not installed on a physical?

Best Regards, René

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

There's nothing to stop you running Standard on a virtual machine, but you can only have one machine running as if it were a standard licence.

Enterprise Licensing for VMs is different, it's licenced per physical host; you can therefore buy one license for the physical ESX box, but then run as many ColdFusion virtual machines on it as you liked without incurring extra costs, as long as the header has no more than 2 physical CPUs.

The fact that the CF machine is virtualised is irrelevant, it's just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing to stop you running Standard on a virtual machine, but you can only have one machine running as if it were a standard licence.

Enterprise Licensing for VMs is different, it's licenced per physical host; you can therefore buy one license for the physical ESX box, but then run as many ColdFusion virtual machines on it as you liked without incurring extra costs, as long as the header has no more than 2 physical CPUs.

The fact that the CF machine is virtualised is irrelevant, it's just that if you're looking to loadbalance or roll out other CF VMs then it quickly becomes cheaper to go for an Enterprise license.

I found this link which explains it quite clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You very mutch! Perfect Answer.

Why Adobe can't write it clearly an understandable to anyone?!

Thx a lot.

Rene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation