• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kobo won't open library book because eReader was previously deauthorized

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Kobo Glo and I am now getting the following error message "Your eReader is not authorized to open this book. Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to reimport the book using ADE". I have tried reimporting the book, and even returning the book and then reborrowing it before reimporting it to my Kobo. I have tried deauthorizing the reader and then reauthorizing it before reimporting it to my Kobo. Deauthorizing and reauthorizing my Kobo worked a couple of times, but not any longer. I have uninstalled my version of ADE and downloaded and installed the latest version. I have contacted Adobe and they checked my Adobe account and authorizations and was told that I still have unused activations and my authorizations appear to be in order. I can read my books on my MacBook using ADE, and I can even read them using ADE when I click on my Kobo icon in ADE sidebar and open the book. ADE seems to be working as advertised, but my Kobo is not cooperating. I have contacted Kobo as well and they say it's an ADE issue and will not discuss it further. I have not done a factory reset on my Kobo as I don't want to lose all my purchased eBooks. I have checked out a few threads regarding similar issues, but none with my particular error message. Any suggestions are appreciated as I feel I have tried everything, save a Kobo reset, or trashing the Kobo altogether. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Hi,

I spent hours trying to get my Kobo Aura HD to open a library book I borrowed through Overdrive and I can confirm that the issue is with Adobe Digital Editions (in particular v. 4.5) and indirectly with Kobo and Overdrive because none of them care enough to create a long-term solution. I'm running Windows 10. After trying and failing to get a number of the posted solutions to work I stumbled across something that worked for me and my ancient Kobo. I hope these steps will work for others, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found this in another thread and it has solved the .net framework issue for me:

Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel
  1. Press the Windows key Windows on your keyboard, type "Windows Features", and press Enter. The Turn Windows features on or off dialog box appears.
  2. Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) check box, select OK, and reboot your computer if prompted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks finally worked for me after I downgraded my Adobe to 2.0

cant believe how many hours I wasted of my life on something so ridiculous as a software version bug from Adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Been at this for a while and nothing helped until I downloaded an older version of ADE for my acient Kobo Touch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be one of the most frustrating issues. I spent hours over the past couple days trying everything I could think of and all the troubleshooting I could find on the forum. Finally I stumbled across this comment to roll back my Adobe and I followd it to the letter. IT WORKED! I have an "older" Kobo Clara HD but I really don't think these devices should become obsolete so fast, I literally just ditched my iphone 6S that I bought the year it was release so surely a Kobo can outlast that lifespan! I am worried about this announcment of Overdrive being discontinued early this year though and I haven't tested to see if my books will sync wirelessly from Libby again or if I'll have to use adobe going forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying for like 5 times, I did exactly as you said, and it worked! Got my Libby book onto my kobo with no problems!! Thank you so so much! šŸ¤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me on my Kobo Glo! Thanks, I recently had to re-learn how to borrow library material (e-books) after a 6 year hiatus, excellent tuorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on a Kobo Glo HD and I am extremely grateful to you! šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, thanks for the effort, though. 
I guess Kobo rather sells books than have their products used for free library books. So randomly you can't get some books curtesy of some deliberate software glitches. Shame though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is, October 2021, and this STILL worked!!!  I tried everything to get my latest books on my Kobo; the overdrive/libby sync stopped working, and ADE wouldn't transfer the content for me to open.  All this month.  Tried all the tricks - removing books, authorize/deauthorize, plug in, remove, plug in again, etc to no avail.  But THIS really worked!  I did it exactly step by step and now am able to read my library books again!  Kobo is still not syncing from Overdrive...  ALSO, I have a really old Nook my husband uses and always have to do the trick of downloading a really old book (I use the Duke Classics, maybe a copywrite protection thing so the book needs to be old) then side loading that from ADE, then I can get the new library books to open on the Nook.  Seems I have to do that almost every time I add a new book to the Nook.  THANK YOU SO MUCH for this fix!!!  Saved me buying a new ereader - and my Kobo Forma is expensive and only 2 years old!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for my Kobo Aura H2O. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!! This workaround worked for me as well! However, I find it a bit dissapointing that the root of this problem still persists and hadn't been resolved through a software update or something similar..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Ive spent hours and hours researching how to sort this problems, do all manner of unsuccessful things. THIS WORKED!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG you are a gd saint! Thank  you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved my sanity after I couldn't get books from my library (Toronto Public Library) to work on my brand new Kobo Libra H2O.

Thanks for the great tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the beat goes on! I followed your excellent advice which worked for the first, second and third books but not the fourth! Once I've finished my three books, I'll have to do the whole thing again as I did a few weeks ago. Will this problem never go away? I can't remember how long I've had a Kobo for but this happens to me every year or so. Only this time it doesn't seem to be going away. I love my Kobo but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone else because these software issues just never got away and if you're not capable of rummaging around the internet, reading all the forums and applying various fixes, you'd never get it sorted. I have at least one girlfriend who would definitely throw the Kobo in the bin and buy a Kindle. I feel a bit that way myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stopped working for me too! I tried contacting support because it doesn't seem like there's an answer on the forums. They provided some excellent information "I would like to inform you that we do not have any dedicated support for digital edition so you need to raise your query on our forums to get the answer on it."

If only you could download library books to the kindle! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I finally can read those books that wouldn't open before! 

The 2nd time I tried this, I didn't bother to erase authorization and re-authorize.  All I did was get an old book that I knew would work from the library.  Then I dragged both the old book and the new book from ADE to my Kobo (at the same time).  And it worked! 

Maybe this will work for others as well and save a few steps!  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Krista, I'll try this next time. This is what I did last time:

1. Right-click on books in Adobe and Kobo and Remove from library.

2. De-authorise

3. Borrow a fresh book and download. This forces re authorisation.

4. Then download the books you want. 

Let's keep posting about this. I can't believe Kobo expects us to spend $200+ for an eReader with such lousy software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

It happened to me again and I've fixed it but thought I'd post to keep the noise about the issue going. I guess Kobo and Adobe don't care because they don't make any money out of us borrowing books from the library.

Keep posting! Squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm just posting to say it happened again and I followed my own instructions and it worked. Just thought I'd log it in case someone's interested. Seems to be happening to me now about every 3 months. Something to look forward to šŸ˜‰

Keep posting! And tell Kobo you will NOT be recommending their product to anybody because the software's so lousy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to piggyback to agree that this is an issue and needs to be resolved. I could read books fine from the library for about a month - I had previously been a book torrenter so it was exciting to be able to read books from the library instead. Suddenly I got the same error message as you all and have since spent the past couple of hours  de-authorizing and re-authorizing, trying new books, factory resetting my kobo, uninstalling and re-installing ADE (although I wasn't able to download an earlier version for some reason), and trying the same old de-authorize and re with a NEW new book. Nothing has worked.

Thanks for your help Adobe! You're really providing me with an enriching reading experience. Definitely will NOT be recomending the kobo to anyone from now on - and I had previously been so excited about the library feature and was a big supporter until this. Total turn off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Adobe's problem, not Kobo. I have a Kobo reader and Overdrive works perfectly fine, it is *only* ADE that has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krista, I followed my advice and then I followed your advice and yours worked!! 

First: de-authorised ADE, removed books from library in ADE and on Kobo, downloaded new book plus old books, which forces reauthorisation, copied to Kobo. Didn't work.

Then I read your tip again.

Second: removed books from library in Kobo, downloaded new book to ADE, dragged new book and old books from ADE to Kobo ALL AT ONCE - and it worked!

Thanks you Krista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krista,

It just happened AGAIN so I re-read and followed your advice, which worked.

Firstly, I borrowed a couple of books and dragged them to Kobo one at a time. Then I got the usual error.

I deleted the books from Kobo, downloaded a fresh book, and then dragged both books onto the Kobo at the same time. AND it worked. Wonderful.

Cheers... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks This just worked for me. I only hope that I don't have to go through this often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines