• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mac computer - acsm ticket won't work in ADE - tried everything - can you please help me?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac OSX10.7 apple computer.   If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I have already tried many avenues to find the answer.  My acsm ticket will not open my ebook in Adobe Digital Edition.  I have an adobe id, have downloaded adobe digital edition, my computer is authorized with the right email address, same one as the adobe id.  Then I downloaded an ebook from a public library.  The acsm ticket shows up in my computer's Downloads.  The ADE is in the Applications folder. 

When I double click on the acsm ticket in the computer downloads folder, it opens up the ADE app, but nothing happens from there (the ebook does not appear in the ADE,  nor does the ACSM ticket appear). Even if I open the ADE, click  "add item to library", I can find the computer Downloads folder, but the acsm download is greyed out, so I cannot choose it and click on it.  This is the problem.  I cannot figure out why? 

My computer does not have the firewall enabled (I have checked this in my system preferences).  I have adobe flash installed according to my system preferences also. 

An Adobe tech confirmed that the ADE was working because I can open an EPUB sample book from a website that is not using an acsm ticket.  Anyone with some helpful information?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Just got these instructions from my librarian...and they worked for me.  Just added the five books Icouldn't get before

I have Mac 10.6.8 and use Firefox for browser.

Create a backup of the original 'restore' folder

Close ADE if it's open.

Go to Documents > My Digital Editions. Rename the restore folder to restore.old.

Note: 'Documents' may be named 'My Documents'.

Download a fresh copy of the title.

Open (or run) the newly downloaded eBook (which is an ACSM file).

When you open the file, ADE will pop u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.  Someone had given me some helpful suggestions in another forum.  But only after I had spent literally a month trying to figure it out.  So I am happy to share this info with everyone else.  I am thankful for forums. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have OS X 10.6.8 and have just started having this problem. I am now using the Sony reader and getting the books downloaded. I can read them with that or with ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred, the problem is Apple's, not Adobe's.

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that Frustrated and this is not the first time I've had a problem after an undate on my computer. The last time it was with a game site but somehow they got that worked out after I called tech support and mention that along with the other problem I was having (it took them a good 8 months). All I'm saying is that on such occasions try  to find a work-around until the developers figure out what the conflict is, solve the problem, and send out a new up date with the fix in it. Be patient ... computer science is still young and there are still quite a few bugs to work out. There always will be bugs ... nothing is perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ease up, Fred. I've been dealing with these issues for over 40 years.

=============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have I, Frustrated. Have you ever tried to program in Fortran?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the application FINDER. Find the .ascm file and select it. Then right

click and a selection box comes up - select "open with Adobe Digital

Editions.app" -- The program should open and your file should appear.

Sharon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is fortran?

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ bunlady: Fortran is an ancient computer language used to program Univac computers using punchcards.
This was way back in the 1970. After that came Basic which is a computer language the builds on the fortran language and much easier to use. Then came Pascal and Trubo Pascal and now they are using compert languages like C+ and C++, but it all started with fortran. I got as far as learning to program in Basic and I did learn a bit of Pascal but the rest of them are over my head. I wasn't that interested in programing though I have kept up on some of what the new programers are doing. You can learn more at this link: http://groups.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/fortran/fortran.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Assembler and octal at the low level, FORTRAN, COBOL, PL/1, RPG/RPGII

and Transaction Generator at the high level. I don't program in the BASIC

or 'C' series, though. I was promoted to 'management' before they were

widespread.

===============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got these instructions from my librarian...and they worked for me.  Just added the five books Icouldn't get before

I have Mac 10.6.8 and use Firefox for browser.

Create a backup of the original 'restore' folder

Close ADE if it's open.

Go to Documents > My Digital Editions. Rename the restore folder to restore.old.

Note: 'Documents' may be named 'My Documents'.

Download a fresh copy of the title.

Open (or run) the newly downloaded eBook (which is an ACSM file).

When you open the file, ADE will pop up and load the eBook you selected.

Hope this helps the rest of you.  What a relief.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this did the trick! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could be of help.  So annoying when you can't get the ebooks you want to read.  Have fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to return the library books using Sony Reader and then deleted

them from ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I don't think you can return them when youve used the workaround. I've tried too in ade.

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines