• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Introducing Adobe Substance 3D Stager and Dimension update!

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!  Jeanette here, lead product manager for Dimension.  It's been a little while since I've had an announcement for the community, but I'm very happy to be able to break the silence on some exciting news.

Today we launched a new application - Adobe Substance 3D Stager!  Stager is built by the same team that built Dimension with a shared foundation for some technology while also being a bit reimagined.  Where Dimension was a general purpose application that was intended for those new to 3D to learn, Stager is a dedicated scene staging application that is more powerful for professional 3D artists while retaining it's approachability for those learning 3D.

Stager.png

So what are some of the key differences between Dimension and Stager?

• Dimension was more general purpose where Stager is specifically part of the new Substance 3D Collection which offers multiple applications for an end-to-end 3D workflow including modeling, texturing, and staging.
  • The rendering engine has been updated and reworked to the Adobe Mercury Rendering Engine.  This engine is multi-technique, including both real time and ray tracing in a single engine.  It is built with entire new infrastructure for modernizing techniques, improving performance and scaling to be available on more hardware.
  • Stager's material system has been updated for a new version of the Adobe Standard Material definition with tons of new effects like displacement, subsurface scattering, dispersion, clear coat, sheen, anisotropy, and more.
  • Stager includes a variety of general new staging features including collision based layout, multi-camera resolution outputs, physical lights, and much more.

What does this mean for Dimension?

• Dimension will continue to be available as part of Creative Cloud All Apps plans - there is no change to it's availability!  To see Dimension Creative Cloud desktop go to settings > apps > and enable "Show older apps" setting.
  • Dimension doesn't have any major planned releases right now  - we'll be putting new features into Stager, but we will provide support updates for Dimension!
  • You can open Dimension files in Stager to take advantage of all the new features - also try Stager out for a full 30 day free trial!

Want to learn more about everything?  Check out some of these resources:

We're really excited about the opportunity to build a new family of 3D applications that work seamlessly to provide an end-to-end experience for modeling, texturing, and staging 3D models and scenes and we hope you enjoy the new Substance 3D Stager app!

--

Edit: 8/17

Thank you all for the great conversation on Dimension and Stager.  It's clear there's a lot of passion and excitement for amazing staging apps, and I take my duty to the community seriously.  Please know that all of your concerns about pricing, confusion on the Dimension status, and Stager future, have been escalated to our leadership teams and we're working on some possible improvements!

Here's a round up of the latest information based on some questions and discussion that have happened in various threads:

Dimension

• Dimension is still part of Creative Cloud All Apps plan.
  • Dimension is currently hidden by deafult on Creative Cloud Desktop.
  • To see Dimension you must go to CCD > Preference > Apps > and enable "Show older apps"
  • The "Show older apps" option may be disabled by administrators for education and enterprise organizations.
  • We are actively working to REVERSE this so that Dimension is not hidden, as it is confusing and inaccurate.
  • Update 8/19: This is now reversed!  Dimension is available by default and you no longer need to enable "Show older apps".
  • Dimension is NOT end-of-lifed, but we are not working on new features for it (at this time).

Stager

• Stager is exclusive to the Substance 3D Collection plan. 
  • There are currently not any single app plans for Substance apps - we are investigating this possibility!
  • It is not currently planned that any Substance apps will be added to the CC All Apps plans.
  • HOWEVER, the exception is that Substance 3D Collection is free for those with CC All Apps for Higher Education.
  • HOWEVER, the limitation is that Substance 3D Collection for Higher Education is available for Shared Device Licensing (SDL) and Feature Restricted Licensing (FRL).  It is not yet available for Named User Licensing (NUL).
  • We hope to work on Named User Licensing for Higher Edu support, but I don't have a clear timeline on that.  It's months at least.  Unfortunately there's little we can do to accellerate this.  Adobe licensing land is a bit complicated and we have people working on it!

As always I try to be as transparent as possible with the community, but there's limits to what I can say on a public forum.  Everything is subject to change, and I will do my best to communicate as we move forward!

Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive
TOPICS
Creative

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 230 Replies 230
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud desktop application open the profile > settings > apps > and enable "Show older apps".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected, yes I could install it after your message.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am just not getting why big companies like Adobe make it clearer for the end consumer from the get go. I mean when I search for the installation file on the website I am lead to a page that says sorry not existing.

I have to search for it somewhere almost hidden like a treasure (it probably is one) but I hope you as an Adobe manager understand why it can be frustrating for some customers.

This is not meant as a criticism, just as a hint, it should not be hard for a tech company to let the user know where to find certain (even older apps).

So, thanks again, I will check out Dimensions soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can make it show up for me, that would be amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jamain5E58 You are using an Enterprise license and therefore you will need to contact your Enterprise Admin to ask them to turn on this option for you.

@JMathews gave the same answer to you on June 29th ... just in case you missed it 🙂

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dimension/introducing-adobe-substance-3d-stager-and-dimension-update/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil,

I'm sat with my Administrator we turned on that switch and still nothing. @JMathews 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jamain5E58

Did you log out of your Creative Cloud account and log back in again?

Also, sometimes there can be a short delay when propagating network changes like this (I'm talking generally here, not Enterprise specifically 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette

If Dimension is still available, I can't see it.

There is no sign of it on the Adobe website as a downloadable app - see screen grab attached.

Or if I click on a link that reads 'Install app' it just takes me to the list of all apps and Dimension isn't one of them.

Can you give us a viable link to use please?

Thank you

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 16.39.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an exhisting user, and use Dimmension daily. It's critical to our business's proofing techniques and displaying our products to potential customers. 

New employees who we've just signed up for their CC membership aren't able to toggle "Show Older Apps".  Does that only apply when someone would have downloaded Dimension prior to July 1, 2021? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not be different for prior or new customers, however the preference may be turned off at the Adobe account administrator level.  If you reach out to your IT or account manager, they can enable that for your employees to be able to enable the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also if you use a proxy server at work it can take upto 24 Hours for setting changes to filter down to the work stations... yet another reason most people stop using proxy servers years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your work but I have to respond to your statements with despair. If Adobe insures Dimension's development in the future, your words would make sense. But is not so. Saying they are two separate plans doesn't answer the question: what will become of Dimension if it doesn't get development updates? Why do I have to pay for an app that will no longer have development updates?
Unfortunately, I have to tell you that Adobe's behavior, in this case, was very disappointing towards customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having substance as a add-on purchase requiring a CC# has made it difficlut to obtain within a large corportaion with IT contracts. I am not allowed to use my P-Card to make software purchases, and software purchases are made by IT via contract with OWC.  Need to figure out a way for enterprise users to easily get this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's like saying it's best for users to choose between static and motion, which are all part of CC All Apps plans. Adobe should offer all its apps as a point of continuing to lure our user support of their products.... especially when there are pre-existing apps that do 3D already out there.  Even Apple began offering Keynote/Pages/Numbers for free ass a courtesy, but also to encourage users to stay within their platform. Adobe should consider this augmented 3D space as a point of user retention, not an earnings grab. This actually makes me MORE interested in Blender (for free) instead of continuing with Dimensions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Based on this, then the argument could very easily be made that not everyone uses video, animation, or web design either… yet those are all included in the ALL APPS plan?!?! Back in the early 2000's there was a package called Creative Suite that had options for what print desingers needed most… Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. There clearly needs to be a few 'tiers' of packaging with Adobe products today as well… I'm paying for an ALL APPS plan, yet do not get 'all apps'. I'd much rather have a package option that allowed me to not pay for thigns such as Premiere, After Effeccts, Animate, and Dreamweaver… but I pay for them because I need to have more than just Photoshop and Lightroom— which the only other 'tier' available outside of the all apps plan. As a print designer, 3D mockups of marketing materials is important, so if I'm paying for an all apps plan to include InDesign and Illustrator, I should get Substance included as well… that way I can mockup a company's print materials onto products. Makes sense, no?!?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we define 'seamlessly' in different ways J but good luck with the new project and thanks for letting us know... its been a good run 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first release of these new apps under one family as an end-to-end, so lots of room to improve, but the vision is seamless, haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just disappointing was expecting a lot of these features like ray tracing to become a part of dimensions thought there was a big picture for it. Saddened by the extra fee. Any consideration to choose single apps over the entire substance plan? I don't create materials my style works perfectly with basic shapes and models so I wouldn't need those extra programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single app plans are not currently available.  There's always the possibility of new options opening up but not planned right now.  Dimension will remain available continued use with the Creative Cloud All Apps plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Dimension is no longer available. What happened? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: It's working. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep ... gotta alet people know to siwth the "old apps" switch in preferences!  Maybe that could be added to the messaging instead of the 404 page when going to download and the "Dimension no longer available" message from the CC app page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't launch Dimension anymore for my desktop? Is it really not gone?
dimensions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ydejes! I'm checking in on this - Dimension is remaining in Creatie Cloud All Apps so it is not intended.  Can you try signing out and then signing back in to Creative Cloud?  There has been some caching issues in general that can help force a refresh on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have just signed out and signed back in as I am experiencing the same issues, but to no avail.  I had issues with illustrator also earlier so I had to do a fresh reinstall but dimension has now disappeared. Any further advice?
Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reached out to the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop team and they are resolving a bug that was causing Dimension to not show - this was unintended and it should start showing again today.  Apologies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines