• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mac computer - acsm ticket won't work in ADE - tried everything - can you please help me?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac OSX10.7 apple computer.   If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I have already tried many avenues to find the answer.  My acsm ticket will not open my ebook in Adobe Digital Edition.  I have an adobe id, have downloaded adobe digital edition, my computer is authorized with the right email address, same one as the adobe id.  Then I downloaded an ebook from a public library.  The acsm ticket shows up in my computer's Downloads.  The ADE is in the Applications folder. 

When I double click on the acsm ticket in the computer downloads folder, it opens up the ADE app, but nothing happens from there (the ebook does not appear in the ADE,  nor does the ACSM ticket appear). Even if I open the ADE, click  "add item to library", I can find the computer Downloads folder, but the acsm download is greyed out, so I cannot choose it and click on it.  This is the problem.  I cannot figure out why? 

My computer does not have the firewall enabled (I have checked this in my system preferences).  I have adobe flash installed according to my system preferences also. 

An Adobe tech confirmed that the ADE was working because I can open an EPUB sample book from a website that is not using an acsm ticket.  Anyone with some helpful information?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Just got these instructions from my librarian...and they worked for me.  Just added the five books Icouldn't get before

I have Mac 10.6.8 and use Firefox for browser.

Create a backup of the original 'restore' folder

Close ADE if it's open.

Go to Documents > My Digital Editions. Rename the restore folder to restore.old.

Note: 'Documents' may be named 'My Documents'.

Download a fresh copy of the title.

Open (or run) the newly downloaded eBook (which is an ACSM file).

When you open the file, ADE will pop u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I don't have a solution, but chiming into say I have the exact same problem as described in bunlady2012's original post. In mid-November I switched from an older Dell PC running XP to an iMac with the latest operating system. I can still successfully download library books using the Dell, then connecting my iPad and downloading the ebooks on it via iTunes, but the ebooks will not open in ADE on the iMac. I'd like to get the Dell off my desk sooner rather than later, but I'm finding several things that I still need it for until I can figure out all the quirks of the iMac first - successfully downloading ebooks being one of them!!! I also would appreciate receiving resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.  It has to be this new mac system is the problem.  I have also gone to my old computer (which is also in the way), and got it to put the ebook onto the kobo.  Not sure how much longer the old computer is going to keep functioning however.  It would be great to get the mac to do the work.  If I find out the solution, I will post here, and hope you do also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again - If I find a solution I'll certainly share it here! Right now I'm not feeling optimistic as I just got off the phone from talking to an Apple Care rep who said it isn't an Apple problem and has to be with the software developer. He didn't know what a acsm file was and wasn't about to try to find out. Unfortunately I'm beginning to regret my iMac purchase. I've had to talk to Apple Care a few times now about one thing or another and they have NEVER solved one issue. It's almost like being held hostage by Apple - if it's not made by them you are on your own. Sorry for the vent. I hope Adobe is able to come up with the solution. Like you my PC isn't long for this world and I really do enjoy reading books on my iPad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as you all and I am wishing I brought a window computer for Christmas instead of a apple. I was able to download overdrive media on my phone and can read the books from the library on it but the print is so small, but I guess it is better then not at all.The books worked fine on my old computer, Hoping someone comes up with a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 and a Kobo Touch ereader. When I borrow a book from the library ADE automatically opens and I can see the book in the Library view. I then close ADE down, plug in the Kobo, wait til it has time to connect to the computer, then open ADE up again and the Kobo shows up at the bottom of my Bookshelves at the left of the screen. There is an option to not have the Bookshelves show and if you don't have it show, you might not see your ereader device. I then just drag the book I want onto the device and it is done. I don't worry about the ACSM file or where it might be on the computer, I just work with the ADE interface.

If the ebook won't even show up in ADE, then I wonder if it is a problem with the ebook itself and not a software or hardware problem. Does it only happen with one book or with them all?

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with all public library ebooks with use the acsm format to open in ADE.  If I download a free book (example from KOBO) then I have no trouble in transferring it to the ereader.  I have tried the process you describe many, many times.  I can see the kobo reader at the bottom of the list.  But the ebook never will appear anywhere in the ADE, even if I double click it in my downloads folder, or try to bring it in from the ADE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two suggestions. I work in a library:

This is sometimes a problem with Safari and ADE not opening the acsm file. Can you try downloading another internet browser like Mozilla Firefox and trying the download process from your library again, with a new eBook and see if that works?

OR

This is a clunky solution, but it does work for some people: download the sony reader library software: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and try to use that to open (unlock the .acsm) the epub eBook. It works just like ADE. Once you have the epub eBook open, you should be able to open ADE and use the menu item "add item to library" and transfer the unlocked epub eBook from sony to ADE for transfer to your kobo reader. It's not a pretty solution, but worth a try. Again - try a brand new library eBook with this in case there's a problem with the book you've been using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem as AZ, the sony reader worked for me, so i don't use the Adobe DE anymore..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikke,

I was wondering if you don't need to use ADE, and only need the Sony Reader app, is your ereader a Sony ereader?  Otherwise, I don't know how you would transfer the book to another brand unless you also use the ADE.  Do you mind explaining?  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you readertesters for this suggestion.  Finally, a solution to the problem, even if it is a round about way.  At least I can use my Lion OSX10.7.2 computer to do it.  So I'll give you the step by step to make it really easy: 

Download Adobe Digital Edition.  Get an account - this is important.  And I do believe it should be done from the computer you plan to download the ebooks from. 

Download Sony Reader app. http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/    (Even though my ereader is a KOBO, I can use this Sony Reader Program.  So why didn't KOBO come up with a solution?  Makes me think a Sony Reader would make it so easy. Kindles are no good for us in Canada if we want to get ebooks from Public Libraries because Kindle is only good for United States libraries). 

Go to your public library site, download an ebook in EPUB form or PDF format. You will see a quick download.  It is an acsm ticket.

On your computer, open "Finder".

Click on "Downloads" on left side.

On the right, find the name of the newly downloaded book and right click on it, and make sure the default program to open it will be "Sony Reader".  If not, then choose Sony Reader as the default.

The Sony Reader program will open up, and the book will load.  You will just see the cover of the book.  DO NOT OPEN THE BOOK AND VIEW PAGES.  THEN IT PROBABLY WILL NOT TRANSFER TO YOUR EREADER! 

Turn on your ereader.  Connect it to your computer.  When ereader asks if you want to connect, click connect.

On computer, open "Finder" and click on "Applications" on left, double click on Adobe Digital Edition program to open it.

In your ADE, at the top, go to "Library", and click "add to Library".

You must find where the book is now located on your computer:  click on "Documents" on left side in Finder,    then  "My Books",    and under "Reader" you will find the name of the ebook with a Sony Reader icon beside it.  That is the opened file so click on the name of the downloaded ebook.  It will appear on the right hand side.  Click on it to highlight it - drag and drop it to your "Kobo" or other ereader device name on the left hand side (all within Adobe Digital Edition).  Wait a few seconds for it to transfer. 

Eject your ereader by clicking on the arrow beside your device name (left hand side within ADE). 

Now unplug your ereader, power on, and wait for it to load on ereader device.  That should be it.  Thanks everyone for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone with an IMAC 0SX10.7 able to get their computer to put public library ebooks onto an ereader?  Just wondering if this problem is specific to this operating system only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, everyone with an IMAC OSX10.7.2, this is why your ADE won't get some of your ebooks onto your ereader :  There is no compatable Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) for the newest Lion 10.7.2 computer right now (January 2012).  I just spoke to an advanced technician for Adobe, and he informed me that unfortunately it will not function properly with this version.  If you go to the Adobe.com website, and go to adobe digital edition, and on the far right side, click on system requirements, you will see the following info.  And take note that Mac 10.7.2 is not on the list.  The technician said they are working on one.  So in the meantime, all we can do is watch for an updated Adobe Digital Edition that would include our system, by keep checking on their website under system requirements.  If you have an Adobe ID, you may receive notification that there is an updated version of ADE.  No confirmation on that really.  So now we know why we all spent time going in circles (for myself, over 2 weeks of wasted time).  Hope that helps all of you.  And hopefully Adobe gets to work on this in the near future, and that all their technicians give the correct information.  Maybe if we all send a complaint message to Adobe that we need a compatible ADE right away, maybe that might help. 

Good luck

bunlady2012 wrote:

I have a Mac OSX10.7 apple computer.   If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I have already tried many avenues to find the answer.  My acsm ticket will not open my ebook in Adobe Digital Edition.  I have an adobe id, have downloaded adobe digital edition, my computer is authorized with the right email address, same one as the adobe id.  Then I downloaded an ebook from a public library.  The acsm ticket shows up in my computer's Downloads.  The ADE is in the Applications folder. 

When I double click on the acsm ticket in the computer downloads folder, it opens up the ADE app, but nothing happens from there (the ebook does not appear in the ADE,  nor does the ACSM ticket appear). Even if I open the ADE, click  "add item to library", I can find the computer Downloads folder, but the acsm download is greyed out, so I cannot choose it and click on it.  This is the problem.  I cannot figure out why? 

My computer does not have the firewall enabled (I have checked this in my system preferences).  I have adobe flash installed according to my system preferences also. 

An Adobe tech confirmed that the ADE was working because I can open an EPUB sample book from a website that is not using an acsm ticket.  Anyone with some helpful information?

everyone in this forum. 

The minimum system requirements for Adobe® Digital Editions are as follows.

WINDOWS

• Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) Windows Vista® (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Intel® Pentium® 500MHz processor
  • 128MB of RAM
  • 800x600 monitor resolution

MAC

PowerPC

• Mac OS X v10.4.10 or v10.5
  • PowerPC® G4 or G5 500MHz processor
  • 128MB of RAM

Intel®

• Mac OS X v10.4.10, v10.5 or v10.6
  • 500MHz processor
  • 128MB of RAM

SUPPORTED BROWSERS AND ADOBE FLASH VERSIONS

Windows

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox 3, Google Chrome for Windows
  • Adobe Flash® Player 9 or 10

Mac

• Apple Safari 4, Mozilla Firefox 3
  • Adobe Flash® Player 9 or 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...intersting because I suspect that I am having the same problem with my OS 10.6.8  Snow Leopard. I have tried Adobe's suggestion of deleting the Macromedia bin file from System Preferences and no luck. As much as I love my Mac, I am suspecting; then, this is a  Mac issue more than Adobe.

I am off to  try the Sony workaround.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using 10.6.8 and had the same problem so it's not just a 10.7.3 problem.  The Sony workaround finally worked but it just doesn't feel right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe needs to update their application to help all the frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not necessarily Adobe's problem. Lion introduced a number of changes

from Snow Leopard, and a couple of them affect programs like (and

including) ADE. Adobe can't do anything about those changes.....

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the updated info bunlady2012! I did read the specs sheet, but not until after I'd already downloaded ADE. I KNOW I read some where else prior to that though that there was an upgrade of ADE to include Lion 10.7, but of course I can't locate that same information now. I sure hope Adobe figures out a fix soon as I don't know how much longer the Dell is going to last and as of now the local library requires ADE for any ebook downloads. At least now I/we can stop running in circles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marilyngg, please read my latest post.  We can use our computers at last to load ebooks from public libraries, thanks to some ideas given within this forum.  Let me know how you do with yours after trying again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the mouse over the file name and right click. When it comes up with "Open With", select Digital Editions.

That solved my first problem - getting the file opened in ADE.

My next problem was transferring the file to the NOOK COLOR -- I finally reset the nook and now it works.  I went to Settings, Device Info, Erase and Deregister Device. I erased and deregistered the nook. When that was completed, I connected it to the computer and started ADE. It found the nook and I was able to pull the files over to the nook . . .  and they transferred!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bunlady2012. Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately this method still doesn't work for me. Or, to be more specific, I was able to download the Sony EReader onto my iMac and I was also able to get a book from the library to download and be opened within Adobe using the method described above. What I cannot do now is get the book onto my iPad which was the entire purpose behind my initial posts.

Unfortunately I have to sync any books I want to read on the iPad via iTunes, and as best as I can determine (haven't spent a lot of time looking since I read your post tonight though), is that Apple is no longer allowing Sony ereader apps because it wants sole control (?).  I could well stand corrected though, and if anyone can point me to the approved iTunes download for the Sony eReader for iPads I'd be much obliged. Right now I have to download the ebooks to ADE (app required by the library for ebook downloads) then sync them via iTunes to a Blue Fire Reader. I can see the book when I try to sync, but it will not open within Blue Fire and as I don't have the Sony app on the iPad ......................... it's been a no go.

The local library specifies books for Apple products i.e. iPad's "is more complicated than for standard eReaders", and as much as I love my iPad this process has proven even more extremely frustrating since moving from the PC to the iMac! Who knew?! Anything PC and iPad was always more complicated for me pre iMac and Lion 10.7.2.   My sincere hope is that Adobe comes up with an upgrade to ADE very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marilyngg,

Sorry to hear that didn't help you.  I know you are feeling frustrated as I was.  Now I love my ereader, but was ready to take it back to the store after many weeks of frustration.  I was just talking to someone who has an ipad and a mac computer, and he said he used the "overdrive console" to do the transferHave you tried that?  Any more suggestions from the forum?  Hoping we can help you... You may want to enter your problem as a new topic in the forum to get some new results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all of the MAC users. I had a similar situation trying to download some textbooks today. Maybe this helps.

1) I am a Lion user. 10.7.3.

2) I downloaded the Sony Reader App to purchase some textbooks and library books for school.

3) I own a first gen iPad (not sure if having an iPad 2 makes a diff)

4) I downloaded the APP "Bluefire Reader" which is amazing at reading a wide host of eBook formats, and more importantly the DRM restricted Adobe books.

5) Make sure to authorize Bluefire with your Adobe ID.

Here's where I had the problem. My purchases in Sony Reader were not automatically showing up in ADE which I downloaded after the Reader. After some research I found that the .acsm file is not "needed" to view books on an iPad.To solve that:

6) Click Add to Library in ADE.

Typically you would use the .acsm files here but the files I needed were under ... My Documents/ My Books/Reader ... and SHAZAM.

7) These books show up in ADE.

To get to your iPad:

8) Go to the App section of the Sync. Scroll to the bottom and click the "Bluefire Reader" app.

9) Click "Add" in the lower right corner and use the same file path as earlier. My Documents/ My Books/Reader ... and SHAZAM.

10) Sync if necessary. My iPad automatically was downloading my books. And I am currently enjoying my textbooks on my iPad.

For library books I would contend that maybe a new folder is created under the My Books folder or Documents. I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I followed your advice to use the Sony Reader and it worked.  I do believe this is a Mac issue.  My books were downloading to ADE.  I did a software update and the problem transferring to ADE started.  But, thanks to you, after many frustrating hours, my books are on my Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines