• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

You cannot change your default location of "Creative Cloud Files" for sync from desktop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm finding that I am restricted from moving the "Creative Cloud Files" container (for syncing to the cloud from my desktop). It is bound to C:Users/Name and will not move.

This is very saddening and seems like an elementary function that should be included.

I do not want to store things on my small SSD C: drive -- thanks.

Am I missing something here?

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

The location of the Creative Cloud Files folder can be changed to another location in the preferences of the Creative Cloud app as described here: Use the Creative Cloud desktop app to manage your apps and services

Note: This doesn't include libraries, these are not accessible directly, but on stored within the user folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

As per Adobe F.A.Q, I would like to state that :http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

"Your files remain on your local hard drive. You can also choose to take advantage of the ability to synchronize your local files with your Creative Cloud storage. Even if you choose to sync your files to Creative Cloud, you will always have a local copy of your files."

There are some workarounds, it might work out, you can try it : It is for windows

• First, stop the sync and exit the app ( right-click on the Connection icon and click Turn Sync Off, right-click again and choose Exit )
  • Go to “C:\Users\your user name” folder and locate Creative Cloud Files folder
  • Move the folder to a different location ( e.g. “D:\Data\Creative Files” ) and make sure that you move complete Creative Cloud Files folder
  • Run cmd.exe in admin privileges ( type cmd in Start menu, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator )
  • Type following:
    mklink /J “C:\Users\your_user_name\Creative Cloud Folder” “D:\Data\Creative Files”
  • You should receive message that the junction is created ( refer to this guide if you need more help:Complete Guide to Symbolic Links (symlinks) on Windows or Linux )
  • Now to test it BEFORE you turn on the Connection app simply copy something to “D:\Data\Creative Files” folder, than go to Creative Cloud Files folder in your users folder and you should see the file you copied
  • If you are able to see the file, all you have to do is to start the Connection app! Hooray!

This guide should work for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Refered Links:http://notes.darrenseamark.com/post/42451349686/how-to-move-the-default-adobe-creative-cloud-connect...

http://tomaxxi.com/2012/11/move-your-creative-cloud-files-folder/

Please read the disclaimer in detail.

Regards,

Rajshree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this is really cumbersome.

Most users install their CC apps on SSDs that are actually quite small. And like most of CC users I would like to save the rest of my SSD space for the apps to run and not for the files.

Now I'd like to have it separate - my apps installed on SSD and CC Files on a different drive.

Is there any easier way to do it? Like, e.g. in dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Creative Cloud, Click the top right gear icon then select Preferences. Of the two headings General and Creative Cloud, select Creative Cloud. Under the Folder Location, click the down arrow and select the location for your Creative Cloud files. Click select folder and the location is changed.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot

This must be a new feature - I haven't seen it before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That helped a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it has been mentioned, the built in option in the CC app sets the location for the FILES and not the LIBRARIES.

I just recently found the libraries, got all excited, and then noticed my root drive was losing space. This is an absurd limitation of the program. It keeps you from making independent updates by having it installed to your assets folders, and keeps you from really using it if you don't buy huge root drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terry63

This only seems to change the install location for the programs not the location for files.

So although useful in saving hard drive space is not the whole solution.

It seems an odd limitation to me. After all it is possible to move other cloud storage file locations like google drive and dropbox to external hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it works for me. My CC files are now saved in D:/Creative Cloud Files and synching to the cloud. Maybe my instructions missed a step out:

Create a folder called Creative Cloud Files on your prefered drive

Open Creative Cloud panel

Click Creative Cloud gear icon

Preferences

Top heading, Creative Cloud

Sub heading, Files

Folder location, drop down arrow, click change and browse to the drive containg your Creative Cloud Files folder.

All Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Terry63

I missed the 'files' sub heading.

I should just read the whole dialog window.

Cheers

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! The *KEY* step is to select the 'Files' subheading!!

Thanks Terry63

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need more space on my c: drive and i moved all my adobe files to the folder in D:/adobe cc files, is it ok if i delete my folders on c:? please a yes or no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omar,

I'd recommend confirming the Creative Cloud app preferences point to the new location on the D drive and wait until syncing is completed on the D drive. I'd confirm all of the same files exist on both the C and D drives, after syncing has completed you could safely delete the contents from the Creative Cloud Files folder on the C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect my friend! Thank you a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the place to change the files location right away. But, from what I can tell, all of these instructions require the local folder to be named "Creative Cloud Files". So, if I have a TB of photos in a  folder named "D:\Photos" I can't change the "Creative Cloud Files" to point to that folder. When I change the files location to "D:\Photos" it creates a subfolder, thus: "D:\Photos\Creative Cloud Files". I have to copy/move all of those photos into that subfolder in order to sync to the cloud? Then I have to change pointers in Lightroom Classic and other programs to point to that new folder which changes the catalog settings, etc? Is this correct or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 9BillionithScreenName,

There isn't a way to change the sync folder name, only the location of Creative Cloud Files folder. If you have 1 TB of photos on the D drive, and a membership which includes 1TB of storage, and are wanting to work with the photos in Lightroom, you might want to consider Lightroom CC instead of attempting to sync the photos through the Creative Cloud app sync service. Lightroom CC includes its own built in sync service and was designed to work with photos and cloud storage. Lightroom CC Classic is designed to work with photos and catalogs stored locally.

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know my screen name.

I want to use CC and CC Classic at least until CC catches up on features. And, at least seven other photo editiing programs on the same files. I subscribed to a TB of storage and anticipated a straightforward sync process as I have with Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive File Stream. If I properly understand the architecture of those products which I have had for years, a library link name can't be changed, but that library link points to a directory they anticipated would already exist locally. Their setup doesn't add a subdirectory to the existing directory and force you to move everything to that subdirecotry and then change pointers in a bunch of other software when the links are broken. I'm surprised Adobe came along later and didn't follow that same design in that respect.

You did answer my question and have saved me the trouble of looking for an option that doesn't exist and I  appreciate. It's a disappointing answer, but thank you.

Kurt aka 9BillionithScreenName

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been trying and trying to move the Creative Cloud Files from my SSD (running out of space) to my hard drive (lots of space), but the program tells me it is Moving the folder, but then tells me it cannot do it (after ages).  What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do i erased my c:/adobe cc files folder? o no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Is there an equivalent way of achieving the same on MacOS (OSX 10.11.6) ?

I am looking to save the assets I download on a cloud drive (pCloud), which I have the desktop app installed and the directory is directly integrated into Finder, similar to Creative Cloud Files/ Dropbox. 

What are the proper steps needed?

Thanks,

Clement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the location of the directory by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the Creative Cloud window and going to Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out this just changes teh install folder i.e.where the apps go and not where your files go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Terry63!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of the Creative Cloud Files folder can be changed to another location in the preferences of the Creative Cloud app as described here: Use the Creative Cloud desktop app to manage your apps and services

Note: This doesn't include libraries, these are not accessible directly, but on stored within the user folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I cannot seem to access this ''preferences'' page in my creative cloud. I have looked everywhere in the app, and cannot find a place to change the file location. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines