Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to OBJ not generating file

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I created a floorplan in Dimension. Using a mix of simple cube, pyramid and plane elements. 

I need to convert the file to an OBJ, but all I get when opening the OBJ in Photoshop is the H, which itself was imported into Dimension. When deleting the sign first and then exporting – I get a weird cube.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

scene in dimensionscene in dimensionexport to OBJ in PSexport to OBJ in PSexport to OBJ with sign removed. opened in PSexport to OBJ with sign removed. opened in PS

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension is not good at converting different file types into obj if they are not wavefront Obj files... Can you share the Dn file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Yes happy to – doing some tests, we managed to export single models from the normal sample range. but as soon as you add 2 planes, a cube (geometric cube) and a pyramid, all elements just get bundled onto a heap, and they don't keep their coordinates or places.

I was really looking forward to the prospect of OBJ export since it was announced as a big feature. All I need is to get this scene somehow into Cinema 4D for further development.

here is the file – 

https://we.tl/t-cHO9m9qdWw

thank you.

Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st wow its not offen my Ryzen takes so long to rendor ... yes the issue is the files and Dimension export to Obj is not working but its fixable or at least doable

rendorrendor

2nd this is a work around to get the models as Obj (that work);

make a selection that you want as a new model and export the model [s] as Glb

exportexport

then open that model in whatever you have that can... as a Windows user I like 3D paint because it comes free with the system and is fine for this simple step i.e, save the model as a Fbx

3D paint3D paint

now that the model is an Fbx we can open it in Blender (again free) and I recommend uping the scale to 10 because the convert to Fbx strips out your starting scale i.e, the model is very small

scale of 10scale of 10

at a scale of 10 you should have no issues so go ahead and export that from Blender as a Obj file

BlenderBlender

now that the model is Obj you can use Photoshop or whatever else needs Obj files

OBJ resultOBJ result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow - thank you so much for your help. I shall try and work that through now. I am on a Mac. Need to find something that works with GLB, the rest should be good.

I'll let you know how it goes. thank you so much for your help!

Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again. 

thank you for your help - your solution worked beautifully. even better – Blender supports GLB import now. so it was just the round trip to Blender to generate the OBJ.

thanks.

Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines