• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oops! This document couldn't be opened.

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very frustrated with Adobe Digital Editions at this time.  When trying to read a book from my library on my ereader (Kobo Glo) I continue to get the message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened.  This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID.  Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again."

I have followed all of the instructions and I have even reinstalled the app onto my computer.  When I check the authorization it is attached to my library card.  Can someone please help me.  I have several books checked out at this time and cannot read them on my ereader.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually got some relief! I read on one of the forums that if I borrowed another book and downloaded it if the one that didn't work, the problem could be solved and it actually was. Very strange, but if this has happened to you with several books, might not work. I also saw a mention of the change to daylight savings time having an impact...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, and I am happy this worked for you.  Unfortunately, I have tried doing exactly that on 3 different books, and my results are always the same old Oops!  The DST causes me to wonder how it could affect the opening of books in Kobo...I am at a loss.  I may go back to actual library visits for a while - at least we know that will work.  This whole thing has caused far too much grief and time for far too many people.

To: Martin Kosky <smartinup2003@yahoo.ca>

Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:17 AM

Subject: Oops!  This document couldn't be opened.

Oops!  This document couldn't be opened.

created by nathaliep38668710 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionActually got some relief! I read on one of the forums that if I borrowed another book and downloaded it if the one that didn't work, the problem could be solved and it actually was. Very strange, but if this has happened to you with several books, might not work. I also saw a mention of the change to daylight savings time having an impact... If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400142#9400142 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400142#9400142 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had written to my library and they had suggested resetting my Adobe ID. Have you tried that? This whole issue is a giant pain, but I'm not sure who to blame, kobo or Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did change my adobe ID, for I have been grasping at whatever straws have been proffered.  No luck at all.  My library books read just fine on ADE, just not Kobo (where I suspicion the problem lies) but I have had my fill of this.  Going back to the old actual library books for a while, until perhaps I see a fix has been reached, or maybe that a different type of e reader may work.  I am beyond choking at this point.  Sort of like Einstein's explanation of insanity, whereby we do the same things over and over while hoping for different results.  Hah!

Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2017 3:37 PM

created by nathaliep38668710 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI had written to my library and they had suggested resetting my Adobe ID. Have you tried that? This whole issue is a giant pain, but I'm not sure who to blame, kobo or Adobe... If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400407#9400407 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400407#9400407 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so frustrated. NOTHING works. Adobe is silent and nothing in the forum has worked. Deleting everything and a factory reset on the Kobo still Oops! Kobo said it is an Adobe problem, or a library issue. The 2 librarys I called have never heard of this problem. I looked at overdrive since they are now owned by Kobo and there is no mention of this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are quite right in that nothing from the forums has worked and the advice from Kobo is not much better than telling us to use the forum.  I know I do not wish to read my library books on my desktop, so I am likely going to borrow actual books again, for life is too short to put up with the hassle.  Although I have used my Kobo touch for two years and liked using it, it may well be slated for the garbage, Jackie.  If a fix should appear I am willing to try, but for the now, I have reached my limits.

Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:13 PM

created by jackieg31291561 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI am so frustrated. NOTHING works. Adobe is silent and nothing in the forum has worked. Deleting everything and a factory reset on the Kobo still Oops! Kobo said it is an Adobe problem, or a library issue. The 2 librarys I called have never heard of this problem. I looked at overdrive since they are now owned by Kobo and there is no mention of this error. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400939#9400939 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9400939#9400939 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked to Kobo just now they seem to realize the problem is with Kobo, They told me they were aware of the problem and were working on it. Since Kobo and overdrive are the same company it should be easy to fix.  Who knows... I will let the forum know if i get any information that helps. but to speed up the process you might want to give Kobo a call...Please give us a call at 1 (800) 368-5390 from 9 AM to 9 PM, 7 days a week. If they get enough of us calling they may actually try to fix the problem... ADE please leave this response intact as you clearly have no interest in the resolution.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At last some good news!  Thank you, and I will call them as well.  It does appear they may actually be going to fix it - the first phase is always to admit accountability for the problem, right?

Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2017 12:04 PM

created by jackieg31291561 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI talked to Kobo just now they seem to realize the problem is with Kobo, They told me they were aware of the problem and were working on it. Since Kobo and overdrive are the same company it should be easy to fix.  Who knows... I will let the forum know if i get any information that helps. but to speed up the process you might want to give Kobo a call...Please give us a call at 1 (800) 368-5390 from 9 AM to 9 PM, 7 days a week. If they get enough of us calling they may actually try to fix the problem... ADE please leave this response intact as you clearly have no interest in the resolution..  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9401557#9401557 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9401557#9401557 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this works - I have done EVERYTHING anyone has suggested. What a waste of time. I just want to get my books downloaded! Sounds so simple.

Look forward to getting this PITA resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving this a rest , as my Library is at it's limit, and can't add another book for 9 days, nor am I able to return one.  At the end of this time I will give it one more try - uninstalling, deleting authorizations, and redoing the whole blessed thing.  If I have no results at that time, my Kobo is going in the garbage (tired of waiting for help on the phone) and Adobe seems to dislike me, and thus I will go back to holding actual books in hand!  Good luck to all others.  This Oops episode has cost me not just hours, but days of grief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old 7 inch tablet i prefer the Kobo but as that is garbage for my needs, until this is resolved. I found i can install overdrive and digital editions to my tablet and add my library and FINALLY read my books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an old 7 inch tablet i prefer the Kobo but as that is garbage for my needs, until this is resolved. I found i can install overdrive and digital editions to my tablet and add my library and FINALLY read my books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am a bit technologically challenged; not owning a tablet, does it function as it's own PC or do you still use a computer with Kobo desktop to send books to your tablet?  I could read books on my desktop from the library, but that is impractical for me.  Perhaps I could look into getting a tablet if it is going to solve these never ending impasses.

[Personal info removed by moderator]

created by jackieg31291561 in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussionI have an old 7 inch tablet i prefer the Kobo but as that is garbage for my needs, until this is resolved. I found i can install overdrive and digital editions to my tablet and add my library and FINALLY read my books.  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9414657#9414657 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9414657#9414657 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Adobe Digital Editions by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and am unable to resolve. I have re-installed ADE, re-authorized my device, re-borrowed my library book and no success having had no problems within the last three months. Adobe doesn't offer support because ADE is a free product. Kobo identified the problem to Adobe. I'm hoping Overdrive can help me but that hasn't proved helpful either. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, but only with my laptop, not moving books from my netbook to my Kobo.  I finally solved the problem and after trying many things, I discovered it was a simple fix.  My netbook has Digital Editions 3, which works great.  My laptop has 4.5, which gives me the OOPs message.  I tried uninstalling version 4.5 and installing version 3, but got a different message.  It finally hit me that I was missing a step.  First thing I did was deauthorize my laptop.  Then I uninstalled version 4.5 and installed version 3.  I opened up Adobe Digital Editions and authorized my laptop.   I removed all the books from the Library.  I closed ADEditions and reopened it (no books), moved the books back in from my downloads file into Adobe Digital Editions and then onto my Kobo.  Voila!  It worked.  I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad this worked for you.  However, I followed these exact steps, and got the same darkened book image in Kobo with my old friend the Oops message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really sorry it didn't work for you.  I know how frustrating it can be.  Fixing my own problem made my day, but I hope the solution is permanent.  Time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

It's Maureenhutch again.  I had trouble signing in as my old maureenhutch and had to create a new adobe id to come and comment.  (STUPID ADOBE!!!)

Anyway,

I also had a lot of trouble with losing authorization on my e reader.  SO frustrating.  Even when I tried my old solution it didn't worked.  I found out that I had to DELETE the activation file in the ADE folder to get the software to PROPERLY reset.  Otherwise it just kept a cache of my old activation and couldn't reset.  I will include how to do this below.  Here are the steps that are most important to follow.

1.  Make sure you have your email addresses and passwords all correcting and matching for where you want authorization.  Write them down.

2. Erase all authorizations  Truly erase and reset them.  You may have to do this (on windows):

Open the Windows Registry. First, open the command prompt.

Click the Windows Start button and type cmd in the "Search programs and files" field at the bottom of this screen.

At the command prompt type:

regedit

Search for this folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept\Activation

Delete the Activation folder.

Here is my old solution, which hopefully will still work for those of you not already pulling your hair out!

If you’re having trouble getting library books on a kobo (quite probably a new one because changing things typically causes problems), try deleting all authorizations - (on your computer and on your ereader, but keep the ereader connected.)  Then go to your public library website and get a NEW book - (something about trying to open a book that you already took out somewhere, causes a glitch - for example if you previously opened a book on a tablet or phone, then that’s it - there will very very likely be NO OPENING it elsewhere, so make sure it is a newly borrowed one. If you are out of new borrows, you will have to use adobe digital editions to RETURN one your digital library books.  CLOSE and reopen ADE so that the return definitely happens).  After deleting all authorizations (check in all locations to make sure it shows no authorizations), download the new book to your saving spot,  then click it to make it open in adobe digital editions:  Adobe will then PROMPT YOU for the authorization. Use the drag down menu to find your library’s license type, for me it is Overdrive. Then enter your (Overdrive) email address and password. This should cause the book to open AND it also should cause your connected ereader to become authorized at the same time.  Click the back button at the top and then click your ereader, and then it’s gear sign to look to see if the ereader is also authorized. Even if it is not authorized, try dragging the new book onto it.  This should work immediately (as it did for me), or it should ask for an authorization. 

GOOD LUCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if this is an ongoing issue that Adobe need to resolve.  I had the issue with my old Kobo, which died.  I was very happy with my new Kobo when I could copy files without any problem.  After a month or so, the same problem developed on my new Kobo.  In my case, it frequently works if I just reconnect the device, delete the book from the Kobo (still keeping it in ADE) and just re-copy it to the device.  Copying the first time never works, copying the second time frequently.  The third option is to delete all files from the ADE and the computer and re-download the file.  This applies for books from the library, not for purchased books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I have updated my Kobo and ADE to latest releases.  This made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest Kobo update fixed the problem. Surprise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem wtih DRM error message on my Kobo ereader. I tried various solutions offered in this forum with no luck. Today, I read the instruction to restart my computer after uninstalling ADE_4.5_Installer. Then I reinstalled ADE_4.5_Installer. That solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UK (and perhaps other countries?) instructions to make your kobo work with Overdrive library books

I have a Kindle where I borrow books from my US library, but in the UK it does not work. Not wanting to jailbreak it, I bought a Kobo and hit the wall with repeated error messages preventing download.

If you get error messages such as

E_AUTH_NOT_READY

Or

This title has been downloaded using a different account. Authorize this app with the same OverDrive account (or Adobe ID) you originally used to download the title.

Or

E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

I hope this can help you.

Today I gave a good go at piecing together the information that is around from several sources (thank you all that worked so hard to get the various bits – I needed several of your suggestions)

I hope this compendium helps in resolving this issue:

1. Unauthorise your computer (Ctrl+Shift+D) in Adobe Editions
  2. Uninstall any adobe digital edition version you may have (if it’s not 3.0)
  3. Download ADE 3.0 from the following URL

http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/downloads.html

Note: IT MUST BE 3.0

1. Install ADE 3.0 on your computer.
  2. Make sure you delete any junk prior authorisations lurking in the depths of the computer as follows (Mac and Windows)
  3. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
  4. /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

Mac OS

Note:

If you are unable to find the activation.dat file in Mac OS X 10.7 or later versions, see Can't see user library files in Mac OS X 10.7 and later.

1. Click OK and quit Adobe Digital Editions.

Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10 versions

Troubleshooting reauthorization and deauthorization issues on Windows

Note:

The following task requires you to modify the Windows registry. The registry contains system-related information critical to your computer and applications. Before you modify the registry, create a backup copy. Adobe does not provide support for problems that arise from improper modification of the registry.

For more information about the Windows registry or the Registry Editor, see the Microsoft Support site.

If the deauthorizing process is unsuccessful on Windows, it is possible to modify the registry to remove the activation information.

1. Close all applications.
  2. Choose Start > Run.
  3. In the Open text box, type regedit, and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.
  4. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the registry key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
  5. Go to the Device folder
  6. Select the Adept key.
  7. Choose File > Export.
  8. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key. Click Save.
  9. Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.
  10. In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.
  11. Close the Registry Editor.
  12. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.

Now that you have got rid of those pesky files

Go in Overdrive to your library

Borrow a book and open overdrive in a browser (I did- I do not know if it makes a difference but just in case)

Choose download

When you click on the downloaded link (the .acsm file) it will ask you to authorise the device
Make sure you authorise with your overdrive credentials. I also noticed that in the drop down menu there are TWO overdrive links (actually several are duplicated). Why??? I used the first one if it makes any difference.

Connect the KOBO reader

Now you can transfer and read your borrowed library  books

It worked for me but it defies belief that this issue is around since 2014 and not sorted yet?!??

Happy reading and thanks again to all that provided input and parts of this text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope that this will be helpful to other Kobo users. I signed out of my account on my Kobo recently, and after I signed in again, I could no longer open books. Every time I tried, I received the error message: Oops! This document couldn't be opened. I tried syncing my Kobo with my account, doing a Repair of my account, signing out and in again, and doing a factory reset of my device, each multiple times, but the problem persisted. 

Finally, the following worked: I signed out again, but when I signed back in, instead of using the option to sign into my account on my device with my email and password, I used the six-digit code displayed on my device to sign in from the Kobo website on my computer, which did the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines