• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kobo won't open library book because eReader was previously deauthorized

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Kobo Glo and I am now getting the following error message "Your eReader is not authorized to open this book. Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to reimport the book using ADE". I have tried reimporting the book, and even returning the book and then reborrowing it before reimporting it to my Kobo. I have tried deauthorizing the reader and then reauthorizing it before reimporting it to my Kobo. Deauthorizing and reauthorizing my Kobo worked a couple of times, but not any longer. I have uninstalled my version of ADE and downloaded and installed the latest version. I have contacted Adobe and they checked my Adobe account and authorizations and was told that I still have unused activations and my authorizations appear to be in order. I can read my books on my MacBook using ADE, and I can even read them using ADE when I click on my Kobo icon in ADE sidebar and open the book. ADE seems to be working as advertised, but my Kobo is not cooperating. I have contacted Kobo as well and they say it's an ADE issue and will not discuss it further. I have not done a factory reset on my Kobo as I don't want to lose all my purchased eBooks. I have checked out a few threads regarding similar issues, but none with my particular error message. Any suggestions are appreciated as I feel I have tried everything, save a Kobo reset, or trashing the Kobo altogether. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Hi,

I spent hours trying to get my Kobo Aura HD to open a library book I borrowed through Overdrive and I can confirm that the issue is with Adobe Digital Editions (in particular v. 4.5) and indirectly with Kobo and Overdrive because none of them care enough to create a long-term solution. I'm running Windows 10. After trying and failing to get a number of the posted solutions to work I stumbled across something that worked for me and my ancient Kobo. I hope these steps will work for others, and

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, but was able to solve it using a response from etherworkon this thread:

Digital Editions to kobo

The key to this is to download a completely NEW book. I tried without downloading a NEW book and it didn't work until I did this with a NEW book.

Good luck!

Please note that you don't have to downgrade to get kobo to work again. Maureen outlined how to fix it here:

Re: Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

With the following list, I am paraphrasing Maureen's excellent advice that finally released me from my anguish:

1. Delete the problem book(s) from your ereader.
  2. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Check to see if you can read the problem book(s) in ADE. Connect your e-reader.  Erase authorization on ADE (Go to the Help Menu at the top). Erase the authorization for the ereader (go to the side menu of ADE). Keep the e-reader connected to the computer.
  3. Go to your public library website and get a NEW book. Upload the new book to ADE. Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. If it doesn't, go back to "help" at the top and reauthorize ADE. Go to the side menu of ADE to re-authorize your ereader.
  4. Drag the new book into your e-reader. Select "ereader" (ie: NOT all items, or borrowed items, or...). Try opening the book in the ereader area. If it opens there, it's likely that it will open in your e-reader.
  5. Re-upload what were the problem book(s) to your e-reader. Again, select "ereader" in ADE and check that the book(s) can be read there.
  6. Disconnect your e-reader from the computer. Be able to read your book(s) at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was extremely helpful! Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to my Kobo Glo HD. I have followed the instruction yet the message, "Your eReader is not authorized to open this book. Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to reimport the book using ADE" pops up again. What other ways I can try? I have already tried reset the Kobo to factory setting. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been stuck with this issue for quite a while now and have tried to do everything as explained all over the forum. So basically I combined a couple of the things of everyone and wrote down what I did that helped me in what I believe are clear words. I had to make these guidelines for my wife anyway so I might as well post them here. If you miss a step, it likely won't work so follow the guidelines carefully. I hope it helps.

1. Delete the problem book(s) from your E-reader.
  2. Connect your e-reader to the computer and keep it connected until step 8.
  3. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer
    1. Delete the problem book(s) in ADE. (really delete, you’ll have to redownload it with the “.acsm” file from the public library websites later)
    2. Erase authorization on ADE (Go to the Help Menu at the top).
    3. Erase the authorization for the E-reader (Go to the side menu of ADE).
  4. Go to your public library website and get a NEW book (it has to be a New one!).
    1. Upload the new book to ADE.
    2. Adobe should prompt you for the authorization. If it doesn't, reauthorize ADE by going to "help" at the top.
  5. Re-authorize your E-reader. By going to the side menu of ADE
  6. Import the new book into your e-reader by right-clicking it and copying it to the E-reader.
  7. Select " E-reader" and try opening it there (ie: NOT via the directories “all items”, or “borrowed items”, or...).
    1. Try opening the book in the E-reader area. If it opens there, it's likely that it will open in your e-reader.
  8. Re-upload what were the problem book(s) to your e-reader.
    1. Again, select " E-reader" in ADE and check that the book(s) can be read there.
  9. Disconnect your e-reader from the computer. Be able to read your book(s) at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this did not work for my Kobo Aura H2O (1st edition). Thanks for trying though. Problem is, the books automatically open in the computer before I can open them in ereader area of ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Kobo, Same issue.  In the past few months I've tried the above and it eventually worked.  This time NOTHING works.    ANy news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Kobo Aura H2O(n250)  WITH ADE 4.5.11 installed on computer. Can open library books borrowed from Library but cannot open them in Aura H2O(N250). 

I get the message "Your eReader is not authorized to open this book [and] is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM). Because you previously deauthorized your eReader, you need to re-import the book using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)". 

i have tried de authorize and authorize with adobe id, overdrive id nothing worked. The book appears as "black" logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"SOLVED" - Uninstalled  ADE 4.5.11 installed the old version of ade 2.0 , REAUTHORIZED computer, Kobo Aura H2O(n250) now i can borrow books from library and copy them to N250 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do u get ADE 2.0 as I  can't see it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn’t get 2.0, I think it’s gone I rolled back to the lowest one I saw
which was 3.something. It still worked for me. --
Stephanie Sochan
*sent from iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOODNESS IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! i have spent hours on this! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in just to say that THIS WORKED. I have struggled with this issue since getting my Kobo, and this is the ONLY suggestion that worked, even after troubleshooting with Kobo help staff for over an hour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for this. have been stuck on this issue forever. this is the only thing that has worked. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many thanks. I had tried re-authorizing, deleting, reloading, but not in your exact order so thanks again. It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too. This has been frustrating me for so long, it's terrific to have this workaround. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you the great instructions. I tried this a unfortunately did not work. I ended up removing ADE 4.5 and installed the old version of 2.0, got myself reauthorized and was good to go. Everything worked perfectly for my Kobo. My advice don't upgrade your ADE. Everytime I have tried to do that I have had nothing but problems. Link for older version Adobe Digital Editions downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes @erinj2824952, downgrading Adobe Digital Editions to version 2.0.1 from your link is what finally got it working on my Kobo Glo HD, model N437. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say THANK YOU! I tried everything else, and installing an older version of ADE is the only thing that has made it finally work for my Kobo Sage. You just saved the last bit of my sanity. I hope it's not a fluke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 2022, this is the ONLY thing that worked for me! Thanks for the link to old ADE version, SUPER HELPFUL!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you guys download the 2.0 version? I'm not seeing it anywhere on this page that's linked. Please help! ThanksScreen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.00.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

Adobe only has ADE 4.511 and 3.0 on this page. I was using 3.0 then had problems with ADE opening/getting  the library ebook I borrowed from Overdrive. Then I used 4.511 with some success but the authorization problem started. Being able to open the borrowed ebook via ADE on the computer and kobo (via ADE) doesn't necessarily mean that when kobo is unplugged from the computer, kobo will be able to open said ebook. That's what has been happening to me before I found this forum. I tried to go back to ADE 3.0 but it won't worked on my Windows 7 anymore. It keeps crashing.

https://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

This is where I found 2.0. I de-authorized both computer and kobo. Downloaded again from the library the problem ebook. Before download started, I was prompted to authorize my computer. Re-authorized kobo. It worked! Kobo can open a borrowed library ebook without being plugged in to the computer.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I spent hours trying to get my Kobo Aura HD to open a library book I borrowed through Overdrive and I can confirm that the issue is with Adobe Digital Editions (in particular v. 4.5) and indirectly with Kobo and Overdrive because none of them care enough to create a long-term solution. I'm running Windows 10. After trying and failing to get a number of the posted solutions to work I stumbled across something that worked for me and my ancient Kobo. I hope these steps will work for others, and will assume anyone trying them has a basic understanding of how to authorize/deauthorize and install/uninstall on both Windows OS and the Kobo.

To start, the Kobo should not be connected to your computer.

1) Delete the books that you can't open off your Kobo.

2) Via Settings on Kobo:

2a) Ensure your date and time are correct on your Kobo and you have wifi turned on.

2b) Open Accounts and deauthorize your Kobo from the Adobe account.

3) Delete the books you downloaded from your computer. You can do this within the Adobe Digital Editions app on your computer by hovering over the book with your cursor and right clicking then selecting "Remove from Library". Also delete the .acsm file from the Downloads folder.

4) This step probably doesn't matter, but it doesn't hurt either. With the ADE app open, press Ctrl + Shift + D. A window pops up with Erase Computer Authorization. Go ahead and Erase Authorization.

5) Uninstall ADE version 4.5 from your computer.

6) Go to this third-party website and download version 3.0 of ADE. https://adobe-digital-editions.software.informer.com/3.0/

7) Install ADE version 3.0 on your computer and login using your Adobe account and password.

8) Within the ADE app, authorize your computer under the Help menu or by pressing Ctrl + Shift + U.

9) Open a web browser, go to your Overdrive library page, go to Loans, redownload the book you originally had trouble with.

10) Once downloaded, double click on the .acsm file and it will open in ADE version 3.0. Close the book by returning to ADE's main Library page.

11) Connect your Kobo to your computer. It will appear on the left panel of ADE.

12) Drag and drop the book from your open Bookshelves folder onto the Kobo.

13) Eject your Kobo from your computer and wait until Kobo updates content before unplugging the USB cable.

14) Open the book on your Kobo and enjoy.

As I said, this solution may not work for everyone but it did work for me on my old school Kobo Aura HD. I really hope it helps and prevents someone from using their Kobo as a Frisbee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this fix! I have been fighting with my Libra H2O for HOURS now, and nothing worked. This worked like a charm! I guess Version 4.5 is not compatible with the H2O. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got as far as step 7, and cannot install DE 3.0  due to the requirement for microsoft .net framework 3.5, which as far as I've been able to find, is not compatible with windows 10. Is there a work around for this?image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines