Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Dimension not running on Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Adobe Dimension does not run on Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I have found that the graphics card on even the highest spec version available is still one version previous to the minimum requirements for this software. This is extremely disappointing and I would like to see Adobe come up with a workaround for this. It's completely ridiculous that it won't run on Microsoft's flagship laptops that are made for graphics programs. My surface is only ONE YEAR OLD!

Specs: Intel Core i7-6650U CPU 2.20GHz 2.21GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor, 1TB SSD

***Any Adobe support people with a workaround or fix for this I would greatly appreciate a response!***

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

In our next planned update we are removing system requirements as a blocking factor.  We are testing that version now and you're welcome to join the Dimension CC Prerelease to get early access to that build and try it out.  This version will warn you when you're below a specific requirement but will not block you from using the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

Here is the correct answer from joeyqt​ just posted this morning:

"

POTENTIAL FIX (or for the developers to look into):

I looked around yesterday at issues laptop gamers have with VRAM and the integrated graphics cards (or basically CPU's doing the work instead of a dedicated graphics card).

The problem people had with those wasn't that their specs weren't good enough, it was the amount of VRAM being reported by the OS to the game at start up meaning it wouldn't load.

This is from an Intel board regarding dedicated graphics on intels HD graphics cards/drivers:

Dedicated Memory Reporting
The graphics driver now reports some amount of fictitious “dedicated” graphics memory to the operating system (128MB by default) to work around applications issues in a number of games. These games incorrectly look for some amount of “dedicated” graphics memory because they weren’t coded with the unified memory architecture for processor graphics.
The amount reported can be modified or disabled if desired by changing the following registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM, create a REG_DWORD value named “DedicatedSegmentSize”. The value is interpreted as number of MB to report (0-512MB). A value of 0 disables reporting the dummy memory segment. If the registry key/value is not found, the driver will report the default 128MB

Is it possible to increase the amount of dedica... |Intel Communities

There are some guides online for how to set the value in the registry so that the default isn't reported to the program and that seems to have allowed me to open Dimensions, so for those on windows and having an issue fear not (performance wise I can't comment yet as I have only just managed to load it), for those on MACs this sort of thing could be what's stopping your towers from running so check for similar issues, and the development team this could be worth looking at as why there seems a certain issue regardless of hardware specs (with mine being a laptop and graphics/RAM wise I'm on the minimum requirements side of things, others should have much better performance results if this is whats holding the program back from loading).

Hope that's helped guys.

UPDATE:  I've had a play around with it this morning and all's working as it should, Haven't done a render test yest but the live preview is working as it was in felix (the program is working as it was in felix in general, happy days!). "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Surface Pro 4, but I don't seem to be able to find the "GMM" value in the registry, and I'm reluctant to add a new value without knowing what effect might be. Any thoughts?

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you managed to fix this, I've only just seen my post was in this thread as well, you have to add the folder GMM folder yourself (right click, add key and then rename the folder "GMM"), then add the registry value and name it, depending if you're using windows 32 or 64 bit will be if you set a DWORD or QWORD value, just change the '0' to 512 (the minimum amount needed to tell Dimensions for it to accept you have enough).

Please make sure you backup your registry though before and read into editing registries etc, this is by no means a permanent fix or official way to get it working, just something I came across and tested myself which seems to have helped other windows users get it up and running.

Good luck and happy 3D'ing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to see a fix for the forum title's issue. Even the newer version did not work. It seems that since then they stopped addressing this particular issue and it got swept under the rug. I had to go back to your fix, joeyqt​. Thanks for posting that. If it wasn't for you I still would be unable to use this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you guys please let me know what in particular is happening?  We have not tested on a Surface Pro 4 as of yet.  Are you getting the system requirements not met dialog?  Or is it crashing?

I believe the issue is that these machines do not have VRAM and we require 512MB VRAM.  Windows can appropriate RAM to use as VRAM though.  Technically Dimension should work, but I'll need a bit more info on what's happening.  It would be also good to see the logs from your application.  Please do NOT attach your files here.  Please e-mail to tickets@adobedimension.com

Application Logs

DimensionGPUProfiler.log

Dimension.log

Mac:  ~/Library/Logs/Adobe/

Win:  ~\username\appdata\local\Adobe\Dimension

Crash Logs

Mac:  ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Win:  %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette,

I'm not using a Surface Pro, I re-read through the other forum post and realised it was here and wanted to try help.

I actually upgraded my version of windows 10 from home to pro today and went to do open up the pre-release version and faced the same problems I did initially (due to the upgrade resetting the registry). The problem I was getting both on the initial release and last weeks pre-release was the app opening and then a few seconds later as the "new document" dialogue box appeared it would close down straight away and display the minimum system requirements not being met error.

As I stated in the mini work around I came across from PC gamers issues with spec compatibility, it is from integrated graphics cards not actually having a dedicated graphics card for dimensions to acknowledge and by default in the windows registry it is "0" which is what dimensions will be picking up on despite the OS knowing otherwise. Judging by the Intel thread (viewed here... Is it possible to increase the amount of dedica... |Intel Communities ) the problem is how the program (in the case of that thread, the game) is asking for an amount of dedicated graphics memory, which for laptops/surface pro's isn't available due to them having integrated graphics...

"These games incorrectly look for some amount of "dedicated" graphics memory because they weren't coded with the unified memory architecture for processor graphics"

I'm by no means a coder or developer so I can't really say what "unified memory architecture for processor graphics" is, but judging by the post on that forum it is that some games aren't written in a correct format to accept processor graphics and therefor were displaying system requirements problems, which I think is probably what is causing the problem on many peoples machines with Dimensions, it isn't that the hardware specs aren't high enough, it's that the program is either assuming a dedicated graphics card, or requesting the OS state how much VRAM it has and by default windows will say 0/minimal amount and that is making Dimensions think the system isn't capable. If the developers can look into that and take inspiration from game developers who avoid that problem, they might be able to resolve the error showing as it isn't an actual hardware issue, rather a software/OS conflict.

I have't used Dimensions much but plan to over Christmas (and try some funky branded Christmas balls on backgrounds) so I'll try share those results when I do.

Hope that helps understand it more, I've got the program running again so can't create crash logs but hopefully any others coming across the post can. I did send my original crash logs after the initial install so they might give more detail.

Hope that helps, I'm off to watch Walking dead and leave my geek mode behind for the night lol .

PS, I checked out the video of the pre-release features, loving the switch to a canvas style view!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joeyqt  wrote

I'm by no means a coder or developer so I can't really say what "unified memory architecture for processor graphics" is,

its a guide to how well the system should be able to handle graphics and is NOT used by Dimension when you rendor i.e, V-memory for rendor (on Windows systems) is different than v-memory for display

as a side note, you can test your reg-hack worked by running a dxdiag ... intel systems are just coded to show a fake amount as a work around for windows systems (note your hack does not change any real amount of ram and is just how much it reports)

Screenshot (285).png

Screenshot (284).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution yet to run Dimension on Surface Pro?   

I have latest model with maxed out hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have been looking all over the net, i couldnt find the answer- i wanted to use it, but that "incompatible hardware" prompt shows even after i was able to do a sucessful render. Then i found it.

Hello everyone there is a work around this to use it on hardware that is not supported by adobe. Again, im not responsible since this is a hack- do this at your won risk.

So far, everything has been ok at my end- im able to render, great stuff but not as smooth i guess as what is required by the system, but hey it gets the job done!

I tried the hack on my Intel HD 400 (with intel icore 3, and 8 gigs ram)  , and on my Zotac 710gt 1gb (with a 3ghz core 2 duo processor on 4gb of ram). it works! and im able to run it on lower spec hd. Again, with some glitches. adobe, please give us more hardware support. i know its possible. i was able to do it.

please watch here: ADOBE DIMENSION RUNNING ON UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE HACK - YouTube

or read here:

https://steemit.com/adobe/@bluepersvlogs/run-adobe-dimension-on-unsupported-hardware-windo ws

Please support adobes work. and adobe, please be more lenient on the graphics card so more people can use your software. the specs are just too high, even keyshot allows me to render on a normal hd 4000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have been looking all over the net, i couldnt find the answer- i wanted to use it, but that "incompatible hardware" prompt shows even after i was able to do a sucessful render. Then i found it.

Hello everyone there is a work around this to use it on hardware that is not supported by adobe. Again, im not responsible since this is a hack- do this at your won risk.

So far, everything has been ok at my end- im able to render, great stuff but not as smooth i guess as what is required by the system, but hey it gets the job done!

I tried the hack on my Intel HD 400 (with intel icore 3, and 8 gigs ram)  , and on my Zotac 710gt 1gb (with a 3ghz core 2 duo processor on 4gb of ram). it works! and im able to run it on lower spec hd. Again, with some glitches. adobe, please give us more hardware support. i know its possible. i was able to do it.

please watch here: ADOBE DIMENSION RUNNING ON UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE HACK - YouTube

or read here:

https://steemit.com/adobe/@bluepersvlogs/run-adobe-dimension-on-unsupported-hardware-windows

Please support adobes work. and adobe, please be more lenient on the graphics card so more people can use your software. the specs are just too high, even keyshot allows me to render on a normal hd 4000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In our next planned update we are removing system requirements as a blocking factor.  We are testing that version now and you're welcome to join the Dimension CC Prerelease to get early access to that build and try it out.  This version will warn you when you're below a specific requirement but will not block you from using the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines